NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-15-2023, 08:42 AM
James M.

Default Forgotten Baseball Players From Your Youth?

I always love hearing and discussing about the players of the past, specifically some of the players that were good for their time, but have since been lost in the sands of baseball time.

I feel Bernie Williams has been very much forgotten as a player. He was such an important part to the Yankees dynasty in the 90s. Played the game hard, was a clutch hitter, and played a solid center field.

Who are the players you feel like, have been forgotten, from your time of watching the sport?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:14 AM

Dick Allen, Luis Tiant, Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Bill Madlock and Steve Garvey. These guys were all big stars when I was growing up, but have largely been forgotten.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:50 AM

Ryne Sandberg
Old 08-15-2023, 11:02 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

One of the most exciting Twins to watch was Cesar Tovar. One game he played an inning at each position, and when he was pitching, he struck out Reggie Jackson. He had some outstanding years and then just disappeared (although he played into his 40s in Venezuela or somewhere.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tovar.jpg (174.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 08-15-2023, 11:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Ryne Sandberg
Does it not drive you insane that the new young collectors constantly pronounce his name as "Ryan Sandberg"? I have heard it so many times and it still is nails on a chalkboard.

As for me it seems almost every star from 1980 to 1995 has been forgotten other than about 10 names and it's sad.

People like -
Darrell Evans
Jim Abbott
Dave Concepcion
John Olerud
Bobby Abreu
Willie Randolph
Jack Clark
Lou Whitaker
...and a ton more.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:10 AM
Tom S

Bob Watson - One the most consistent hitters of the 1970's and a great Human Being off the field.

Also, A single season sensation Joe Charbonneau. AL rookie of the year. In 1980 he brought excitement to a moribund Cleveland Indians franchise with his tape measure home runs. A year later his career was pretty much over due to a back injury. He holds the record for fewest games played by a rookie of the year (201).
Old 08-16-2023, 08:34 AM

I will second Bernie. What an unbelievable player to watch day in and day out. He will never get the credit he deserves.

I feel the same way about Andy Pettitte. I realize he has the PED stain and that will always haunt him, but what a pitcher to get to watch. He was someone Yankee fans felt like they could always count on.

Over 18 seasons he never once had a losing record.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:21 PM

Though I was always a bit of a Yankees hater (Jeter was overrated -- There, I said it...), I always loved watching Bernie Williams and Mariano Rivera. I'm not sure that Mariano Rivera is forgotten by any stretch, and he certainly isn't from my youth. But I think both guys were always in the shadow of Jeter and A-Rod from a coverage standpoint.

I think Ivan Rodriguez also doesn't get the attention that he deserves. Guy was the best catcher in history. There, I said that also. The numbers aren't even close IMHO.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:03 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Does it not drive you insane that the new young collectors constantly pronounce his name as "Ryan Sandberg"? I have heard it so many times and it still is nails on a chalkboard.

As for me it seems almost every star from 1980 to 1995 has been forgotten other than about 10 names and it's sad.

People like -
Darrell Evans
Jim Abbott
Dave Concepcion
John Olerud
Bobby Abreu
Willie Randolph
Jack Clark
Lou Whitaker
...and a ton more.
Many guys from the 80's. Alan Trammel is someone else that comes to mind, Dave Steib too.

I was listening to talkin baseball the other day, and quite a few guys from the 80s are no longer talked about. Bobby Bonds, Dan Quisenberry, and Rusty Staub get no respect!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:21 PM

Bobby Richardson, Tony Kubek, Elston Howard.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:47 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Rusty Staub was the best pinch hitter I remember, got screwed out of being the 25th man on that ‘86 Mets team.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:02 PM
John I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Many guys from the 80's. Alan Trammel is someone else that comes to mind, Dave Steib too.

