NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Does this mean the Swingin' 60's sub should be done by X-mas 2021?
LOL.........hard to say.......Things are backed up pretty bad right now....bad enough they shut down future business.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
LOL.........hard to say.......Things are backed up pretty bad right now....bad enough they shut down future business.
Bobby, have you contacted your PSA rep about the elimination of qualifiers in the 'Swinging 60's' sub, and if that decision could be reversed since we submitted under the old rules? It was such a BS move on their part, because it screws over those of us who were fully expecting/hoping for high grades with an OC qualifier pointing out the obvious problems in centering. Now, said centering is going to lower the grade on the label without any explanation, so a card that would've been a PSA 7 OC, for example, is now going to be a straight 5...so anyone looking at it now would think its corners, focus, eye appeal, etc., make it ONLY a PSA 5, PLUS it is off-center, which makes the grade in a person's mind even lower. There is no separation. Ultimately, the card would now seem like a PSA 3 (PSA 5 minus two grades for bad centering) to a normal buyer!!!!!! The addition of the OC has always eliminated all of that. A PSA 7 OC card has all of the other characteristics of a 7, but it is off-centered. No guesswork required. In the scenario I just outlined, a PSA 7 OC card would lose 4 grades (down to a perceived straight PSA 3) for no reason whatsoever...and when we submitted this order, those were NOT the rules we agreed to.

(And please, no one come on here to argue about what I am saying. It doesn't matter if you prefer to have a straight grade that encompasses centering or if you believe it's the right move for PSA to make, that NOT the issue. The issue is we submitted under certain rules, and they changed them. That is not acceptable.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Couple of things - Looks like these did include "qualifiers" as I received 1 card back with the "MK" designation.

Sent 34 1955 Topps BB in for grading on this go round.

Of the 34 I had "opinion" graded the vast majority as coming back a 6 with a couple maybe hitting 6.5 and a couple coming back in the 5 range (Dont recall a Mark on the card they designated but will see when I get it in hand)

Had several "shockers" that included a 3 cards coming back below 5 and 11 cards coming back as 7s (or better)

Of the 11 one (Boone) came back as 8.5 - Still scratching my head on this one as I don't know how an EXMT card sitting in my EXMT set along with tons of other 6s could hit that "rare air".

The other 7s (and 4 additional 8s) are somewhat annoying to me for the same reason - didnt look out of place in an EXMT set

Hand picked for centering - Looks like I now get to go out in search of 14 additional 6s. If you have any of the 14 in PSA Holders that are well centered - I would be interested

Thanks

The Boone (8.5)??

#065 Boone

The following results simply reinforce the idea that after all these years - I STILL have no clue when it comes to BB Card Grading. The Mathews is particularly annoying as I was sure it was a 6 all day.....

Pre 59 Results

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 06-10-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:03 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Couple of things - Looks like these did include "qualifiers" as I received 1 card back with the "MK" designation.

Sent 34 1955 Topps BB in for grading on this go round.

Of the 34 I had "opinion" graded the vast majority as coming back a 6 with a couple maybe hitting 6.5 and a couple coming back in the 5 range (Dont recall a Mark on the card they designated but will see when I get it in hand)

Had several "shockers" that included a 3 cards coming back below 5 and 11 cards coming back as 7s (or better)

Of the 11 one (Boone) came back as 8.5 - Still scratching my head on this one as I don't know how an EXMT card sitting in my EXMT set along with tons of other 6s could hit that "rare air".

The other 7s (and 4 additional 8s) are somewhat annoying to me for the same reason - didnt look out of place in an EXMT set

Hand picked for centering - Looks like I now get to go out in search of 14 additional 6s. If you have any of the 14 in PSA Holders that are well centered - I would be interested

Thanks

The Boone (8.5)??

#065 Boone

The following results simply reinforce the idea that after all these years - I STILL have no clue when it comes to BB Card Grading. The Mathews is particularly annoying as I was sure it was a 6 all day.....

Pre 59 Results
I am very interested in what comes back from what I submitted. I don't get into things as in depth as you, but to say I am disappointed is an understatement. What is going on over at PSA?? Have the grading standards tightened?? Is there new help grading the cards with very little experience?? Who knows......It has been an eye opening experience for me to say the least.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:57 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I know that ALL of these cards were in pretty much identical in condition and they should have all hit the 6 (ish) range.

The cards that came back as below 5 and especially the PSA 8.5 grade makes me think that they don't really have a clue as to what is going on over there....

I would guess lots of brand new "Graders"? Don't know - Reminds of the old "Turkey Shoots" - One shot from a 12 gauge at 25 yards and the guy with the pellet closest to center wins....
Old 06-10-2021, 08:37 AM
Lonnie Nagel

OK - Now that I am done bitchin -

Just wanted to say -

Mega Kudos to Bobby for puttin these things together -

Not many guys out there would invest a year of time and tons of paperwork to put something like this together for FREE....

Thanks Bobby!!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:56 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
OK - Now that I am done bitchin -

Just wanted to say -

Mega Kudos to Bobby for puttin these things together -

Not many guys out there would invest a year of time and tons of paperwork to put something like this together for FREE....

Thanks Bobby!!
+1 on this

I sent in 23 mostly lower grade t206's and they were about what I expected no real surprises either way.

8 - came back the grade I estimated
5 - + 1/2 grade
7 - - 1/2 grade
1 - + 1
2 - - 1 grade

The two that stood out the most to me was a Knabe that came back a 3 that I thought was a 2 and a Leifield that came back a 2 that I thought was a 3 when you look at the two together I don't see how the Knabe is a grade higher than the Leifield.

Knabe PSA 2.jpg
Leifield PSA 3.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 06-10-2021 at 08:56 AM.