NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2021, 12:03 PM
J@RR0D

Default Building a set without the internet

I'm just curious if in the past decade or so any of you folks have tried to build a set with no assistance from the internet? Just card shows, trades with friends/friends-of-friends, etc, like we used to do. Unless it's a truly difficult set, it's so easy to complete one via ebay now, as long as your funds allow it. I just think it could be a neat challenge. I miss seeing a FS ad in the back of a magazine with no photo, sending away money, and hoping I get a nice card in return.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I'm just curious if in the past decade or so any of you folks have tried to build a set with no assistance from the internet? Just card shows, trades with friends/friends-of-friends, etc, like we used to do. Unless it's a truly difficult set, it's so easy to complete one via ebay now, as long as your funds allow it. I just think it could be a neat challenge. I miss seeing a FS ad in the back of a magazine with no photo, sending away money, and hoping I get a nice card in return.
Never tried it because there just aren't any shows around here anymore. I did complete a lower/mid grade complete 1955 Bowman set just buying cards off here(Net54). It took a couple years and was well worth the experience. Got killed selling it though.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:02 PM
J@RR0D

Yikes, I hate to hear that Ben. I'm considering doing this, but as there are few shows here (and no card shops that sell individual cards) then maybe just "no ebay/auctions" would kind of modernize it without making it simply click + buy.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:17 PM
Fred

Quote:
Is that even possible?

I pretty much rely on the internet for a huge majority of my searches/transactions. On the wrong coast there's not many good shows and we certainly don't have dealers with the same quality/quantity of vintage material that exists in the north-east side of the US.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Yikes, I hate to hear that Ben. I'm considering doing this, but as there are few shows here (and no card shops that sell individual cards) then maybe just "no ebay/auctions" would kind of modernize it without making it simply click + buy.
When buying a set in smaller groups and singles the shipping adds up real quick.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:21 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Would be a great project.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Obc

If you mean “no internet” as buying cards, but still able to use it to communicate, then it happens all the time in OBC. Guys put together sets in a couple days from other members bombarding them with cards. However, it’s an internet group.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 12-03-2021, 02:27 PM
J@RR0D

I actually meant no forums/websites/etc, just in person/phone/magazines/shows. "Paelo Set Building", if you will.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:47 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
I actually meant no forums/websites/etc, just in person/phone/magazines/shows. "Paelo Set Building", if you will.
I love the thought provoking post.

One additional problem with that, even though you mention "friends/friends-of-friends" is that not many of my local in person friends collect.

As a kid, pretty much 80% of my friends were all chasing 1987 Topps...so it was easy to get a trade going.

But now, of the one or two guys I know that collect, we don't really collect the same sets...so trading partners are pretty much ZERO without the internet.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:18 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
But now, of the one or two guys I know that collect, we don't really collect the same sets...so trading partners are pretty much ZERO without the internet.
Same here. Therein lies the challenge.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I find the thought so impossible that I couldn't even imagine building a set without 99% of the cards coming from eBay and other on-line acquisitions. And in the COVID era, card shows are as infrequent as lunar eclipses, so there's not a lot of hope working that avenue successfully.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:43 PM
T0dd M@rcum

That was one of the great things about owning a shop in the 80s...set builders coming in...we helped a lot of people build 1987 Topps sets.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:05 PM
David M.

I did it back in the day all the time. But not in the last 30 years. It would be possible but extremely difficult for any older sets. All of the local shops have modern cards but very little vintage. If you were building this year's base set I guess you could probably do that pretty easy with buying at the local shops.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 12-03-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Justin

I try to go to a couple shows a month. From what I see I think 1953 Topps and later might be doable over time, but earlier stuff would be pretty tough. I'm slowly working on 4 sets now and have been picking up pieces at shows. No desire to limit where I get stuff though.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 12-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Brandon Bailey

I think it’s possible depending on where you live and the availability of card shows or shops, but probably more difficult then the 80’s and 90’s by a wide margin. I went to local shows and shops and the willow grove shows and eventually the national to complete sets back then, but now I think more people sell online as compared to shows and in person, I wish it weren’t that way but don’t see it ever going back. Seems like a fun project but might be extremely difficult. If you decide to do it keep us updated on your progress.