NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Default autograph restoration question

Posted By: leon

A friend of mine, who works at the art gallery that framed my Horner Composite, sent a gentleman my way for advice on restoring some autographs. I am not an autograph expert but said I thought darkening the signatures would decrease their value substantially. I told him I thought that touching up a photo or check probably wouldn't be too bad depending on what is done. I also told him I would ask some friends of mine on a chat board that I frequent. So here is the unabridged question. ...I did mention that getting them authenticated would be imperative if he ever wanted to sell them....

"Thanks for your time and introduction to the perils of autograph restoration. Apparently theres more to it than the ordinary Joe would think. I now understand that the process ordinarily used to restore photos doesnt necessarily bring along improvement to the autograph. Actually, it probably works against it. Ill put the Windex and the Sharpie back in the drawer.

What I have is not of any particular value. I have a picture of some little leaguer type kid (circa 1930s) autographed by Honus Wagner. Doesnt rise to the level of a T-206 card but it is nicely matted and framed along with a small print of Honus and sometimes impresses those that are easily impressed. Ditto for a Ty Cobb signed check, also framed and matted with a picture of Ty. Im not a hardcore collector and am not really trying to maximize value as much as I am simply trying to preserve the aesthetic of the autographs. That being said, I dont want to destroy value either, to extent any exists. I cant imagine theres a whole lot there so the aesthetic maybe carries a bit more weight. These are just trinket conversation pieces.

I also have a signed pics by Feller, Spahn, Mantle, Gehrig, Gibson, DiMaggio, Musial, Dean which are all in great shape. The two exceptions above really stand out as having faded (signatures) hence my interest in bringing them back if can be done in some relatively simple low tech fashion.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated."

Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

No way.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

I sort of thought that was the case. I appreciate your succinctness too. Could you elaborate just a little, pretty please? My guess is that touching up the autographs with anything would greatly reduce their value but the pieces they are on could be cleaned up a bit, if needed. I know my composite (I keep referring to)was deacidified and very minorly touched up in a handful of areas before I got it. I would surmise it helped the long term value, in that it will weather the elements better, as well as it helps the present day aesthetics. regards

Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

There is a great difference between photo or art restoration and autograph "restoration".

Obviously, "restoration" is commonly accepted in many fields, but this acceptance will always be the exact opposite in all matters dealing with handwriting and signatures. If some collectors choose to restore broken edges of a signed photograph, I personally see nothing wrong with that. As to "cleaning around a signature", think of the added price a piece of furniture exhibiting original patina brings on the open market. Outside of occasionally breaking up multi-signed pieces, I leave all my material the way I found it. I do know a few historical manuscript dealers who employ a non-invasive form of cursory surface cleaning. Said restorative work should of course be described if the piece is to be offered for sale at a later time. To me, the auction market will dictate if the value of such an item is heightened by such work.

As far as doing anything to touch up the actual autograph, my "No way" still stands! happy.gif

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If you restore a player's signature too much, it may not be considered the player's signature anymore. The appeal of Mickey Mantle's signature is the ink you are looking at was placed there by Mickey Mantle. Covering it with new ink literally hides Mickey's writing.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

As a collector (and speaking from a collector's perspective) I would NEVER buy a retouched or traced autograph. It would hold "zero" appeal to me. I would rather have a vintage original signature that grades a "1" than a restored signature that grades a "10".

Even beyond autographs, I believe that vintage collectibles should remain in their original state. The only restoration that I personally find acceptable is on Posters, Broadsides, Ad Signs and related artwork- and that would be the type of restoration that prevents condition from worsening (ie decay from water damage, edge tears extending, etc.) And even that type of restoration must be fully disclosed by the seller or auction house, IMO.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

To expand on what Jody said: "absolutely no way".
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys....I feel what I told the gentleman in our first conversation was correct. Don't touch the autographs and preferrably don't touch anything....but the minor restoring/cleaning of the other items might not be too bad. Had my composite photo not been cleaned before I got it I think I would have still got it done.....with all I know today. It wasn't disclosed to me when I bought it and I did in fact get a very small partial refund when it was found out...The best restoration is obviously none but there are circumstances when it can actually be done and not hurt too much. I know my composite will now stand the test of time much better since it was professionally cleaned. The few tiny touch ups are just that, very tiny. SO I am very happy with it. As for these autograph pieces this gentleman has I think the answer is obvious and thanks again!! regards

Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I'd suggest that he make high quality copies of the items, and uses the sharpie on the copies to show to his friends.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

An answer is with autographs there are dark signatures and there are light signatues, and that's the way it is.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Matt

I'd suggest that he make high quality copies of the items, and uses the sharpie on the copies to show to his friends.

I have scanned copies of light signatures and made photo quality copies where I can play with the contrast and print out for me to display in my office.

The benefit of this is I can show off what I have and not worry about the light attacking the signature, the autograph getting stolen off the wall or any series of other concerns. The original stays in my safe out of view.

Its a great way to handle this, I think.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

One of my favorite autographs was 'enhanced.'

Following is 1924 Baseball Magazine with a back cover featuring a photo of Ty Cobb and his endorsement of a sweater, along with his facsimile autograph.

I also have the actual autograph that was enhanced (white ink around edges) prior to publication. Cobb signed an endorsement page and sent it back to the company, but the legal part of the document was cut off.

Enhanced, but hard to get more solid provenance for a Cobb autograph.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM
J@son.K

Going off of this thread, I would like to see if anybody can shed some light on how they actually do go about restoring signatures on a ball (not necessarily re-tracing it). I have a signed team ball with most of the sigs fading except the Ted Williams, which is very dark for some reason. I've always been suspicious of it, but it otherwise looks like his sig. I'm wondering if it was "enhanced" somehow but it doesn't appear to be traced over. I looked at it closely with my loupe and it just doesn't look traced but I can't understand why it's the only dark signature on the whole ball. Did Williams sign it with a pen that had very high quality ink compared to the other players?? The signature is definitely the way he signed during that era, so it couldn't have been added much later. Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Brendan Mullen

Scott, that Ty Cobb is unbelievable. Still for sale? Trade?