NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Richard Simon

Default If you like the band Chicago from the old days

I have watched this video about half a dozen times in the last few days. It is great.
Chicago at Tanglewood doing 25 or 6 to 4, with an amazing Terry Kath on a guitar solo starting at about the 3 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAUoz7jimg

After that song is I'm A Man, also fantastic Kath.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Mike Dugan

Richard I saw them around 1972-73 in Little Rock, still one of my favorite concerts of all-time!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Bill Gregory

About three weeks ago, all I listened to for two solid days was early Chicago, and I focused on Terry's playing, and singing. I loved his voice, too. They called him the white Ray Charles; he had so much soul.

And as a guitarist, he was amazing. Hendrix literally said something to the effect of "I'm good, but that guy Terry Kath in Chicago Transit Authority is better than me."

I really need to buy Chicago's first five albums on disc. Terry was the heart and soul of the band, and when he died, the real Chicago did, too. I respect that they've never really stopped playing, even through a million lineup changes (and with Cetera's massive ego); but the thing that made the band truly special died when that gun went off. Without the horns and Terry Kath, there just is no Chicago, imho.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Bill- I couldn't agree more! Let's go find those CDs...if they exist.

Richard - thanks for sharing the link...can't wait to watch it!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Bill Gregory

Christ, he was something, wasn't he? He infuses so many different musical elements into his playing. Rock, blues...jazz. The greatest compliment I can give a guitarist is that when they play from inside, there is no real outline to what they're going to do. You take all those hours of practicing, perfecting your technique, and when you get on stage, you just let your nuts hang out. Terry Kath's solo here in "25 Or 6 to 4" is a transcendent moment in rock history. That wasn't just playing outside of the box. That was kicking the box open, ripping it to pieces, and setting it on fire.

When I think of some of the guitarists we've lost young, Randy Rhodes being another...it makes me want to cry. I've played for about 25 years, but I'll never be that good. But these guys inspire me to keep pressing.

Oh, and.....hey, Kirk Hammett. See? THAT is how you use a wah pedal.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Just Watched! Kath was amazing!

...but, I have to say it:

I gotta have more Cowbell!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Bill Gregory

Weird, can't direct post Youtube videos on this particular forum.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Richard Simon

Glad to see early Chicago fans here besides me.
May I suggest Chicago At Carnegie Hall on CD or vinyl.
An amazing concert.
And they finally got into the Rock HOF.
About time Cleveland!!
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-23-2016, 02:50 PM

At my High School (also Frank Thomas's), in MY day, the band always played Chicago tunes at pep rallies.

...and in ART class, Rare Earth or Grand Funk Railroad was always on the record player*.

*- for you youngster's, that's what we had 'back in the day'.

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-23-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:01 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Southern California Purples anyone?
Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
At my High School (also Frank Thomas's), in MY day, the band always played Chicago tunes at pep rallies.

...and in ART class, Rare Earth or Grand Funk Railroad was always on the record player*.

*- for you youngster's, that's what we had 'back in the day'.
Vinyl is very popular now. Those old records still sound great.
--
Old 06-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Bill Gregory

Vinyl sounds better than CDs. Unfortunately, I have limited space, and my CD collection takes up less room than a plethora of records, and a record player, would. My 700 films take up enough space as it is.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I have played this original Chicago Transit Authority album many times since I purchased it back in 1969. And, it has not worn out, yet.
It must be "Gold-Plated"

I love Jazz and I love Rock.....and, Chicago has always provided a good blend of both these music styles.

From the Beginnings my favorite song of theirs is....Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is ?
Every time I hear it, I have "flashbacks" to some very fond times in my youth.

Saw them live in 1973 in Westbury (NY), and in 1993 (Valley Forge Music Fair).

TED Z
Old 06-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Ted - This may be a stretch, but do you like Marshall Tucker? Jazzy Southern Rock - unfortunately, most of them have passed away too.

Love that CTA logo!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Chicago on the Spot

OMG That solo was fun to watch!
Always one of my favorite classic rock songs , I didn't realize how hard they jammed live!
Thanks so much for sharing, Richard!

Bill and Raymond ...I know it's digital quality , not beloved vinyl...but if space is a concern, just subscribe to Spotify.

