NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-16-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Cut Card Cases

This could as easily have gone in the pre-1980 category.

What is the story behind Topps' Cut Card Cases that pop up across all sports and non-sports issues? What was their purpose? How were they distributed?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Alan Elefson

Hi-

I do not know much, but I purchased one at a flea market a couple of years ago. I am going from memory here, so I might be off on a couple of details. It contained 1978 Topps Football and it originally came from Rotmans in Worcester which was a large card and supply seller in the 70s and 80s. It had cards cut from two of the four sheets, and had multiples of all of the stars and commons (I think there were about 13 or 14 per card) from those sheets. I believe I was told Topps sold them to vending companies primarily (I forget where I heard that).

I got mine at a great price and sold it for a nice profit. The condition was overall EX/NRMT but there were some corner problems and centering issues. I also remember the case stated what sheets were cut on the side (I might have had B and C or B and D). I hope others can provide better information for you.

Alan
Old 04-17-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
This could as easily have gone in the pre-1980 category.

What is the story behind Topps' Cut Card Cases that pop up across all sports and non-sports issues? What was their purpose? How were they distributed?
I do know they were used in the Duryea factory. Freshly sheet-cut cards were loaded into them and then transported to the packaging dept. Since they were well suited to transport they could have been a useful vehicle for direct sales to vending companies as Alan speculated.

Full thread here
Old 04-17-2020, 04:23 PM

I appreciate the conversation, and hope more can join and offer their insights. Topps sold vending boxes to dealers and vendors - why would they also have shipped these?

I can remember years ago looking through a Renata Gallasso magazine and one line I still remember was, when talking about how she got her cards to make all those set she sold, "I receive my cards directly from Topps in bundles of one player" - as a kid I imagined huge bags full of a thousand mint Reggie Jacksons or a thousand mint Red Sox team photos. Vending boxes wouldn't do that. Cut card cases would get closer in the sense that a single case cut from just a single sheet would produce dozens and dozens of each card from that sheet.

When you open a cut card case and pull a brick of cards out, how are they ordered - by player or by the position on the sheet?
Old 04-18-2020, 06:53 AM
Rich Klein

I opened one or two cut card cases back in the day and don't remember all the players being together. But because it was usually just one (or sometimes two) sheets, then you would have bigger assortments of players. And in the 1978-81 period when cards were double printed you would get a huge amount of those cards.

Examples of Double Prints include: 1978 Pete Rose; 1979 Reggie Jackson; etc.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I appreciate the conversation, and hope more can join and offer their insights. Topps sold vending boxes to dealers and vendors - why would they also have shipped these?

I can remember years ago looking through a Renata Gallasso magazine and one line I still remember was, when talking about how she got her cards to make all those set she sold, "I receive my cards directly from Topps in bundles of one player" - as a kid I imagined huge bags full of a thousand mint Reggie Jacksons or a thousand mint Red Sox team photos. Vending boxes wouldn't do that. Cut card cases would get closer in the sense that a single case cut from just a single sheet would produce dozens and dozens of each card from that sheet.

When you open a cut card case and pull a brick of cards out, how are they ordered - by player or by the position on the sheet?
To the bold part. I know Score did this with star players. They would pull 10s and 100s of thousands of cards of each of the star players to sell directly to large dealers.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This old CU post has some good info on CC Cases and contains most of what I have heard about collation -

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...-cut-card-case

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:46 AM

Cut card cases appeared at the end of the card year. I bought one or two at one point and they were just bulk cards thrown into a box. I think what Topps did is just take the left over sheets at the end of the production run and cut them to be liquidated. They didn't go through any collation process, which explains why only 1-2 sheets would appear in cases. They obviously were useless in putting together sets. I remember some of the sheets that ended up in cut cases had Ripken RC or other keys so when those cards got hot obviously the cut cases got hot- imagine getting 65 Ripken RC in a case?