NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Magie that we just discussed

Posted By: dan mckee

Obviously not tampered with, it is professionally graded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5137230274&rd=1

Old 11-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

He bought it for $2200, so that ought to pay for his grading fee if he gets the minimum bid...the BIN would almost double his money...

Old 11-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've always thought that they were overgraders; now I am uncertain of their ability to actually identify faked and altered cards.

I know you hate grading Dan, but I like SGC's work...

Old 11-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I originally believed the card was real,i had a reliable source tell me the seller was reliable and now since the card is graded it doesnt change my initial opinion[obviously]

I think the better question now is how someone from Tuckerton,NJ was able to afford a t206 Magie.Ive never seen the movie deliverance but when someone described the movie to me they said think Tuckerton.Its about 25 minutes from me and id love to see the card in person but not bad enough to go to Tuckerton.Just for a better idea of the town if you havent seen Deliverance,their football teams mascot is a banjo playing spitoon

Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

john,

Normally that quote wouldn't bother me but for whatever reason this time it did. Let me first say that the house i just bought was over 500k so Tuckerton being right out of deliverance is a little bit off. Also i just sold my house in Loveladie's to purchase this one because being an avid boater the lagoon here is much nicer with better access to the inlet.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE ?

And by the way since you obviously like to worry about where other peoples money come's from let me say that i'm 34 years old, married with 3 children and work 4 days a week at a small bait & tackle store. Most of my time is spent fishing and now collecting baseball cards which i just got back into after a 10 year absence.

TELL ME WHERE ARE YOU IN YOUR LIFE ?
I KNOW THIS IS A BAD INTRO FOR MYSELF BUT THAT STATEMENT JUST PISSED ME OFF.

SCOTT

Old 11-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

tuckerton nj,
only 15 percent of the population went to college,
average household income 40,000, rank 467

location, pine barrens
hillbillies with banjo's a distinct possibility

Old 11-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

You had to live in the big city to own a nice baseball card.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I'm curious as to why this card was sent to GAI. Did PSA reject it?

On a side note, I do not feel it is right to harass him about the price he is asking. He took the risk. I also do not feel it is right to call him an inbred hillbilly based on where he resides. However, it is my opinion that only a douchebag would ship a $3500 card in a bubble mailer.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Thank you chris,

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. People live in all area's. My town like all other's has it's good and bad area's.
The majority of resident's here are blue coller workers such as carpenters and comercial fisherman. I just don't like when people make small minded comment's when the don't know what there talking about.
This is where i chose to live in my semi retirement until my kids graduate high school and my wife and i can move south.
Still has a small town feel and some of the best people i have ever met live here. Plus the unpretentiousnes of Little egg harbor, n.j. is great compared to Long Beach Island which is where i grew up.

scott

Old 11-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

sit back,relax and strap it down.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

so am i vindicated?

-original seller.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Im glad you like Tuckerton and sorry if what other people say make you feel bad but from the people i know who have been there they told me think Deliverence which ive still never seen but have seen parodies of and i know the basic premise of the movie.Ive been told by people that they wont go into the town.If you have a house that nice then you obviously arent one of the people or parts of the town they or I in this case were referencing.

When youve been told that a place is bad by numerous sources then you tend to believe it.I dont think any of them had some kind of vendetta towards the town.Ive been in the middle of Asbury Park at 2am after leaving my cousins music studio by myself and i wont go to Tuckerton anytime thanks to what ive been told.

Plain and simple thats the facts.and the part of their football mascot being a banjo playing spitoon was obviously a joke because why would they have a high school with no use for it

PS Scott,dont get mad over what people on the computer say,especially someone who owns almost a complete set of t206s including a Magie and said from the beginning that they thought your card was real before you owned it.You obviously proved you arent the 'normal' Tuckerton resident that people talk about, and if what you say is accurate about your finances than you are WAY better off than i am.Good luck with the card and i hope you get a bid honestly because it will raise the value of my own example

Old 11-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: horseyoucameinon

Dude you need to lighten up already. It seems he gave you an “out” to back off your rant but you continue on, harping about how crappy his town is. If the gene pool in the area is as shallow as you say, the fact you live nearby tells me you probably have a banjo on your front porch, or at least shotguns next to your lawn chairs so yall’ can shoot at mailboxes while drinking Keystone Ale! Let it go.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

"Deliverence": LOVED the "Duelling Guitars" Bob says it's "Duelling Banjos." I get confused, because the musician-guy has a guitar, and the hillbilly boy has a banjo. Is that kid really PLAYING that stuff? (Or, for that matter, the grown-up?) Burt Reynolds is too macho (getting killed and getting your leg mangled is "playing the game", etc.)

