NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Mike

Default PSA Economy is $20 each !

How many modern cards are worth sending in if it costs $ 20 for the economy for each card + all the shipping costs and insurance costs and then waiting months ? Then it must get a "10" or you lose money don't you ?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Millions of modern cards are still profitable grading at that point. Modern is HUGE. But even more are worth grading at $8/card on bulk/value specials.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Dave Foster

This so-called, uh, "special," is only intended for collectors who are either
stinking rich or don't have a brain. Maybe both . . . If modern is your "thingy," bulk subs is the only way to go.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Modern and Bulk Subs

I do bulk subs 2-3 times a year (until lately). I dropped off 1700 cards 10/14/19 and just gotta call from PSA to go and p/u. That said, 425 still ungraded, and the rep who called (last Fri) said can't drop off any new bulk subs yet.

I always mix modern stuff with my subs that include post WWII cards and in general, the grading comes out okay on those modern cards. Again, if generalizing, there are many, many. modern cards that I will not submit if a PSA 9 value is barely worth the grading fee. If you do not receive GEM MINT 10, in so many cases, you barely break even or worse, even at bulk rate fee of "only" $7.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

My trick (when I used to submit) was that I wanted to triple the grading fee in profit when I went to sell the card if it wasn't for my personal collection. So at $7 a card, I want to see an implied value increase of $20 in order to send it. Otherwise I sold it raw.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Busier than ever, though it may have to due with the shut down.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
How many modern cards are worth sending in if it costs $ 20 for the economy for each card + all the shipping costs and insurance costs and then waiting months ? Then it must get a "10" or you lose money don't you ?
Not at all. And this is just one example of literally hundreds at the moment.

Let's take the 2018 Topps Update Gleyber Torres RC. Raw copies sell for 10-20 bucks typically, give or take a few bucks depending on some variables.

Get a small stack of those, combine them with some Luka Doncic Prizm rookies from 2018-19. Pay 20 bucks a pop, and even with a bad eye, say you run into a 70% gem rate, if you're inclined to sell you're still making money hand-over-fist on the 10s and likely coming darn close to breaking even, if not making a few bucks on the 9s.

And 10 times more so if you were picking these up at release when Lukas were 15-20 bucks a pop and 9s are now selling for 150ish.

I could give this same example with at least a dozen guys off the top of my head right now.

To answer your actual question though, to save on shipping/insurance per card I typically don't send anything until I have a stack of 30+ so maybe you're onto something, ha.