NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2019, 12:17 PM
M@rk Comer

You got me!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Brian

Default Historic Omission ?

I would think that Cap Anson belongs on any sort of list for a few reasons:
1) he played an integral role in establishing the color-line (and then enforcing it) back in the 1880's and
2) he was a tool of management and was disliked by his teammates (he was kind of a player-manager) and made their lives difficult;
3) he backed the owners not his fellow players in the 1889-91 player's league rebellion period; and
4) as much as any other great player he was a really arrogant guy who was known to complain or "kick" (hence,"Baby Anson") ceaselessly.

---
I'm not sure I can hate him (except for #1 above)... His career ended in the 1890's.
.....Ryan Braun I dislike .

Last edited by Misunderestimated; 12-29-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Brooks Robinson has to be up there.
????? A weird joke maybe?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Saying Manny was bad on defense it pretty odd, he led the league in outfield assists twice. And led the league in fielding percentage while playing left at Fenway which has made some good fielders look foolish.

And... No Bucky Dent? Or Mike Torrez (A Yankee saboteur) Or Don Zimmer? Ok, not as a player, but as a manager who wouldn't take pitcers out until they'd given up 6-7 runs..
Old 12-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Disagree there. The Brewer first baseman didn't even have the fundamentals of the game down when he placed his entire foot on first base while awaiting the throw. The commentators had a big to-do about nothing when Manny unintentionally stepped on his heel while crossing first base. I say it was unintentional because Machado had two previous knee surgeries and wouldn't have risked injuring himself by stepping on the guy's heel like that. It's actually a higher risk to the batter running full-speed through the bag because stepping on something other than the base can send a batter sprawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I agree. I remember his dirty plays during the playoffs against the Brewers in 2018.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quite true! Cobb was NOT a racist. Cobb was known for his willingness to barnstorm against Negro League competition at a time when true racists like John McGraw refused to do so. Here's a telling quote from Ty Cobb: "The black man has just as much of a right to play major league baseball as the white man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Don't drink the kool aid, Cobb was not racist. He started a scholarship program for minorities in Detroit and said Jackie Robinson was the only player he would pay to watch play. Stump just destroyed Cobb every chance he got.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:19 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Quite true! Cobb was NOT a racist. Cobb was known for his willingness to barnstorm against Negro League competition at a time when true racists like John McGraw refused to do so. Here's a telling quote from Ty Cobb: "The black man has just as much of a right to play major league baseball as the white man."
Just because someone is not as racist as some of his contemporaries doesn't necessarily mean he was not racist. Every white man from previous generations was a racist, bigot, misogynist, or discriminated openly. Every person today discriminates in some way. It's just the way it is. A racist can still admire a person of color for their skill, and talk horribly about the minority serving them food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-30-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Saying Manny was bad on defense it pretty odd, he led the league in outfield assists twice. And led the league in fielding percentage while playing left at Fenway which has made some good fielders look foolish.

And... No Bucky Dent? Or Mike Torrez (A Yankee saboteur) Or Don Zimmer? Ok, not as a player, but as a manager who wouldn't take pitcers out until they'd given up 6-7 runs..
Agreed,also Manny Ramirez is gold glover compared to JD Martinez in the field.
Manny was a decent fielder. Started out as a rf with the Indians, than moved to lf with the Red Sox.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 12-30-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I had the pleasure and good fortune to visit many men who played both with and against Babe Ruth. Always thinking that they were tired of decades of being asked about him, I never once was the first to bring up Ruth's name in our conversations. Each time, the player wanted to speak about The Babe. He was beloved by all these men. As to his being boastful or some of his greater misdeeds, the guys I knew pretty much just let Babe get a free ride because of his stature and the fact that he treated each one of them decently. The combination of those two facts sealed the deal with each of the players (I'm not talking about a small handful of players, either!)
Sounds very interesting,and good to know about the Babe. Thanks for sharing. I am a big Babe Ruth fan. I don't think no other player dominated their sport like he did for what a good 15 years? Great hitter and pitcher.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 12-30-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Personally don’t really care for Willie Mays. Even though a great ball player I wouldn’t take or purchase a card or collectible related to Mays I guess I would t mind “looking” and enjoying someone else’s collection of him, but I have to separate the ballplayer from the personality.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:52 AM
Derek Granger

(1) Cobb - should be removed due to misinformation
(2) I actually agree with many on your(?) list although I’d like fewer 1980s-90s players to be replaced with ones that pre-date that era or for a few who are still playing today (Bryce Harper?)
(3) Lastings - Never heard of him
(4) Two players who have “f’ing” for a middle name should be on the list: Bucky F’ing Dent and Aaron F’ing Boone (from a Red Sox fan perspective)
(5) Cap Anson from a historical perspective due to his involvement with keeping black players out of the game
(6) as a young Astros fan of the mid ‘80s, I hated the entire New York Mets team of 1986. Wally Backman, Lenny Dykstra, Mookie Wilson, etc. I think Dykstra could/should make the list.

