NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-05-2021, 12:19 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Is this Topps Bazooka issue mis dated?

Hi Gang:

Have a question or two regarding what has been cataloged as 1959 Topps/Bazooka Hot Iron Transfers.

Were these issued or offered in 1959 as some Bazooka offering? A quick look on the net for 59 Topps wrappers I only see pennants offered not the Hot Iron Transfers.

The reason I ask is they are advertised on the 1960 Topps wrapper, making them in my eyes a 1960 issue.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks,

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 Hot Iron.jpg (16.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 59 Hot Iron wrapper.jpg (76.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Randy Trierweiler

It's a 1960 issue Fred. My SCD catalog from 2009 shows a Hot Iron transfer insert (ad card) at the end of the 1960 Topps set.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

It was also probably a bazooka comics premium in 1960, and isn't shown on the 1959 comics that I could find online.
Assuming it's the same set and not a different hot iron transfer set
Old 05-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Thanks guys. These are listed as 1959 in the Topps archives here:

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/sear...on%20Transfers

These guys really seem to know their stuff thus my question.

I think whomever is in charge of the site is a member here. Hopefully they will chime in.

Last edited by whiteymet; 05-07-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Al Richter

Dave Hornish is a member here but does not post here much lately. I will ask him to take a look. His and Bob Lemke’s old blog are great hobby resources and Dave is a Topps guru

For whatever it is worth I have a half dozen of the transfers and have always kept them and the insert with my 1960 set. I think I also have some of the original packaging in which the transfers were sent, handwritten team name on front with a Bazooka Joe several panel comic of instructions about application on the back. Can post pics if anyone is interested
Old 05-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I'm just back from a long trip and was eyeing this thread while away. I'm starting to think of some Topps and Bazooka issues in terms of an issue range vs a specific year as the more I've looked at things, the more I've found that it often took several months for somethng to roll out from the 1940's through the early 70's. There's also a handful of things that took a couple of years but so far that seems to be for test issues that became retail issues on the NS side.

Things like Bazooka premiums often would be available in several ways and for several years. The team emblems offered on 1952 Baseball wrappers, or something like them, were available as premium offers from Bazooka for many years, with updates for new cities and teams as needed. These would be offered on Bazooka comics, in their premium catlaogs and even sometimes just in random ways. This would also result in variations in size, texture etc., some more significant than others.

I re-checked my master list and I have the team emblem transfers as both 1960 and 1962 right now, with an associated mailing envelope for each. I'm not 100% positive these are the same thing (or conversely, that they are not) and other years are possible as well. The dating in that blog post is probably from a Columbia City Collectibles ad or catalog. They were pretty accurate on dating things and Mike has seen a ton of items over the years but as noted above, the dating is kind of fungible on certain premiums.

To give an idea, below is an excerpt from my list, with notes, showing just how tough it is to track specific years for things like premiums (note the 1952 Big League Emblems "Plastic" entry is likely what I call a red herring, not sure the red text I use to ID will come through but it's likely not a Topps premium). I'd love to crowdsource dating of issues and the like for these. Some entries just capture a passing comment I have seen somewhere (1958 Team Folders might be the team emblems or something else for example). I'm trying to acquire type examples of everything on my lists for all sports and non-sports issues for verification and am 90% of the way there, maybe even a little more. Premiums are sometimes much harder to find than even some limited and test releases.

I'm starting to get my master Topps lists in better order and am close to organizing all my scans but other projects are resulting in slow progress at present. I'm constantly updating entries though and am quite interested in everybody's comments and observations. I can post updates on the blog easily enough (with full credit of course).

I have some of these and am missing others in my PC; a couple I may have but can't tell what they actually are.

