NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I recently received Barry Sloate's newest auction catlaog (Awesome!) and noticed that he has an Old Judge proof of Tredway, St. Paul up for bid. I have seen examples of these Goodwin cabinet photo proofs in several places including Lipset's encyclopedia and in a great article by Jay Miller on a rare George Toffling example. How difficult are these to find? What kind of price range do these generally fall into? I have thought of acquiring one as a sort of type card since I collect N172's, but I wasn't sure if the price would make that prohibitive. Any thoughts?

Old 07-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Jay Miller

Thank you for the kind words. Old Judge proofs are pretty scarce and, in a way, underappreciated in the hobby. Although they are scarcer than the comparable Old Judge cabinet they often sell for less. There are many different photographers who took pictures for Goodwin. Most of these photographers had their names on the mounts. Some people collect one proof from every photographer. I do, and I have found that progress is slow. This proof is very nice looking and should go in the $500-$700 range.
BTW, I agree that Barry's catalog is very nice. He sure gets the most out of a small book; his photography is beyond compare.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Jim Rivera

Is the Barry Sloate auction live on the internet?
If so could I get the address? can't seem to find it in google search:(
If not could I get a # or some info on joining?

Thanks Jim

Stemmers37@att.net

Old 07-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

http://www.oneplacemedia.com/sloateauction/

Old 07-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Thanks for the info on the OJ cabinet Proofs. I'll have to keep an eye out for them in future auctions/sales. Having recently embarked on my N172 collecting journey this year, I'm eager to learn as much as I possibly can about this issue as well as N173s and Proofs. I'm going after N172 the hard (fun) way as I'm trying to acquire every card of every player and every pose and team variation. I'm not sure if there is an end in site, as Lew Lipset said that "completion is hopeless", But I'm willing to give it a shot.

In regards to the article you wrote on the Toffling, I really enjoyed it. Not only for the Old Judge connection, but also for the New England League info about Toffling. New England League info is difficult to find, to say the least. I've searched the web thoroughly for information on this league, it's teams, and players with minimal success overall. I'm going to be joining SABR as soon as possible (why I haven't already is a mystery to me)and hopefully they'll be able to guide me towards more information. I've learned a few things and picked up a handful of vintage items from this league, but information and memorabilia from the N.E. league appear to be qutie scarce. When you acquired the Toffling, you really stumbled onto a tough find. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Adam........email me as I have about 15 of the 'proofs'. I could part with 1-2 of them. I have about 5 left from the Philadelphia Athletics that would sell in the range Jay described. I generally see them in the range of about 1/2 what a nice cabinet would sell for.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: julie

I have SABR publications, VCBC , SCD and 19th centrury only...am I missing something important?

Old 07-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Jay Miller

Julie-The article was on the 19thcenturyonly web site. I haven't looked there in a while so they may have taken it down, but I would check there if I were you.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

http://www.19thcenturyonly.org/articles/September_2001_jay_miller_interesting_old_judge_fi nd.cfm

Old 07-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge proofs

Posted By: Julie

I'd read your other one--where you demonstrate that N172s were made from N173s.