Despite everyone’s digs, I appreciate the attempt.

This video of Albert Belle gets me every time. I’ll never forget seeing it live on tv:

https://youtu.be/VV3fNK31HD4

I love how not even one teammate of Vina sticks up for him. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to stand up to Belle. He was clearly one of the most feared players. Hated, meh.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 12-30-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
A few comments from a 58 year old Red Sox fan from Boston.

First ,I don't think I could ever hate an athlete but certainly dislike many, probably no more than Jack Tatum who I would put on this list even though he was Football. As a lot of the players mentioned have a Red Sox connection I will comment on some:

A.J. Pierzynski
I don't know anyone who cared for him and I've heard that he was very disliked among his peers

Alex Rodriguez
Yes to this list although in the last 3-5 years he has really redeemed himself with his on air work and seemingly 'nice guy' persona

Babe Ruth
No. He was not equally hated as of loved during his playing days. This statement is borderline preposterous. He was no saint but he was loved a lot more than hated

Bill Buckner
The fans in Boston NEVER hated him. When he cam back to Boston he got a standing ovation. Most Boston fans blame the manager, not Buckner. He should not have been on the field.

Carl Everett
Don't know anyone who liked him.

Curt Schilling
Should be one of the most loved ex-players in Boston - but he opens his mouth. Heard him once on his radio show - sad.

Hank Aaron
There was a very small percentage of racist bigots who hated him. The same people who burn crosses and wear white sheets. They are/were definitely in the minority.

Jackie Robinson
Ditto, although more people and more vocal. I would guess that a large percentage of whites were in his corner

Jim Rice
Surly. Could be very unlikable, but could also turn on the charm.

Manny Ramirez
In Boston people would shake their heads and say "Manny being Manny"

Pedro Martinez
Maybe one of the most beloved athlete (in Boston at least). Don Zimmer charged him, not the other way around.

Roger Clemens
I can see him being on the list, from a Boston perspective. However, if he had just said "I'm sorry, I made a mistake", he'd be in the HOF and having his number retired at Fenway with a standing ovation

Kids loved Babe Ruth and he loved them. Could care less what ignorant adults think.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
"(good read)" Seriously? Bub, methinks you oughta hightail it to your nearest car wash in a convertible.
Maybe we can reserve a spot for anyone who designates his own words as a "good read" on the 50 most hated writers list.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Every white man from previous generations was a racist, bigot, misogynist, or discriminated openly.
???? EVERY man? I don't even know how to respond to such nonsense.

Last edited by robw1959; 01-01-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Personally don’t really care for Willie Mays. Even though a great ball player I wouldn’t take or purchase a card or collectible related to Mays I guess I would t mind “looking” and enjoying someone else’s collection of him, but I have to separate the ballplayer from the personality.
I don't know much about his personality, but when I was a teenager I wrote him a short letter asking for his autograph, to which he replied and signed, "To Bob - Best wishes, Willie Mays." So in my opinion his personality couldn't have been all bad.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

Do you want me to change to every human? The number of people I've met who I would say does not fall into this category is zero. In some way, every person discriminates. I lived in Thailand as a Christian missionary, and they were wonderful people. Welcomed me with open arms, listened to my spiel, and kindly rejected my message. Then they would tell me how racist Americans are. Then I would ask what they thought about people from Burma (Myanmar), and they would tell me they (the collective THEY) are thieves and liars. All human beings discriminate in some way.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-01-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
????? A weird joke maybe?
It is. I’m actually a massive Brooks fan.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Just because someone is not as racist as some of his contemporaries doesn't necessarily mean he was not racist. Every white man from previous generations was a racist, bigot, misogynist, or discriminated openly. Every person today discriminates in some way. It's just the way it is. A racist can still admire a person of color for their skill, and talk horribly about the minority serving them food.

Suggest you read A Terrible Beauty. An excellent book about Cobb and not that piece of excrement Stump wrote.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:07 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Everyone has experiences, opinions, preferences, attitudes, etc., but not everyone takes it to the level of being a racist, bigot, misogynist, etc. There are actually a lot of people (including white people) who do judge a person by the content of their character.

Other things equal, I would rather date a beautiful, young woman, than an elderly, ugly one. Does that fit your definition of "open discrimination?" If so, then I guess you might be right.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Mark

How about Curt Flood? (At least from an ownership perspective)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Suggest you read A Terrible Beauty. An excellent book about Cobb and not that piece of excrement Stump wrote.
Or the even better "War on the Basepaths" on the same subject.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Do you want me to change to every human? The number of people I've met who I would say does not fall into this category is zero. In some way, every person discriminates. I lived in Thailand as a Christian missionary, and they were wonderful people. Welcomed me with open arms, listened to my spiel, and kindly rejected my message. Then they would tell me how racist Americans are. Then I would ask what they thought about people from Burma (Myanmar), and they would tell me they (the collective THEY) are thieves and liars. All human beings discriminate in some way.
Let's assume that your patently absurd premise is actually true. That every human is a racist. So then, what's your point?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Hence why I didnt.