They have pretty much every Chicago song and album on demand...even on the free version you can just dial them up anytime. The subscription version you can save them onto your digital device and play them even when not connected to the www

Of course, Spotify has practically *every* song by every artist or so it seems...
On the threads talking about lesser known favorites and all-time greats, I often look up and listen to some songs or bands that you guys mention here.
It's amazing to discover new music this way. So I encourage that Spotify app...and while you are there, listen to some Porcupine Tree <Deadwing ....or the Incident>

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:37 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I was in band from fourth grade until I graduated High School in 1972 (a drummer). Chicago was always my favorite, and I spent many hours with my headphones on playing along on my Ludwig drum kit. Their drummer Danny Seraphine was amazing too. Thanks for posting the video link it was great to see.
Larry
Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Vinyl sounds better than CDs. Unfortunately, I have limited space, and my CD collection takes up less room than a plethora of records, and a record player, would. My 700 films take up enough space as it is.
I still have the vinyl from my youth and a large CD collection too.
Enjoy them both as much as possible.
I am glad my video link has been so well liked.
I try to have music on all the time in my home, except when my political addiction makes me turn on the TV (I won't start a political discussion here, I won't even mention the network I watch, it would make Leon frown ).
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-24-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:31 PM
H Murphy

Default Chicago................

Does anybody REALLY know what time it is...................................
Old 06-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default New Chicago release

For you Chicago fans, I got this email from Relix:

Hot on the heels of Chicago's recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the celebration of the legendary "rock band with horns" musical legacy continues with a new boxed set that includes quadraphonic and stereo mixes in high resolution 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio on nine Blu-ray Audio discs.

The CHICAGO QUADIO collection is housed in a rigid two-piece box with nine albums presented in sleeves that replicate the original release down to the last detail, including mini posters, and the iron-on that came with Chicago VIII. To ensure optimal sound quality, Rhino has remastered each album in both its original quadrophonic and stereo mix on each disc, and so that the quadrophonic mix will play on surround sound systems.
CHICAGO QUADIO is available now.

The cost is about $160.00

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Ted - This may be a stretch, but do you like Marshall Tucker? Jazzy Southern Rock - unfortunately, most of them have passed away too.

Love that CTA logo!

Hi Raymond

I've heard of the Marshall Tucker band, but I'm not familiar with their music.
Tell me about this Jazz/Rock group ?

TED Z
Old 06-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Does anybody REALLY know what time it is...................................
It's 25 or (2)6 to 4.
--
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I have played this original Chicago Transit Authority album many times since I purchased it back in 1969. And, it has not worn out, yet.

It must be "Gold-Plated"

I love Jazz and I love Rock.....and, Chicago has always provided a good blend of both these music styles.

From the Beginnings my favorite song of theirs is....Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is ?
Every time I hear it, I have "flashbacks" to some very fond times in my youth.

Saw Chicago live in 1973 in Westbury (NY), and in 1993 (Valley Forge Music Fair).

TED Z

Let's take a moment to sing......

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had
stopped cold dead
And I said
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock,
oh, so I just don't know,
I just don't know
And I said, yes I said

People runnin' everywhere
Don't know the way to go
Don't know where I am
Can't see past the next step
Don't have to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to die
Oh no, no

TED Z
Old 06-25-2016, 06:24 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Ted - This may be a stretch, but do you like Marshall Tucker?
Here's my Marshall Tucker Band story. I was just out of high school and still living in Southern California. I had just started dating my now ex wife, this had to be 1973 maybe 1974. My friend Dave Hall gave me two tickets to see the Marshall Tucker Band at the LA Forum (I think). You will never guess who the opening band was. KISS!
Larry
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Here's my Marshall Tucker Band story. I was just out of high school and still living in Southern California. I had just started dating my now ex wife, this had to be 1973 maybe 1974. My friend Dave Hall gave me two tickets to see the Marshall Tucker Band at the LA Forum (I think). You will never guess who the opening band was. KISS!
Larry

In the years just before they 'hit it big', KISS had a regular July 4th gig in my little hometown of Columbus GA

"You can look it up!" (somewhere, I don't know where - but it is true!)

Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Rich Nelson

Amazing guitar solo! I always liked the solo on the album, but this one blew it away. They have the entire show posted, will have to find time to watch it. My first song I heard from them was Saturday In The Park. I bought that album and it has been one of my favorite albums ever since.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Jerry

Don't get me wrong on this because I always liked Chicago , especially early stuff.
But me and a couple of my shipmates walked out on them in 1970 Long Beach arena. Why?.. Grand Funk had just fried our brains.
On that night after a heavy dose of on time and red album songs, we just wanted to go home and listen to more Grand Funk.
Our favorite FM station played Funk all night that night after the concert.

Last edited by TheBig6; 06-30-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Joe

There is a tribute band to Chicago called "Brass Transit". If you ever get the chance go see them. You'll be back in the 70's all night.