NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What % of your Net Worth is in Sports Cards and Memorabilia
0-5% 87 39.91%
5%-10% 56 25.69%
11%-20% 32 14.68%
21%-30% 14 6.42%
I am nuts...>30% 29 13.30%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2021, 10:27 AM
Joshua

Default Fun Poll: What % of Net worth in SportsCards and Memorabilia

Fun anonymous poll. That is the percentage of your net worth in sports cards and memorabilia. Sports cards only, no pokemon or star wars collections... haha

And net worth includes all assets including cash, stock, home, and other stores of values (like your pokemon cards and star war figurines).

Last edited by joshuanip; 01-30-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Joshua

I would love to see those collections that are 30+%. I thought I was nuts at a shade under 20%
Old 01-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No married man is going to take that poll...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-30-2021, 05:06 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That’s why is anonymous. Hahaha
Old 01-30-2021, 05:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Won't help; bitches be IT savvy...

Or not...
Old 01-30-2021, 05:16 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
I would love to see those collections that are 30+%. I thought I was nuts at a shade under 20%
Not so sure why any number is "nuts" given how cards' values have inflated over the years. Seems several cards I'd bought 10-15-20-25 years ago for $100, $500, $1000, are now worth $5000+, $10,000+, $20,000+, or more. So % worth may skew far more heavily towards cards than the proportionate amount of cost one originally invested in them.

Similar to spending a few bucks on Apple stock in 2008-2009, as compared with today's value.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:22 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Not so sure why any number is "nuts" given how cards' values have inflated over the years. Seems several cards I'd bought 10-15-20-25 years ago for $100, $500, $1000, are now worth $5000+, $10,000+, $20,000+, or more. So % worth may skew far more heavily towards cards than the proportionate amount of cost one originally invested in them.

Similar to spending a few bucks on Apple stock in 2008-2009, as compared with today's value.
Fair point... married men, don’t answer this poll... haha
Old 01-30-2021, 05:24 PM
Fred

0%

None of my cards are part of my "net worth". I don't consider this stuff an "investment". It's only cardboard.

Last edited by Fred; 01-30-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Fred

Quote:
I've been married a long time... I've been collecting this stuff longer than I've known my wife. Somehow, I've always inherently known to keep my collecting life separate from my married life. I guess it's like guys that have a "piece" on the side. They wouldn't even think about telling their wife about her. Pathetically, my extra "piece" is cardboard, but there's something to be said about guys that can admit that they like looking at pictures of dead guys on cardboard, right?
Old 01-30-2021, 07:34 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
0%

None of my cards are part of my "net worth". I don't consider this stuff an "investment". It's only cardboard.

If it's "only cardboard" to you, I'd be happy to take all of your cardboard off of your hands.
I'll even haul it away for free.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:31 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Won't help; bitches be IT savvy...
Funniest post of 2021! I even showed this to my wife and she was ROFL. Uncontrollable laughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Funniest post of 2021! I even showed this to my wife and she was ROFL. Uncontrollable laughter.

OMG - Your wife knows about this site/board???
Old 01-30-2021, 09:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
OMG - Your wife knows about this site/board???
My wife simply refers to Net54/eBay as the other woman. She's a jealous woman. She once told me she would gauge out Natalie Portman's eyes when I told her she was my Hollywood crush.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-30-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:21 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
0%

if they have value, they are part of your net worth whether or not you want to acknowledge it.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:42 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
My wife is an equestrian, so there isn't really much need to hide anything from her. The most I have ever spent on a card was a bit shy of $300. I write a $230 check to the farrier every 7 weeks. And that is just the beginning of the regular expenses. Plus there is the one-off expenses like the $2000 she is about to drop on a new saddle.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:58 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Remember they truly aren't worth anything until you monetize them.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 AM
Tom Re.bert

The lady collectors will spend some $$$ too! During the Beanie Baby craze around the holiday, I sold 9 Princess Diana's. The first 5 around 350/per, the last 4 at 450/per--I wonder if the lady buyers always inform their spouses all their purchase's besides the dozens of the shoes they buy every six month?
Old 01-31-2021, 06:23 AM
Scott Russell

Well if you're net worth is negative but you own cards does that mean it's over 100%???

