NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-30-2022, 07:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Mets combined no-hitter

Interesting seeing the response to the Mets' 5 pitcher no-hitter last night. As a lifelong Mets fan I thought it was a really special night. Particularly cool as a few young pitchers got involved and will get a little slice of baseball history.

As the great Mets announcers stated up front many times in the course of the game, no one would seriously argue that a combined no no is a special as a complete game no no. Of course not. But this is something that has only happened 16 times in baseball history (out of more than 218,000 games). It's pretty cool, and the only combined no-no that involved 5 pitchers in baseball history.

The response among some supposed baseball experts ran the gamut from pretty cool, to well whatever, to it's embarrassing the Mets and their players are even leaving the dugout and making a big deal about this. One major SABR dude told me last night on Twitter that this would be about as meaningful to him as if he found out after the fact that the game he attended broke the major league record for most flyouts to right field.

I'm not sure I would care very much if the Detroit Tigers or Texas Rangers pitched a combined no-no last night, but isn't it more than a bit absurd to crap on something that has happened 16 times in baseball history?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-30-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:55 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
One major SABR dude told me last night on Twitter that this would be about as meaningful to him as if he found out after the fact that the game he attended broke the major league record for most flyouts to right field.

I'm not sure I would care very much if the Detroit Tigers or Texas Rangers pitched a combined no-no last night, but isn't it more than a bit absurd to crap on something that has happened 16 times in baseball history?

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. One might even call it condescending.

Yes, it's more meaningful having one guy do it...but having 5 different guys pitching lights out for 9 innings, has to be some sort of statistical miracle itself.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:58 AM
Dave

Anybody know the most pitches thrown in a 9 inning no hitter?

Mets threw 159 pitches. Doubt it's the most...but has to be up there.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:18 AM
Charles Jackson

Yeah, 159 pitches is the most on record (for last 30 years) for a no-hitter
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lphia-phillies

They struck out 12 and walked 6, so there's some pitches there.

But yeah, pretty exciting, especially for a Mets fan like myself. The first and only other no-hitter by a Met was Johan Santana's (134 pitches), and some believe he messed up his arm in the process. Pretty grateful Tyler Megill won't be messed up from the start.

Mets with the best record in the Majors with Yankees right behind them. Exciting times, especially if DeGrom comes back relatively soon.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-13-2022 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yeah, it's pretty absurd. One might even call it condescending.

Yes, it's more meaningful having one guy do it...but having 5 different guys pitching lights out for 9 innings, has to be some sort of statistical miracle itself.
Yeah, condescending is exactly the tone I sensed. I'm sure if SABR guy discovered the first 5 pitcher no hitter and it was from some obscure game in 1898 and took place on a corn field in Kansas he's be all excited about it and would speaking about it with bated breath at their next meeting.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:26 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Anybody know the most pitches thrown in a 9 inning no hitter?

Mets threw 159 pitches. Doubt it's the most...but has to be up there.

BBR's pitch count only appears from 1988, but I'm sure one of Ryan's No-No's, perhaps the second one: a 17K, 4BB effort against the Tiger.

Speaking on unknown Ryan pitch counts, on 6/14/74, his line against the Red Sox was 13-8-3-3-10-19!

He struck out Cecil Cooper six times; walked in a run in the 4th; gave up a game-tying HR to Yas in the ninth.

The Angels won 4-3 in 15 innings, with the SHOULD-BE-HOFer, LUIS TIANT, JR. going the full distance and taking the loss.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-30-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:30 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Lifelong Met fan here. Santana was very special (I remember jumping up and cheering at home), but personally the combined no-hitter does nothing for me. I'm optimistic about this season though
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-30-2022, 11:15 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I liked it a lot for some weird reason. Agree that if another team did it I’d probably yawn. But it was very cool to watch.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Not me

Us Phillie Phans hated it!
But it’s okay since in the standings it only counts as one loss.

As for a team NH, it’s seemingly more difficult to keep the momentum from pitcher to pitcher.
I can see that sometimes a guy just “has it going” and the guy just puzzles hitters all day. Like Ryan and Feller on their special days.

More pitchers would probably be better odds that one of them would leave a pitch in the zone and ruin the NH.

I don’t think there are stats to prove that yet, but I do believe that combo no hitters are going to be more common place than single pitcher no-no’s.
The 16 we have now will likely eventually catch up to the single player versions…

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:05 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Us Phillie Phans hated it!
But it’s okay since in the standings it only counts as one loss.

As for a team NH, it’s seemingly more difficult to keep the momentum from pitcher to pitcher.
I can see that sometimes a guy just “has it going” and the guy just puzzles hitters all day. Like Ryan and Feller on their special days.

More pitchers would probably be better odds that one of them would leave a pitch in the zone and ruin the NH.

I don’t think there are stats to prove that yet, but I do believe that combo no hitters are going to be more common place than single pitcher no-no’s.
The 16 we have now will likely eventually catch up to the single player versions…
There have been 315 no-hitters and only 17 combined, it will take forever to catch up.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:22 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Tampa did it with 6 pitchers last week, but then lost the no-no in extra innings.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401354457

https://sports.yahoo.com/rays-red-so...Bobby%20Dalbec.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:30 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Time

It will surely take a long time. And I certainly will not be around this earth to see it.
But I still believe it…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
There have been 315 no-hitters and only 17 combined, it will take forever to catch up.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Tampa did it with 6 pitchers last week, but then lost the no-no in extra innings.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401354457

https://sports.yahoo.com/rays-red-so...Bobby%20Dalbec.
In 2003 the Astros had a six pitcher no hitter.
Roy Oswalt, Peter Munro, Kirk Saarloos, Brad Lidge, Octavio Dotel and Billy Wagner.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:20 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The Mariners had a 6-pitcher no-hitter on Jun 8, 2012:

Mariners - 1
Dodgers - 0

Kevin Millwood - 6 innings
Charlie Furbush - 2/3 inning
Stephen Pryor - 1/3 inning
Lucas Luetge - 1/3 inning
Brandon League - 2/3 inning
Tom Wilhelmsen - 1 inning

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox