NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-13-2022, 01:34 PM
GaryPassamonte

Default This is what is wrong with baseball

Today Clayton Kershaw was taken out of the game after 7 perfect innings. Screw advanced stats, sabrmetrics, etc. There is no way a pitcher that has a perfect game or no hitter going should be taken out of a game unless he is physically unable to continue PERIOD. This is what any pitcher or fan lives for.
Modern baseball is a joke. What happened to the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat? I want to see a pitcher reach back and try to achieve something special. That is what happened for most of the history of the game. There is a thread on the card side about baseball dying. Baseball is dying because of stuff like this.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:51 PM

Default Kershaw

Gary- couldn’t agree more. It removes competition from…competition. For all we know though, he could have begged to keep going but got overruled by a pitch counting mouth breather. Trent King
Old 04-13-2022, 02:00 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

When did 100 pitches become the defacto high end stop pitching number?

80 pitches and he got pulled. Freaking makes no sense at all.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:37 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I Completely agree.

The reason I have always loved watching pitchers like Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw.......... is that every time they took the mound, they had a chance to make History!; to elevate that particular game to immortality, instead of it being just another game to slog through.

Managers/Bean Counters have taken excitement, the chance to see something truly special, away from everyone; They've made every game basically the same; unmemorable; just another boring page in the book of a season.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-13-2022, 02:44 PM
Scott Russell

I "get" why they pulled him. Cold early season game, short Spring Training, long top of the 8th inning cooled him down some. But at 34 and not seeming like a guy who will keep going until he's 40, and with everything he has done for that franchise, it should have been HIS decision alone until he slips up or makes history.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-13-2022, 03:35 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I "get" why they pulled him. Cold early season game, short Spring Training, long top of the 8th inning cooled him down some. But at 34 and not seeming like a guy who will keep going until he's 40, and with everything he has done for that franchise, it should have been HIS decision alone until he slips up or makes history.
We can't assume that pitching those two extra innings would hurt the pitcher. And sometimes you have to say the hell with tomorrow. If we all lived our lives with this current baseball mind set, rarely would anyone ever achieve anything great. We preach greatness, but teach mediocrity.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 04-13-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

FWIW. Kershaw said that he was ok with it...he hadn't stretched his arm out this early in the season.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 04-13-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:23 PM

Default Kershaw

Jeff- wow, that pretty much says it all. Might also explain why I despise
modern cards Trent King
Old 04-13-2022, 04:30 PM
James M.

I just can't believe it. I understand they're paid millions of dollars nowadays so these players are more investments than anything else. But we are a far cry from the days of pitchers throwing 10 complete games a season, let alone the times in the 50's, 60's and 70's when they were throwing over 20 of them.

I hate the direction the sport is trending in.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:44 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I just can't believe it. I understand they're paid millions of dollars nowadays so these players are more investments than anything else. But we are a far cry from the days of pitchers throwing 10 complete games a season, let alone the times in the 50's, 60's and 70's when they were throwing over 20 of them.

I hate the direction the sport is trending in.
Another Dodger is the last guy to complete 20 in a season, any guesses?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Another Dodger is the last guy to complete 20 in a season, any guesses?
Valenzuela?
Old 04-13-2022, 05:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Valenzuela?
Yup, and probably used today as the poster child for why you don't do that. He was never the same after that year.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:31 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

This is a tough one. I think it’s slight too easy to say the modern game sucks, he should have stayed in, although I get it. If it were a month from now I’m sure he would have stayed in. Just so early in the season and his goal is a WS ring not a perfect game. Johan Santana stuck it out to give the Mets their first no hitter and I will always remember him for that. But he was never the same and that’s not a good thing.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:26 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
This is a tough one. I think it’s slight too easy to say the modern game sucks, he should have stayed in, although I get it. If it were a month from now I’m sure he would have stayed in. Just so early in the season and his goal is a WS ring not a perfect game. Johan Santana stuck it out to give the Mets their first no hitter and I will always remember him for that. But he was never the same and that’s not a good thing.
Santana threw 134 pitches in that game though (and walked a bunch of batters) - Kershaw was only at 80 and looked absolutely dominant
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-13-2022, 08:28 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
FWIW. Kershaw said that he was ok with it...he hadn't stretched his arm out this early in the season.

Jeff

That's on point...due to the lock-out...there are going to be a lot fewer days off for the same reason...karma comin'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-14-2022, 10:13 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Santana threw 134 pitches in that game though (and walked a bunch of batters) - Kershaw was only at 80 and looked absolutely dominant
Agreed. And I don't believe Kershaw was "OK with it". What else would you expect him to say postgame? He's extremely competitive though, and I have no doubt he wanted to go back for the 8th.

If history is any indication, Kershaw will be hurt this season at some point. Don't be surprised if it happens in between starts or early in a game, for who knows what reason. Yesterday was his day--the stars were aligned and he was feeling it. Taking him out there tells me he will never have another complete game again. Maybe that's OK, but if I were him I would be pissed. He has done more than enough for that franchise to have earned the mound in the 8th.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
And I don't believe Kershaw was "OK with it". What else would you expect him to say postgame?
Agreed.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:46 PM
GaryPassamonte

Agreed x2
Old 04-20-2022, 09:00 AM
T!M R10rd@n

What's the big deal?

So he got pulled.

He still gets a participation trophy, right?

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS