NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Stuff about collecting Negro Leaguers

Posted By: Chad

Just thought I would throw this out there for anybody who has an interest. I've been doing some research on cards featuring players who appeared, no matter how briefly, in the Negro Leagues and I've come up with some interesting stuff.

There's roughly 300 different players who appeared in the NLs that are pictured on a card issued during their playing careers. Some of these are ridiculously tough--Pete Hill, Bruce Petway, Home Run Johnson--and some are stupidly easy--Paul Casanova, I'm looking at you. There are cards of Negro Leaguers from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Canada, Japan, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and, of course, the good ol' USA. The dates of the card issued range from cabinets issued in the 1890's to Hank Aaron's last Topps card in 1976. The research is still rough, very rough, but there are a lot more players and a lot more cool cards of Negro Leaguers than I ever imagined when I started collecting them a few years ago.

--Chad

Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Chad, Do you have a checklist of cards issued featuring Negro Leaguers?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

But it needs lots and lots of work. Finding accurate checklists of the Latin stuff is damn near impossible and there are many guys who I still have to determine if they were Negro Leaguers or not. And, it's debatable whether some of the issues I've included in my checklist are even cards or, in many cases, if they even exist. Despite all these difficulties, I have created a working checklist and I'll be glad to share it, as long as it's not taken as gospel. Like I said, it's still very rough.

--Chad

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

I can only imagine the legwork involved. Incidentally, I replied to your Costa Rica post in the other thread.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

I checked out the sight and it looks good, Steve.

You're right, the legwork was rough, but I managed to do it all on company time!

--Chad

Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Chad, what set was issued in Mexico? I'm not familiar with any baseball sets from Mexico. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Administrator

There are no sets, just a single card of Martin Dihigo. I can't find a link to the card, but, Ryan, if you check this out, could you hook a brother up? One of my many daydreams is that one day a bunch of forgotten sets of cards will be discovered from the Mexican professional leagues. I doubt it, but I can daydream.

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

The Dihigo card is from 1947, but it was a multi-sport issue and I have never seen another baseball player from it. The scan shows Dihigo, a soccer player and two matadors. There were probably actors and actresses in the set as well. The picture on the magazine was probably taken around the same time as the one on the card. He was only on that team in 1947 and only for part of the season.

I have seen one other Mexican baseball card and that is it. That one looked like it probably was part of a baseball issue. It was from around 1950 and it was photographic. Really cool. Looked sort of like a 1923-24 Billiken card. If I can convince the owner to sell it to me I'll have a total monopoly on vintage Mexican baseball cards! Both of them.

-Ryan

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Totally cool. Thank you both.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Does anyone know of any cards or photos of Frank Wickware. Any help would be appreciated.

-Clint

Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

A great player, though. I think a photo might be your only shot to get an image of him.

--Chad

Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Thanks Chad appreciate the help.

-Clint

Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I just spent last week at Cubs Fantasy Baseball camp and Ernie Banks was there. He was with the Kansas City Monarchs before he joined the Cubs. My aunt also knew Buck O'Neill in Kansas City before he passed in the last few months. Both pretty cool men.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

--Chad