My, Sherry, what a huge final "E" you have!

Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I did lighten up and in fact i even said i wasnt referencing him personally,and i like how you tell me to lighten up but then group anyone within a 30 mile radius into his alleged towns group which he obviously isnt part of.

If i had a banjo id play it all the time but i dont drink so if i started i dont think keystone would be my beer of choice,maybe rolling rock which seems to be popular among my friends and well-wishers.If i had a shotgun tho and sat on my front porch[which i also dont have] id be willing to bet id shoot my mailbox at least once so thats a fair statement i cant argue with.

Maybe we should all have a Tuckerton lovefest and talk about what we love most about the town.My favorite thing is the town tooth,on display at the towns museum/bait shop/tire repair center. Anyone else wanna share

PS Dont mess with Tuckerton
PSS I just checked mapquest and i live 41 miles away from Tuckertons city limits,so do i still qulify as close enough to fit into that group[i got my fingers crossed]

Old 11-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Adesso

I play banjo. I must be an idiot? Indeed you're right. I am!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Enquiring minds want to know--I don't read that magazine! (speaking of idiots...)

Has anyone seen the blasted movie besides me? It was actually on this morning on A&E, and I wanted to watch till the "Duelling Banjos--or Guitars--" was over--but I forgot...

Old 11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

http://www.sillyhumor.com/banjo.html

Old 11-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

NOT play the banjo. I watched the making of the the movie on one of Ted Turner's channels. There was a musician behind the kid on the porch. He put his arms around the kid, while the kid sat in the chair, and played. BTW, I live in a very small town - a valley. LOVE IT! I have been across the United States, but have found no place else I would rather LIVE! And NO, we are not all hillbillies who play banjos - I think people are like that in the Ozarks where Tbob resides - just kidding!

Old 11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I guess I LOVE one "backwoods" activity in the hills where I live - Rooster Fighting! But, then again, so did President Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson! This activity is tied with my other favorite pastime - collecting vintage cards!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I was jogging by the river a few years ago with my hound dog when we passed three scruffy guys jogging in hiking boots. One of them said "hey - what kinda dog's that?" I told him. He asked "Is she a good fighter? I here them dogs make good fighters." I restrained myself and told him that they also make good pets and were bread as lion hunters. It totally disgusts me that "people" were using them in dog fights. I wouldn't mind attending such a fight with a double-barrel shot gun. Roosters are a different thing, although I confess I don't understand any of these animal fights.

These are the kind of conversations you have in North Georgia. It's sort of like going to an unenclosed zoo.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Man, I just don't get the red states...

Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Administrator

I'm no longer welcome in Alabama and Florida, so the feeling's mutual...

Old 11-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Is that a joke Julie,or did 2 states really totally ban you

Im not allowed upstairs at my house if company is over so i sort of know how you feel

Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

well, everywhere she practices that old rule about discussions to avoid in social settings.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I am totally lost. How did a thread about a T- 206 magie turn into a thread about poor, white trash, lowlife, beer drinking, mail box shotgun shooting, towns and residences?

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

current residence- Des Moines, Iowa
future residence- Greenwich, Connecticut

Old 11-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Hey, I forgot when I met my sister in Selma (we stayed in Birmingham and Selma) to scatter my mom's ashes--in the Selma River, in the cemetary, lots of places. Met some REAL nice relatives in Birmingham, too

Old 11-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Administrator

If you had, you'd not be asking what's wrong with it...you'd know.

Arizona: nice ballpark, hotter'n'hell, strange people...don't even do daylight savings and rejected the MLK holiday (never mind the politics, those bozos rejected another chance for a three-day weekend).