I know I'm not included, I hate everyone just the same

Group hug

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-02-2020, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's just the further 'snowflake-ization' of our country. No matter what the subject is, just call everyone a racist. Pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I actually had a long convesation with a Phillies long time producer and he said Dick Allen and Richie Ashburn were not liked, he gave some specific stories but they would likely 'out' him so i have to hold back..i see Allen is on the list already

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhss View Post
My opinion of Ty Cobb changed after reading “Ty Cobb - A Terrible Beauty” and realizing that most of what I knew about him was based on flawed information published by Al Stump and never questioned by film makers and documentaries. He wasn’t a saint, but most likely not the devil he is portrayed as (and what people love to hear).
Exactly. I just wrapped up reading this book. He certainly was a prideful man and didn’t tuck his temper away often if any but not the devil he has been remember as. The man did great in the game and extraordinary as a business man and investor.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 PM

Y’all should have witnessed the hate heaped on Cal Ripken Jr. when he said on national television that Adrian Beltre was a better 3B than Brooks Robinson. There has alway been a segment of Baltimore that’s looked at Ripken as too corporate and national.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Interesting thread......always hear Willie Mays is not a nice person. He's 88, is he still ornery?

Last edited by Leon; 01-06-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I may be late to the party here but Gary Sheffield should most certainly be on this list. Just ask any Brewers fan who had to live through Sheffield's short time in the Brew City and they would surly agree that all he did was whine about the city, complain the team was racist and reportedly booted ground balls on purpose and tanked his own performance to get a ticket out of town.

Gary Sheffield was never welcomed back to town and to this day, his name is still tainted by Brewers fans who remember this guy.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I may be late to the party here but Gary Sheffield should most certainly be on this list. Just ask any Brewers fan who had to live through Sheffield's short time in the Brew City and they would surly agree that all he did was whine about the city, complain the team was racist and reportedly booted ground balls on purpose and tanked his own performance to get a ticket out of town.

Gary Sheffield was never welcomed back to town and to this day, his name is still tainted by Brewers fans who remember this guy.
"they would surly agree that all he did was whine....." Nice accidental pun.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Good Read

This has been a good read. The initial list was interesting, even if people don't agree with specific players on the list. There have been some good suggestions about possible additions and subtractions, and of course, it wouldn't be Net54 without a couple of spats.

Thanks, Paul aka P Diddy G, Soup Can, Leon's Favorite, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Paulie Walnuts

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Interesting thread......always hear Willie Mays is not a nice person. He's 88, is he still ornery?
Many of the black players from that era were surly towards white fans (understandably so), even to this day. He and Frank Robby were like that at autograph shows. I've heard the same about Bob Gibson also, but was nice to me.

A couple that should be on the hated list are Alex Johnson and Alan Wiggins. I believe Alex Johnson had some mental illness issues, even threatened his friend Chico Ruiz with a gun in the clubhouse. Here is some more about his story https://tht.fangraphs.com/cooperstow...-alex-johnson/

To be fair, Eric Show could make this list also with Alan Wiggins. I think there were a lot of race issues on the mid-80's Padres. Show was a John Birch member. Wiggins later in his career would not sign for white fans.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I have to say that Reggie Jackass was the most miserable person I ever met. What a conceited piece of shit.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

If you had surveyed the players in the early 1970s, Jim Bouton would have been high on their list. But I think most fans liked his books and enjoyed reading the behind the scenes revelations. And I think time softened any hard feelings towards Bouton, with a few notable exceptions (like Steve Barber.)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:05 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank a View Post
i have to say that reggie jackass was the most miserable person i ever met. What a conceited piece of shit.
+1000
Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 PM
Brian

Default Could be some additions coming to this List

from the Astros scandal ... I guess it will take a while to play out and it depends on who is doing the hating - fans, other players, media etc.
Cheating is weird that way. People hate different kinds of cheaters differently and view different kinds of cheating differently over time. We sometimes defend our own "cheaters" (NE Patriots fans??)
Looking Back:
John McGraw "cheated" but he was considered sharp and brilliant
Gaylord Perry and Phil Niekro cheated but they made the HOF... Also people don't really hate them; they were "crafty" and clever pitchers.

More recently the PED scandals created a different kind of cheating and hatred:

People loved Manny, Big Mac and Sammy, but they don't any more. 550+ homers and no HOF for any of them.

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are NOT in the HOF either ... a lot of people really really hate them even though they are statistical giants and among the best ever(1).

Meanwhile it seems like everyone (except J-LO) hates AROD ... even Yankee fans...

We'll see what happens to Altuve -- who everyone loved... but now? What was he hiding under his jersey when he won?
The great Carlos Beltran was one his way to manage the Mets and probably Cooperstown. Now does he have to go hang out with Rafael Palmeiro or something?

The Astros manager was a genius, and the GM too, but now they banned and unemployed ... so is Cora. And it's not over....