NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Rich

Default Ruth - Gehrig 1930s cards

One of the things that has always fascinated me and I've always wondered about is the appearance and non-appearance of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in early to mid-1930s national baseball card sets. Arguably the top two players from that era, they go missing in some major sets.

We know that Babe Ruth signed an exclusive contract to appear on Goudey cards in 1933, leading to his absence on sets like Delong, Tatoo Orbit and others. Lou Gehrig also appears in the '33 Goudey set, but his was not an exclusive agreement, as he shows up in Delong. So, 1933 is easily understandable.

In 1934, Gehrig gets the exclusive treatment from Goudey with the Lou Gehrig Says set. However, Ruth disappears. Coming off an excellent 1933 season, at a time when he'd be in big demand to include in a national set, he doesn't appear in Goudey, Batter Up or Diamond Star.

Ruth returns to Goudey in 1935 in his last season, but now Gehrig disappears. Meanwhile, neither get added to Batter Up or Diamond Stars. In 1936, once again, Gehrig is not in Goudey and again not added to Batter Up or Diamond Stars. And finally, Gehrig is nowhere to be found in 1938 Goudey or 1939 Play Ball. The biggest name in baseball and no major cards (outside of premiums and the like) after 1934.

I'm very curious if anyone has any thoughts as to why these two were missing from so many major sets...
Old 09-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Rich

No thoughts from anyone on this? I apologize if this has been discussed before... just thought it interesting and a bit weird that especially Gehrig goes MIA in the major sets of the mid to late thirties...
Old 09-27-2020, 04:02 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
One of the things that has always fascinated me and I've always wondered about is the appearance and non-appearance of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in early to mid-1930s national baseball card sets. Arguably the top two players from that era, they go missing in some major sets.

We know that Babe Ruth signed an exclusive contract to appear on Goudey cards in 1933, leading to his absence on sets like Delong, Tatoo Orbit and others. Lou Gehrig also appears in the '33 Goudey set, but his was not an exclusive agreement, as he shows up in Delong. So, 1933 is easily understandable.

In 1934, Gehrig gets the exclusive treatment from Goudey with the Lou Gehrig Says set. However, Ruth disappears. Coming off an excellent 1933 season, at a time when he'd be in big demand to include in a national set, he doesn't appear in Goudey, Batter Up or Diamond Star.

Ruth returns to Goudey in 1935 in his last season, but now Gehrig disappears. Meanwhile, neither get added to Batter Up or Diamond Stars. In 1936, once again, Gehrig is not in Goudey and again not added to Batter Up or Diamond Stars. And finally, Gehrig is nowhere to be found in 1938 Goudey or 1939 Play Ball. The biggest name in baseball and no major cards (outside of premiums and the like) after 1934.

I'm very curious if anyone has any thoughts as to why these two were missing from so many major sets...
Could have had something to do with Licensing rights. Gehrig did have a card in 36. It's his World Wide Gum Card which is exceedingly rare. One would think that Gehirg may have appeared in the 1940 or 41 Play Ball set had he not contracted ALS.

Ruth on the other hand, had a very icy relationship with Gehrig towards the end of their playing days, and consdering Gehrig was the featured guy of the 34 Goudey set, it doesn't surprise me that he wasn't in the product. He probably refused to appear in the set. Remember, Gehrig and Ruth only make up after Gehrig's retirement.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:27 PM
Jay Shumsky

Gehrig is also in the Salutation Exhibit set with his card likely coming out in 1939 which was his last season as a player.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Default Ruth=Gehrig

Both Ruth and Gehrig had many endorsement opportunities that paid better than baseball card companies did, Usually a company like Goudey would pay the team to use a photo of a player. Then a printing firm who had artists would create the card image from the photo for Goudey. The players would receive little except a bunch of cards they could give to fans and friends. Gehrig got a bigger endorsement fee from Goudey in 1934 with Lou Gehrig says and two cards. But he could do better doing less in other areas. Walsh managed both Ruth and Gehrig at the time and demanded more for the use of their images than card companies could afford.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Rich

Interesting, thanks. Had not considered that their fee demand might have been beyond what card companies could or would pay. I know that they were on Exhibits and other premiums...
Old 09-27-2020, 11:44 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Given Ruth was in ‘33G and not ‘34, but then back for ‘35, the “spite for Gehrig” theory would explain that perfectly.

That brings a bigger question of why Goudey went with Gehrig in ‘34 instead of “Ruth says”. They thought enough of Ruth to put him on 4 cards the previous year and I would think he would have jumped at the chance had he been offered it...
Old 09-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
Both Ruth and Gehrig had many endorsement opportunities that paid better than baseball card companies did, Usually a company like Goudey would pay the team to use a photo of a player. Then a printing firm who had artists would create the card image from the photo for Goudey. The players would receive little except a bunch of cards they could give to fans and friends. Gehrig got a bigger endorsement fee from Goudey in 1934 with Lou Gehrig says and two cards. But he could do better doing less in other areas. Walsh managed both Ruth and Gehrig at the time and demanded more for the use of their images than card companies could afford.
I'm fascinated by how many card images came out of a single photo. If you look at a set like 1929 Kashin you see the same artist rendered poses in 33 Goudey.

And poor Frankie Frisch, he will always be fielding that grounder between 2nd and 3rd...
Old 09-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Given Ruth was in ‘33G and not ‘34, but then back for ‘35, the “spite for Gehrig” theory would explain that perfectly.

That brings a bigger question of why Goudey went with Gehrig in ‘34 instead of “Ruth says”. They thought enough of Ruth to put him on 4 cards the previous year and I would think he would have jumped at the chance had he been offered it...
And then Gehrig, after a successful 1934 series, disappears in 1935 and thereafter in Goudey, even though Ruth is retired. But I think, what surprises me most, is Gehrig’s absence in the large 1939 Play Ball set and especially after his emotional retirement, in the 1940 Play Ball set, given the inclusion of several retired players in that set.

Last edited by Ricky; 09-28-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
And then Gehrig, after a successful 1934 series, disappears in 1935 and thereafter in Goudey, even though Ruth is retired. But I think, what surprises me most, is Gehrig’s absence in the large 1939 Play Ball set and especially after his emotional retirement, in the 1940 Play Ball set, given the inclusion of several retired players in that set.
Odd indeed. The spite theory only explains so much. It’s not like being in a baseball card set with someone is the same as sitting next to them at Thanksgiving.

Last edited by conor912; 09-28-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
I was thinking along those lines, the companies could afford one or the other, but not both.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I was thinking along those lines, the companies could afford one or the other, but not both.
Could be this or could be one of the other things mentioned. Interesting thoughts on the subject.

Every thread..
...this did a boomerang from my fist collection to the BST and back to me. I like miscuts...

Old 10-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Ruth-Gehrig

Interesting to note that Goudey kept costs down in 1935 by using images from their 1933 set on the four on one cards. They already paid for those (including Ruth) so cost cutting measure for sure,
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Rich

Height of the Great Depression...