NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default Reccius Wagner - Auction Ended Early

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I ended the auction early because I am truly torn about whether or not to sell the card, and I don't want to be forced to do so by Ebay.

PS - These timely threads about "Which Card Do You Wish You Had Never Sold?" didn't help any!

YES, I have several serious collectors bidding against each other on the card via e-mail, so I could sell it instantly if I ultimately decide to do so...

but I am not guaranteed of winning the 1914 Ruth, and I would be sad to end up with neither.

I will certainly keep everyone here posted.

If nothing else... the bidding has reaffirmed the importance of the card to me... which is a large part of what is making me want to keep it. The old Catch-22.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

That Ruth sure is sweet, Hal...but obviously it's not 1 of a kind like your Honus. Can't you have both? Mortgage your kids education for it!!!@

Old 04-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

At times collecting can drive us all to the brink of needing psychiatric help. I think you did the right thing Hal. If you like the card, you should keep it, whatever else it may or may not be it is unique (until someone finds 10 more in their Louisville basement ), who cares about hypertechnicalities like trade card or not, rookie card or not, etc. etc.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ted

That i would agree with!

Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Dunno Hal, seeing as someone spilled cranberry juice or red wine all over the card, I'd be selling it in a heart beat :-p But it is one of a kind, so it makes it tough to part with. No matter what card you ulitimately end up with, you will have one hell of a great card. I'm sure the real torment is trying to figure out how to buy the Ruth and still keep the Wagner.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Hal when the wife wont let you spend only 100k on a card without selling a card of equal value,its time to get out of the relationship.Shes holding you down!

Heres an idea,sell the Wagner,by that Wood 1886 Giants cabinets set and give me the Corcoran as payment for the marital advice.I really dont see any other option

Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Just one man's opinion, but I would rather have the Baltimore News Ruth. But it may sell for significantly more than 100k. Only Hal knows what those who have inquired are willing to pay for his Wagner. And Hal surely knows that some of the people who may be interested in that Wagner are not looking on ebay regularly and perhaps do not lurk on this site.
JimB

P.S. When I showed my fiance the photo of the Baltimore News Ruth in the REA catalog, she thought it was a really cool card, but questioned whether it was perhaps overgraded. Aren't I lucky?

Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

JimB is right in that the people who are bidding on the card are NOT regular Ebay watchers, but serious collectors who are well known by the auctions houses, etc.

I think the only reason they even knew about the EBay auction was because I sent the link to a lot of dealers and auction houses and asked them to please forward it to any of their good customers who might be interested.

I'm now about 85% towards keeping it...

but someone could increase that figure to 90% the other way at any time.

But I think I will keep it.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Hal,

I applaud your knowing how much the card means to you.

You put it best when you said that the bidding reaffirmed how
important the card is to you.

Stay in that awareness. Don't let marketing/mercantilism capture you!

all the best

Barry

Old 04-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks Barry!

I think reading your thread just now has put the final brick in the wall.

I will NOT sell it!

I will keep it forever...even if Henry Reccius appears on TV tonight and says he made the card in 1984 for a Renata Galasso reprint set!!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Magificent!

Glad to hear it!

Your KNOWING what truly matters to you is almost as good as holding the
card in hand, isn't it?!

all the best, Hal

Barry

Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--Just remember that famous french saying: "Au pays des aveugles les borgnes sont rois"

Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hal we eagerly await your next adventure.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

So....."In the land of the blind, the
one-eyed are king.".......might you continue.....

Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator

According to a website it is from the Dutch philosopher Erasmus and means, "A man of even limited ability is at a great advantage in the company of those less able." EDITED TO SPELL NAME CORRECTLY

Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I bet the consigner of the Ruth card is pissed right now!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin

Keep it, I have never seen a card like that, what if that card ios worth more than the T206, which is more rare than the T206, keep the card and if you hit the lotto buy the Ruth, keep the Wagner 100% unless you really need the money!

I love how it looks!

Great Card!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

To quote George Carlin:

"Think how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Old 04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

George Carlin is a genius. AM/FM is one of the funniest comedy albums ever. Whoops, I just went o/t and engaged in thread hijacking simultaneously, or continued same by Jay, apologies.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

to start my title up there....(woops, another thread). You know, living here in Louisville........home of Reccius Tobacco, I had never seen the box nor the trade card and I have, for the last 20+ years searched all the antique malls and have pretty good contacts on the vintage front, so I was suprised at both the tobacco box and the trade card being found, but.........

I also heard after the trade card was initially found that another had been found in town but it was somewhat smaller. I know the person who dealt with the party of the 1st part that 'found' it and they had contacted Hunt Auctions but nothing really came of it from that point forward and my last info was that they felt it was a hoax.

Just food for thought.............

Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

George Carlin is worthy of hijacking a thread. Especially since Hal ended the auction early, what else are we gonna talk about :-p I own all his LPs up to Double Yellow Line. After that, his lapse into coke for awhile really hurt is material, but he now as funny and relevent as ever. He is also a great social commentor and and love his play with the English language. Several sig lines I use for email are Carlin lines.

Just to keep sort of on topic with Carlin, I love his Baseball-Football monologue. Just a classic, up there with Who's On First.

Jay -

Show me a lazy prick who sits around all day, eatting chips, watching TV and occasionally getting up to piss and I'll show someone who isn't causing any trouble. - George Carlin

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.