NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Any World Junior Hockey fans here?

I never miss it. Been a Christmas/family tradition for years!
http://www.tsn.ca/2017-world-junior-...edule-1.484332

Canada/Russia currently tied 1-1.

The U.S. is suppose to have a good squad this year. Not sure what I enjoy more, the Can/Russ games or the Can/U.S. games?
Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Grant Rainsley

Default Iihf

Oh yeah, great hockey, we'll see a few of these kids in the NHL next year. Da Da, Canada....Nyet nyet, Soviet.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Murr the Blurr

As part of the Chinese government's big push to popularize winter sports ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics here, the WJHC is being televised (delayed) in Beijing and Shanghai. And yesterday, when I was wearing my Team Canada sweater in a downtown bar, three Chinese guys asked me to sit with them and explain the rules while a game involving Beijing's KHL expansion team (Kunlun Red Star) aired on the big screen ...
Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 AM

The hockey is terrific--nothing like super-talented athletes playing for national pride and for the opportunity to impact their financial future at the same time. I really enjoy watching it. However, it is also one of the most over-hyped and one-sided sporting events on the North American calendar.

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event, which is why the powers-that-be have decided it has to be held in Canada (or in border cities like Buffalo) virtually ever year. No Canadian fans = no $ success.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Neil

Been catching grief because I'm glued to the recliner watching. Will she ever learn? Guess not..
Thanks for the schedule link Irv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Rick

Definitely a fan, thank goodness for the NHL network in the US otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch. WJ is probably the most under rated sports event in the states. Two upsets so far this year, Canada as usual dominates. I looked at tickets just for grins, it's hard to believe good seats are available for every games except the US/Canada. I'd love to attend some day, although it'll probably never be played outside of Canada when it's in North America.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysblue View Post
The hockey is terrific--nothing like super-talented athletes playing for national pride and for the opportunity to impact their financial future at the same time. I really enjoy watching it. However, it is also one of the most over-hyped and one-sided sporting events on the North American calendar.

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event, which is why the powers-that-be have decided it has to be held in Canada (or in border cities like Buffalo) virtually ever year. No Canadian fans = no $ success.
Thus, it'll never grow outside of Canada, essentially allowing Canada to always have home ice advantage, not to mention no overseas travel....biasing Canada an advantage.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:

TSN pumps this thing up for weeks ahead of time because it is a huge ratings winner for them with their Canadian audience. The truth is virtually nobody else in the world cares about the event
+1

It's overhyped because outside of a few regional broadcasts, TSN has zero hockey presence. It's all they got for months.

If Canada doesn't play, it's a bunch of games that nobody cares about in this country. You can get tickets for as low as $6.

Outside of an NFL exhibition game, is there anything more boring that watching a thrashing in a kids game? The last game, what was it? Six shots on goal against Canada for the entire game?

Overhyped??? You bet.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 12-29-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Definitely a fan, thank goodness for the NHL network in the US otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch. WJ is probably the most under rated sports event in the states. Two upsets so far this year, Canada as usual dominates. I looked at tickets just for grins, it's hard to believe good seats are available for every games except the US/Canada. I'd love to attend some day, although it'll probably never be played outside of Canada when it's in North America.

I think it is being held in Buffalo next year. Tickets will be relatively easy to come by for most preliminary games, except those involving Canada.

The event was held in Buffalo seven or eight years ago, so my wife and I went down for a few days. I remember paying $160 for a pair of so-so seats for Canada-Norway, and then the next day paying something like $16 for a pair of 10th row red-line seats for Switzerland-Czech Republic. Nobody bothered unless it was a Canada game (at least in the prelims), and Canadian fans could make the short drive into the USA.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I respectfully disagree, Boysblue. Look at what just happened with the Finland coaching staff. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...oaching-staff/
Although some of these countries are out of the spotlight, WJH is still very important/popular in other countries throughout the world.

Attendance at these events in other parts of the world is also up there, not just Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_attendance

Granted, with the increases in ticket prices, the fans have been few and far between, depending on who is playing, especially, but the same can be said about 2 underachieving NHL teams as well.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3152814/lo...world-juniors/

Of course it is most popular in Canada for obvious reasons, but to say it is not popular in other parts of the world is, well, just wrong, imo.

Should be a good game in another 45 minutes. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Going to be a heck of a game tomorrow!!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Going to be a heck of a game tomorrow!!

Canada-U.S. final.

Go Canada!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Rick

It was a great game, for the US to come back against Canada twice. One of the better hockey games I've seen, kind of unfortunate it had to be determined by a shootout.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It was a great game, for the US to come back against Canada twice. One of the better hockey games I've seen, kind of unfortunate it had to be determined by a shootout.
Got to hand it to them. The U.S. coming back like they did. I was thinking, OK boys, lets protect our lead when we were up 4-2, but that didn't last long.

Truthfully, I am surprised our boys went to the Gold Medal game. Imo, they just didn't look as good as years past but they surprised me.

From what I heard, the U.S. had a very strong team from the get go and were favored to win it.

Excellent game either way. Both sides were completely out of gas!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Got to hand it to them. The U.S. coming back like they did. I was thinking, OK boys, lets protect our lead when we were up 4-2, but that didn't last long.

Truthfully, I am surprised our boys went to the Gold Medal game. Imo, they just didn't look as good as years past but they surprised me.

From what I heard, the U.S. had a very strong team from the get go and were favored to win it.

Excellent game either way. Both sides were completely out of gas!
The game is growing here. It's good for the game. Non traditional hockey cities now have growing youth hockey programs. nay of them influence by ex NHL'ers I think the game is attracting people who don't want their kid's involved in football too. It's more family oriented too.
I'd like to see the WJ tournament grow to the point where it doesn't have to be in a Canadian city to draw a crowd. I'd be ecstatic if it came to the Chicago.

The big surprise to me was Finland not playing well. Sometimes I think Canada over thinks it's team, maybe it's political, yet Canada could probably field three teams and have a good chance of winning gold, silver and bronze.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
The game is growing here. It's good for the game. Non traditional hockey cities now have growing youth hockey programs. nay of them influence by ex NHL'ers I think the game is attracting people who don't want their kid's involved in football too. It's more family oriented too.
I'd like to see the WJ tournament grow to the point where it doesn't have to be in a Canadian city to draw a crowd. I'd be ecstatic if it came to the Chicago.

The big surprise to me was Finland not playing well. Sometimes I think Canada over thinks it's team, maybe it's political, yet Canada could probably field three teams and have a good chance of winning gold, silver and bronze.
The friends we have made over the years is priceless. Even if our kids don't play on the same team(s) anymore, those friendships are still alive and healthy!

I could see Chicago working as every year, at least a team or 2 from my neck of woods travels there for a huge annual tournament.
There are many cities that come to mind state side so with the U.S. gaining ground each and every year, especially this one, I think your wish will shortly someday come true.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM

Two players on team Canada play for the Junior team I work for so it was good to watch them play.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Two players on team Canada play for the Junior team I work for so it was good to watch them play.
Lauzon and Myers?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Lauzon and Myers?
No Hart and Juulsen