I was listening to talkin baseball the other day, and quite a few guys from the 80s are no longer talked about. Bobby Bonds, Dan Quisenberry, and Rusty Staub get no respect!
There's at least one kid who appreciates Quiz
Old 08-17-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Though I was always a bit of a Yankees hater (Jeter was overrated -- There, I said it...), I always loved watching Bernie Williams and Mariano Rivera. I'm not sure that Mariano Rivera is forgotten by any stretch, and he certainly isn't from my youth. But I think both guys were always in the shadow of Jeter and A-Rod from a coverage standpoint.

I think Ivan Rodriguez also doesn't get the attention that he deserves. Guy was the best catcher in history. There, I said that also. The numbers aren't even close IMHO.
You say Derek Jeter was overrated; I mean, YOU ACTUALLY WROTE THAT DEREK JETER WAS OVERRATED!?! Well, all I have to say, and I know it's just whistling in the dark, is that I will stand beside you and scream, "JETER WAS OVERRATED; FURTHERMORE, HE WAS WAY------AY OVERPAID!!!!!!!!!"

---- Brian Powell
Old 08-17-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
You say Derek Jeter was overrated; I mean, YOU ACTUALLY WROTE THAT DEREK JETER WAS OVERRATED!?! Well, all I have to say, and I know it's just whistling in the dark, is that I will stand beside you and scream, "JETER WAS OVERRATED; FURTHERMORE, HE WAS WAY------AY OVERPAID!!!!!!!!!"

---- Brian Powell
Haha, yes, well coming from the tri-state area, saying Jeter was overrated is like saying Joe Namath was overrated. Whoops. Did I just say that also?
Old 08-18-2023, 07:50 AM
Jeremy

David Justice is the first name that comes to mind. He's still 3rd all time in postseason RBI's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img533dj.jpg (181.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 08-26-2023, 11:03 AM
James

Joe Skalski, pride of the south side Chicago, and Cleveland Indian pitcher. Met him as a kid at my cousins wedding, and boy was that the highlight.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:51 AM

How about Mark Grace
Old 08-28-2023, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Dick Allen, Luis Tiant, Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Bill Madlock and Steve Garvey. These guys were all big stars when I was growing up, but have largely been forgotten.
George Foster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQcPc7yeig

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:27 AM
Mike Henry

Timothy James Salmon and Albert JoJuan Belle.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't say they are "forgotten" but I don't think most people remember just how good Will Clark and Eric Davis were. If you told 10year old me in 1990 that neither of them would be in the hall of fame, I would've thought you were kidding.

Clark had the sweetest swing we had ever seen, if you were playing little league in the late 80's he was the guy that you watched and tried to copy his swing. He had something crazy like 20/12 vision and always seemed to know what pitch was coming. I don't remember ever hearing anything bad about him, seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Absolutely one of the best hitters in all of baseball at his peak. Injuries just piled up and he could never make it through a full season though. I just checked his bbref and the second half of his career was actually much better than I thought! He just kind of got overshadowed and forgotten about as baseball went into the steroid era with people putting up ridiculous numbers.

Davis was like a version of Rickey with just a little less speed / baserunning ability but a little more power. He was a genuine "5 tool player" ahead of his time. Definitely was considered one of the best all-around players in baseball in the late 80's but even at his peak he was never healthy for a full year (career high 135 G) and the injuries quickly got to be more severe. But the man had a 27 HR 80 SB season and followed it up next year with 37 HR and 50 SB, just an absurd combination of speed and power. Sadly diagnosed with colon cancer, but not only survived it but came back and played at a very high level after that but again just couldn't stay on the field due to more injuries. Feels like he is hardly remembered these days though.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

David Clyde:

'Clydepepper' was the moniker my teammates laid on me as I was a lefty with some promise at the time...of course our league wasn't anywhere close to the majors.

Though I don't know for sure, the movie 'Talent for the Game' seemed to be based on David Clyde's rush to the majors...of course, they had to provide a happier ending.

