NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 08-24-2021, 08:45 PM

Arrow 1950s Minneapolis Lakers Jim Pollard & George Mikan

Picked these up tonight, but haven't found out really much of any info on them. They are photographs and they measure 3 1/2" x 5". Stamped on the back is the name of the studio "Newburg Studio" on 4th Street in Minneapolis. Photos are facsimile signed on the front. Players I have are Jim Pollard and George Mikan. A seller on ebay has a bunch of these that are autographed, but didn't offer much additional knowledge in the listing and has a Jim Pollard for sale. I have never seen another George Mikan.

Does anyone know what exactly these are? Approximate year? Value? Scarcity? Thanks in advance.

MikanPollardFront.jpg
MikanFront.jpg
MikanBack.jpg
Old 08-25-2021, 09:41 AM

These appear to be from a 1949-50 Minneapolis Lakers team set. I found a full set with envelope that sold quite a few years ago on ebay. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see a price. They seem to be quite rare. Anyone else have any info?
Old 08-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have a Pollard also. The pose is the same one used in the 1950-51 Lakers yearbook. Per David Kohler at SCP, who I contacted about it a few years ago, it is a team issue.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-25-2021, 05:53 PM

Thanks Adam. Do you have any idea how many of these could exist or how many were printed? Any idea of value?

I found a Mikan example from ebay that sold in 2018 for cheap. I think it was under $50. That seems so cheap compared to what the Scott's Potato Chips issues sell for.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They are rare but also obscure, unfortunately.

These early NBA Team Issue and oddball items are soooo hard to price. I love 'em and collect 'em but I usually just have to go with what feels about right rather than hard data. For a major HOFer pre-rookie, it just depends on the venue and promotion. I will buy early TI's of major HOFers all day at $30-$50, which is where you could often find them several years ago when I started. I thought, why not, here's a card from before the accepted RC in an era where the mainstream sets were few and far between, so they fill gaps in collections where it seems kinda stupid to discuss a RC otherwise. I mean, we are supposed to ignore the Condors TI and call the 1969 Topps Hawkins his RC, or the Jack In The Box Rockets and call the 1970 Topps the Riley RC? Seems counterintuitive. Lots of uncertainty, though, so lots of room to grow. I know it's been magical for some obscure issues like the Bell Brand Lakers. I wish I'd jumped on those damn things a decade ago, but they are so rare that I wasn't aware of them and by the time I saw them even the commons trimmed of the coupons were hundreds of dollars. Since then I've been grabbing other obscurities whenever I can. Probably would be a good thread subject...

But I digress.

I haven't seen any of these Lakers TI's sell so I am really not sure on value but my SWAG would be $200+ for Mikan and $20-$50 for other players, based on what early TI's sell for in other contexts and what Mikan's 'off brand' early cards go for, but who knows where it goes in a really strong basketball auction. It's a nice piece and I would certainly welcome it into my collection if I came across it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-26-2021 at 11:59 AM.