NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Auction on the up and up????

Posted By: Elliot 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2753355553&category=31722

Positives: Accepts PayPal, Card is graded

Negatives: Private Auction, 0 feedback , God Bless, and you need to read the my ebay page

Thoughts???

Old 09-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I read the seller's About Me page. Is this guy serious or is he on some kind of a manic depressive high?

Old 09-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob (ramram)

Seems to know his way around ebay. Already has a Paypal account. Has been registered for three years (Oct. of 2000) but has no feedback. Four auctions up with the two high dollar items being private auctions (how many newbies even know about setting up private auctions?). One of his auctions is a mint Ruth autograph.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

If they are a legitimate charity, they should consign their stuff through Scott Gaynor and make more more money for the cause.

I don't know the rules surrounding these types of things-- and perhaps theres is a certain budget minimum needed before these types of rules kick in, and this sellers' sales are too small-- but doesn't a charity have to be registered or such? And, if they are registered, I would assume they would be required to provide the relevant information on request.

While I am against child slavery and this seller may be sincere, I think one's scarce charity budget can be spent with more transparent/organized groups or individuals.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Having looked at it further, I would recommend that everyone stay away from this auction. Beyond the usual "All Sales are Final" and Private auction, I will start and end this post by saying:

* Legitimate charities give their address and phone number

* Legitimate charities give the name of the charity

* In fact, it my be illegal in and of itself not to do the above when dealing in an advertising/promotional/public forum

Old 09-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Also, perhaps I read the wrong newspapers, but I have not seen the reports concerning the roving bands of New York celebrities using stolen credit cards to buy babies so they can drug induce the babies into having psychic powers. Perhaps, this appeared on Fox.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Legit? Or not? I won't be bidding. How many people have a graded Ruth card and an autographed lying around? And how many would allow a no name charity with 0 feedback on Ebay to handle the transaction? I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. Be well Brian

PS I'm just trying to keep David company.

Old 09-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

run like a frenchman fleeing a german army. run like mucous on a kindergartener's upper lip.

this fella knows the tricks, the odds of his being legit are low.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Adams

This guy isn't just a scam-artist. He's a bit of a psycho himself. The "Ruth" autographs are garbage, his story and charity are total garbage and pure fantasy, in that order. And whoever does win this SGC 60 Ruth, even if the scan is of a legitimate card, will not be getting it in this lieftime.
His charity "mission" sounds like a sci/fi "B" movie plot. This seller has been watching too many Ed Wood movies.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The only thing dumber than bidding on this item would be buying it off-line.

That "About Me" page is very creative...and scary.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and it was real simple. The American Friends (Quakers) Service Committee drew up this sheet of paper which I signed, saying all proceeds from my sale of cards on a particular Saturday were theirs. I set up at a table at the--Holliday Inn?--weekly show on University Avenue in Berkeley, my daughter counted the money, and my friend Hazel drew the poster. I made $965! (nobody trusted me enough to buy the few old things I bought--except Dennis King, who swooped up a creased Cobb red background). Then I went out and bought two money orders, and took them way the hell over to the other side of San Francisco--oh, it was for the famine in Bangladesh--and gave them to the A.F.S.C. They asked if I wanted to contribute the money in anyone's name, and I said my father(who later reported that he'd gotten a card saying it had been contributed "in honor" of him--which neither of us liked.)

Since I wasn't earning enough money to be taxed, there was no problem about tax deductions. A year later, a lady I had met there showed up, asking if i would like to sell morew cards for them. I said no, I really was a collector, not a charity.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Sounds a little too-graphic. I don't think I like it.