In 1981, Clyde was 6-0 with a 0.76 ERA pitching for the AA Columbus (GA) Astros.

Columbus is my hometown and I kick myself all the time because I missed seeing him pitch. I was probably working in retail management then, so I didn't get much free time.

I did get to see Floyd Bannister pitch one of his only three games here in 1976. He was in his first year out of Arizona State...and man, was his windup and delivery smooth!

I also got to chat with Joe Sambito one night when he was charting pitches...and got to meet and shake hands with Russell Branyan the year he led the minors in homers with 40- That was 1996, the regular park was being used for Olympic Softball- and the Columbus Indians played on the same field on which I played in College (before flunking out- the first time).

Our last pro team left after the 2006 season...not enough support. Sad!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-30-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:49 AM

additional votes for Oliver and Madlock. literally every time i saw them play on TV it was three hits and 2 RBI.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
How about Mark Grace
Mark had the most hits in baseball during the 90s and my brothers favorite player.

Ellis Burks and Tino Martinez for me.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Dan Quisenberry. 4 straight top 3 Cy Young placings as a reliever.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:31 AM

Not from my youth I guess but I was always a big fan of Tim Hudson. He's got almost 90 more wins than losses and a 3.49 career ERA in a very hitter friendly era. Only 2 losing seasons in 17 years. Always a high winning percentage guy. But I'm sure I'll be one of the few to remember him.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:31 AM
H Murphy

Tony Conigliaro, what a shooting star player he was.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:21 PM

A couple of other guys who reached heights only be ground into dust by injuries:

Nomar and Grady Sizemore
Old 09-11-2023, 05:57 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai316 View Post
I wouldn't say they are "forgotten" but I don't think most people remember just how good Will Clark and Eric Davis were. If you told 10year old me in 1990 that neither of them would be in the hall of fame, I would've thought you were kidding.

Clark had the sweetest swing we had ever seen, if you were playing little league in the late 80's he was the guy that you watched and tried to copy his swing. He had something crazy like 20/12 vision and always seemed to know what pitch was coming. I don't remember ever hearing anything bad about him, seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Absolutely one of the best hitters in all of baseball at his peak. Injuries just piled up and he could never make it through a full season though. I just checked his bbref and the second half of his career was actually much better than I thought! He just kind of got overshadowed and forgotten about as baseball went into the steroid era with people putting up ridiculous numbers.

Davis was like a version of Rickey with just a little less speed / baserunning ability but a little more power. He was a genuine "5 tool player" ahead of his time. Definitely was considered one of the best all-around players in baseball in the late 80's but even at his peak he was never healthy for a full year (career high 135 G) and the injuries quickly got to be more severe. But the man had a 27 HR 80 SB season and followed it up next year with 37 HR and 50 SB, just an absurd combination of speed and power. Sadly diagnosed with colon cancer, but not only survived it but came back and played at a very high level after that but again just couldn't stay on the field due to more injuries. Feels like he is hardly remembered these days though.
+1 for Eric the Red and Will The Thrill. Really fun players to watch, and I don't think many people under 30-35 know who they are.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-11-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Murr the Blurr

I'm dating myself, but three guys I loved to watch work were Catfish Hunter, Fergie Jenkins and Dave "King Kong" Kingman ...
Old 09-14-2023, 08:02 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Just to represent for the West Coast, I would say top 3 great (but largely forgotten) Dodgers from the 80s: (1) Pedro Guerrero; (2) Fernando Valenzuela (arguably as hot as Shohei Ohtani for a couple of seasons); and (3) Orel Hershiser.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:01 AM
Bret B

How about a couple of guys from the 83 "Go Go" Sox? Ron Kittle and Greg Luzinski! The Bull also had some great years in Philly!
Old 09-15-2023, 05:12 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Speak of dating oneself - Hank Sauer (also had the pleasure of meeting him once and talking baseball for over 2 hours) and Dwight Evans.