R UNC-X 1952 TOPPS TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM ADVERTISED ON 1952 BASEBALL WRAPPER
R UNC-X 1952 TOPPS TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM FELT ADVERTISED ON 1952 BASEBALL WRAPPER
R 414-UNC 1952 TOPPS/BAZOOKA BIG LEAGUE EMBLEMS PREMIUM PLASTIC IS THIS THE PREMIUM?
R UNC-X 1956 TOPPS TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1958 TOPPS TEAM FOLDERS PREMIUM
R UNC-X 1958 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM MY FAVORITE TEAM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1959 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC 1960 TOPPS ALBUM PREMIUM SAME AS TRADING CARD GUILD/TCG ALBUM
R 414-18 1960 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1960 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER ENVELOPE BAZOOKA JOE CARTOON ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R BF5 1961 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM REISSUE W/ AL EXPANSION TEAMS
R 414-UNC 1962 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1962 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER ENVELOPE ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1968 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM HAS OAKLAND A'S - 14 1/2"
R 414-50-UNC 1968 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TIPPS FROM THE TOPPS PREMIUM? BOOKLET
R 414-UNC 1971 BAZOOKA TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM ON 5" X 7" PAPER

Last edited by toppcat; 05-08-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:18 AM
Al Richter

Old 05-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Al Richter

Old 05-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Bob F.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
It's a shame that the TPGs don't take real life into account with certain brands/issues. Like the cards stapled to potato chip bags, the staple holes are expected. That is how the cards were issued, so it shouldn't detract from the grade, it should be accepted. If for some reason an example of the card came to light sans staple holes, it should be graded as an 11 or 'Double, Secret 10' or something else pointing to its extreme rarity.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:19 PM
Albert Bee

Default wrapper

Incredibly cool stuff Al !
Old 05-15-2021, 03:24 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Al and Dave:

Thanks for all your info!

It now seems the answer to my original question is that these Hot Iron Transfers are indeed from 1960.

A further question for Al is if I am reading the above posts correctly these came folded in half in an envelope with the team name handwritten. What I am unclear about is does the front of the envelope have the color "comic" with the heading INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING HOT - IRON TRANSFER?

I am collecting ALL THINGS 1960 Topps Baseball set so I need all the Hot Iron Transfers, and hopefully I can find at least one in the envelope.

Other things I seek from the set are:

WRAPPERS:

1 cent: Repeating with wording on both borders
1 cent with album offer
1 cent with iron on offer

5 cent with album offer
5 cent with vote for favorite rookie

BOX:

1 cent box

An unopened wax pack

Please PM me if you can help with any of the above.

Last edited by whiteymet; 05-15-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:20 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Al and Dave:

A further question for Al is if I am reading the above posts correctly these came folded in half in an envelope with the team name handwritten. What I am unclear about is does the front of the envelope have the color "comic" with the heading INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING HOT - IRON TRANSFER?
I have the same question too but lean toward the comic strip envelope housing the 1960 transfers. Hard to tell with some of these items what came in what, etc. Expansion teams in an envelope could help date but that's a tall order to line up.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:23 PM
Al Richter

Fred- the envelopes with the handwritten team names all have the bazooka comic on the other side. The Cardinals envelope is sealed. Got them all from seller who said he received them as a send away in a bigger envelope addressed to him. Can not personally verify accuracy but the comic makes me think they are legit. The open ones came folded. An opened one would not fit in the envelopes I received from him

Good luck in your hunt. The one unopened pack was all I did

That 60 proof card you landed puts your 60 collection in the upper atmosphere

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-15-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:27 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Fred- the envelopes with the handwritten team names all have the bazooka comic on the other side. The Cardinals envelope is sealed. Got them all from seller who said he received them as a send away in a bigger envelope addressed to him. Can not personally verify accuracy but the comic makes me think they are legit. The open ones came folded. An opened one would not fit in the envelopes I received from him

Good luck in your hunt. The one unopened pack was all I did

That 60 proof card you landed puts your 60 collection in the upper atmosphere
Al:

Thanks for the clarification on the envelopes housing the Hot Iron Transfers. I agree they are legit! Please PM if you would consider moving one of the envelopes with the transfer inside from your collection to mine.

Dave:

Will you be changing the designation for the Hot Iron Transfers from 1959 to 1960 in your archives?