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-31-2021, 06:38 AM
Pete Costanzo

Probably 30-40% for me after the recent surge. High end cards are too expensive to not consider them investments in my opinion. Their appreciation has rivaled if not beaten the stock market the past 20 years, at least the high-end cards. Insane right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 10:26 AM
Al Stein

As a retired finance professional, I remember the disclosure that went on all our presentations: "Past performance is not a predictor of future results".

Right now we can all feel good that our cards are worth more, but it seems to me that with most investments today, including cards, there is an attitude of easy money, which is dangerous. People are buying stuff just because they see it going up without regard for underlying fundamentals, in many cases without even understanding them.

I would not advise anyone to have 30% of their assets in anything. When you have your net worth tied up in things that appeal to only a small part of the market the risks are even higher than with a mainstream investment.

I've said this before, but one thing I like about the card market today is the prices have pried a lot of nice cards out of old card collectors' hands. I am still buying because of that, but I am concerned about whether in the long term cards will continue to appreciate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 11:07 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
As a retired finance professional, I remember the disclosure that went on all our presentations: "Past performance is not a predictor of future results".

Right now we can all feel good that our cards are worth more, but it seems to me that with most investments today, including cards, there is an attitude of easy money, which is dangerous. People are buying stuff just because they see it going up without regard for underlying fundamentals, in many cases without even understanding them.

I would not advise anyone to have 30% of their assets in anything. When you have your net worth tied up in things that appeal to only a small part of the market the risks are even higher than with a mainstream investment.

I've said this before, but one thing I like about the card market today is the prices have pried a lot of nice cards out of old card collectors' hands. I am still buying because of that, but I am concerned about whether in the long term cards will continue to appreciate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sounds like a Chicago Booth graduate.

This surge in prices reminds me of the early 90's when certain wax cases and other "new" material went flying through the roof.

When the "market" prices out the hobbyist, then the only people left are investors/speculators (which sometimes are hobbyist with, as Alan Greenspan said, feelings of irrational exuberance), playing chicken with each other. They're waiting to see who flinches first.

Unfortunately, the hobbyist are usually the ones that get burned worst because they have an emotional attachment. Then it'll be a scramble for the exit to see who gets left holding the goods at the highest price and who was smart enough to get out before the fall.

To those that are "investing". Don't take the above statement as a warning. It's just the rambling of a KNF that likes to stir the pot.

Edited to add - I choose not to look at my cardboard as part of my net worth. It aint worth nuthin unless you sell it.

Last edited by Fred; 01-31-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:28 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Liquid assets are worth what you can sell them for.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
But neither is stock or any asset for that matter...
Old 01-31-2021, 11:38 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
No one reads that last page... and they still performance chase anyways...

Not to take away your great point - old collectors are priced out... (thank u for that by the way) not only acts as a buffer (dip buying mentality) but changes the velocity of transactions, as the flipping is what really juices the prices. Are we overpriced? Maybe along with everything else, but relatively, with the standardization of grading and moving from in person transactions to online auctions, we’ve been sitting on tinder for sometime...

Last edited by joshuanip; 01-31-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or not...
Old 01-31-2021, 04:18 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Do people include a house they’re paying a mortgage on in their net worth as an asset?

I’d assume a HUGE majority of the population has a negative net worth if you don’t.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:42 PM
Fred

Adam, I gotta ask -

Is that a modified "High Times" cartoon?

Edited to add - Ok, I googled Freewheelin Franklin - I remember that from such a long time ago. Made my day.

Last edited by Fred; 01-31-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:11 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I’d assume a HUGE majority of the population has a negative net worth if you don’t.
Just as a note the median net worth of American's is 52k as of 2016
Old 01-31-2021, 07:10 PM
Joshua

Not meant to be technical but you do include the house in your assets and subtract debt including credit lines and mortgages.

My point is I’d like to redo this poll a year later and see where we shake out. I’d bet you see a less tailed distribution with these card prices...
Old 02-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Adam, I gotta ask -

Is that a modified "High Times" cartoon?

Edited to add - Ok, I googled Freewheelin Franklin - I remember that from such a long time ago. Made my day.

Or not...