NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T

Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default WTB: Dodgers Want List - Food/Regional/Type/Topps Unlisted Variations

TYPE CARDS/FOOD CARDS
1993 Hit the Books Bookmarks - Brett Butler & Tim Wallach (WV variation)
1993 Cadaco Ellis - Darryl Strawberry (unperforated square)
1992 Mr. Turkey - Darryl Strawberry (complete flattened box pkg variation)
1992 Hit the Books Bookmarks - Brett Butler & Mike Scioscia (NJ variation)
1990 Louisville Slugger - Orel Hershiser reg. and bulldog card
1989 Orel Hershiser SOCKO drink set of 7
1989 MSA Key Food - Orel Hershiser (single or panel variation w/ Benito Santiago)
1989 MSA Our Own Tea - Orel Hershiser (single or panel variation w/ Benito Santiago)
1988 MSA Superstar, Key Food, or Weis Winner Tea Discs - Fernando Valenzuela (single or panel variation w/ Benito Santiago)
1988 Drake's - Pedro Guerrero (complete flattened box variation - chocolate doughnut delights)
1987 Kraft - Fernando Valenzuela/Pete Incavilia (complete flattened box or hand cut panel variations)
1986 Meadow Gold Milk Carton w/ Fernando Valenzuela pictured
1985 MSA Subway Discs - Fernando Valenzuela and Pedro Guerrero
1982 MSA FBI Bantam Soda Disc - Steve Garvey (single or panel)
1981 MSA FBI Bantam Soda Disc - Steve Garvey (single or panel)
1980 Pepsi All-Star - Dave Lopes

TOPPS ISSUED
1995 Topps Finest Refractor - Delino DeShields
1994 Topps Finest Refractor - Orel Hershiser
1994 Topps Black Gold Winner - ABCD card (unredeemed/expired or redeemed/certified variations)
1985 Topps Mini (Test) - Steve Yeager (tan back variation)
1980 Topps Coin (Test) - Steve Garvey

TOPPS UNLISTED VARIATIONS
1994 Topps - Pedro Martinez #268 (WITH "A" sheet print code on back bottom)
1992 Topps McDonalds – Eric Karros #43 (double asterisk print designation on back bottom)
1991 Topps Traded – John Candelaria #17T, Gary Carter #19T, Darren Dreifort #34T, Bob Ojeda #86T, Darryl Strawberry #114T (all wax pack gray back with a single asterisk print designation on the back bottom)
1991 Topps Bazooka – Jose Offerman #6 (single asterisk print designation on back bottom)
1989 Topps BIG – Tim Belcher #145, Rick Dempsey #108, Mickey Hatcher #63, Orel Hershiser #1, Jay Howell #79, Tim Leary #17, Mike Marshall #48, Franklin Stubbs #32, Tracy Woodson #92 (all with single asterisk print designations on back bottom)
1989 Topps All-Star Send-Ins – Orel Hershiser #48 & Tim Belcher #30 & Kirk Gibson #55 (white back card stock)
1988 Topps BIG - Mike Davis #154 (C*D* print code), Pedro Guerrero #171 (A* print code), Orel Hershiser #91 (C*D*), Steve Sax #46 (C*), Mike Scioscia #72 (C*), Franklin Stubbs #112 (C*D*)
1987 Topps - Maury Wills (Turn Back the Clock) with yellow date on front bottom
1986 Topps Mini Leaders – Mike Scioscia #46 (super glossy card stock with brownish color like '85 T.Tiffany)

Last edited by 4reals; 03-15-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Any new board members out there with any of these items? paypal ready...
Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
TYPE CARDS/FOOD CARDS
1986 Topps Mini Leaders – Mike Scioscia #46 & Fernando Valenzuela #47 (super glossy card stock with brownish color like '85 T.Tiffany)
Are you sure this is an issue? I stored my oddball stuff in my mom's basement for a while and many of my Tiffany and glossy cards turned a brownish color. I can scan some if you would like to see the comparison.

Also, if you search "1982 Topps Team Card Sheet" on Ebay, you will get the 82 white back you need...you'll just have to cut it.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Are you sure this is an issue? I stored my oddball stuff in my mom's basement for a while and many of my Tiffany and glossy cards turned a brownish color. I can scan some if you would like to see the comparison.

Also, if you search "1982 Topps Team Card Sheet" on Ebay, you will get the 82 white back you need...you'll just have to cut it.
Mike, thanks for the tip on the '82 Leader card...I never realized those were printed on different card stock. I took a look at the SCD description and it confirmed what you said...not sure how I missed that one but it's great to have a lead!

As far as the '86 mini ldrs go, there was never an official separate release and no variations have been cataloged, however, I am positive there are two variations for at least some of the cards in the set, if not all of them. I currently own both variations for the Guerrero, Welch, and Hershiser cards in my Dodgers team set (still looking for Scioscia and Valenzuela). When I touch them the difference is significant. The brighter white card fronts look shiny but feel dull, like a regular issued card from a base set. The brownish color variation appears more wet and when you touch them you can tell instantly that it has a thicker, slicker coating. I am not denying that the browning may come from aging, however, the ones that do brown make it easier to distinguish between the two. I have seen this same browning effect on the '85 Tiffany cards but have not seen it any of the Tiffany cards from any years since then. I suppose my theory is that Topps used the leftover card stock from the '85 Tiffanys for the beginning of the '86 Mini print run and when they ran out they transitioned over to the other stock. I think this is supported by the fact that the Tiffany (brownish) ones seem to be less plentiful to find than the white ones. Assuming I'm right, a good follow up question to my theory would be: Was Topps just trying to use up leftover stock to save on costs and minimize waste? My guess would be yes. Rub your minis and get back to me (that came out wrong), let me know your thoughts!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default 86 mini scans

It might be hard to distinguish from this scan but the brown tinted TIFFANY variations are on the right side. Because the tint is so minor they are difficult to differentiate unless you're able to see in person and touch them. Paying your LCS a visit is probably the best first option to take rather than trying to explain all this nonsense to sellers on ebay who might still get it wrong anyways...it's the reason I still need the two I do.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Mike Bodner

I have 1 Valenzuela that seems browned, but the front feels a little coarse.

Last edited by Gmrson; 04-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I don't know what to tell you other than the texture and coating of the card is what makes it a variation in my mind, not the color. The color is merely a clue I use to try and narrow down finding the different type of stock when dealing with purchases online where you can't actually touch the card. In the instance of your card the color wouldn't work but it has for me in other purchases. Also, as a side point, the brownish color is a characteristic of the glossy coating, it isn't something that appears over time from aging as some cards do due to their exposure to exterior elements.

Last edited by 4reals; 04-20-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Mike Bodner

I understand what you are saying for this particular issue, but mine have turned brown from environment, including various years of Topps & Bowman Tiffany cards. That's an interesting variation that I will have to look for.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

bump
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

updated list - crossed a couple of the list!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

updated list

was able to cross this 1987 Boardwalk & Baseball Guerrero Error Variation of my list. The entire set can be found with a no slash on front between the B&B.

Last edited by 4reals; 07-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

bump
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

bumpity bump bump