NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Default R&S Artistic Series

Posted By: jamie

I had an interesting find this week- an old scrapbook dated Christmas 1888 filled with Lion Coffee 'scraps' and a Boston R&S Artistic Series. In the Standard Catalog, it indicates that the 1888 date is speculative but this seems to lend pretty good credence to that fact.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Yes the date should be correct and these are fairly easy to find. Gorgeous colors though.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't have my nifty little ACC reprint book with me but these were also used on the N352's that Jc and I just picked up in Lew's auction....

Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

I noticed these when they sold and have followed the comments here about them. Do you think these are something that should be added to the Standard Catalog? I'm leaning towards "not," because they are clearly an after-market creation - just scrap book fodder pasted onto a nice generic card.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Hi Bob, as much as I would love to agree with you because Leon owns it and out bid me on it (bummer!), I must disagree. I think they are not generic because the back lists the different types of artistic figures you can get on it. On the other hand, I find it very strange for the period that they fit so "sloppily" on the front over top of the border. Very uncharacteristic of the period when people took precious time and care in making things right. There are other cards in the artistic series that are not listed on the back, example - boxing. But please do put the value at $10.00 each since Leon and JC bought these for collecting only and not investment.

You know what else is strange as all hell. The player pictured above was obviously pasted on to the consolidated card way after the fact since the player's head is covering a wicked crease yet the player's head has no crease. Also very strange.

I guess if the player isn't adhered to the backing in all places, that maybe the backing was creased w/o affecting the die cut.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Not sure if you list the R & S ones as I don't have my big book here at work but if you list those then I think you should list these. It is very obvoius the card was made for the die cuts. I guess there is a possibility that other die cuts could be used but N352 is listed in the ACC. I consider it a baseball card and so does one of your friendly peers...Oldcardboard.com.....regards

Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Yes Leon, the Artistic series is listed in the book. And if oldcardboard says it is a card, then it must be a card.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

The reason I said I think it is a card is not really because my good friends at OldCardboard say it is. It's because when I hold the card in my hand, and look at the baseball player on it, and turn it over and it says "Consolidated Cigarette Company" and mentions baseball players....it makes me think of a baseball card.....that's all....I guess it could be a mouse in house in Laos....or was that Green Eggs and Ham ? I'm going friggin' crazy with this stuff.....first beer is on you

Old 05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Dan hit upon one of my main stumbling blocks to giving these "cataloged" status. It would be too easy to acquire the cards of the less desireable subjects -- Limey soldiers, fencers, girl ballet, etc. -- soak off the scrap and replace it with an R&S. In fact, given the observation that an uncreased part of the illustrated ballplayer lies over a several diagonal crease, it looks to me like I'm not the first to think of such a substitution.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

It's obviously a fake that I bought from Lew's personal collection...I should have known.....I will continue to use the ACC because I am a bit of a purist and since my collection focuses on ACC (not SCD although SCD is good) type cards I am comfortable with it...just as Corey is with his handcut card. It's all in one's comfort level. best regards and thanks for the discussion...

btw, the other 3 cards and this one together make me think they are real..but I've been wrong before....still an ACC N352 whether anyone thinks so or not...

Old 05-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

unless someone beats me to it...

Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Fair enough, first beer on me in Chicago.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Personally I'd like to see every issue in the standard catalog. Especially if non-baseball player issues like T203 Mayo Comics, N88 Duke Terrors, and N135 Duke Talk of the Diamond are in, then N352s should make it, as well as the Murad College Series (T6 & T51).

Old 05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Some Murads (T51s?):

Some R and S Artistic Series (no designation):