NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 PM

Default PSA Debacle - What to do for a Novice Collector?

Hello everyone,

I’m a newbie to vintage. A couple of years back, I bought a ‘54 Aaron, but needed to move it for some cash later on. I’m in the market again to purchase this card, and maybe a few others. With all the trimming scandals that have come out recently, how can I avoid getting burned? It seems like even buying from someone reputable, they might not have known they owned a trimmed one. Is it safer to just buy SGC? I do really like their holders, but it seems like PSA holds their value better. I would love to hear some opinions of how I can acquire a few key cards for my collection, and feel like they are fully legit. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:36 AM
J0hn Collin$

Very long story short - yes, for the moment PSA enjoys higher resale value and a kind of oddly unaffected reputation in the market. The scandal has broken and the details are known, but the implications for all investors and collectors have not fully set in yet, and they may not ever. Folks who have safe deposit boxes full of high-end vintage cards have a lot of skin in the game, and at the end of the day have not really decided yet whether or not they are going to make PSA / CU pay the price they should over the scandal, either the complicitness or gross incompetence, and the like.

SGC is historically a more consistent grader of vintage cards, and their customer service and turn times are much better than PSA's.

If you have serious concerns about investment potential and losing value, PSA is a safe bet in the short term. If you are a collector who wants accurately graded cards, I would do business with SGC all day long. PSA is probably going to be safer for low-grade vintage right now. An Aaron rookie that is an honest-looking PSA 3 has a lot lesser chance of being altered / tampered with than a stunning 8 with white borders and razor corners that looks too good to be true.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-17-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Ben North

The PSA sells for more makes no sense to me at all. Most seem to ignore that means you are paying more for it.

SGC is more consistent at grading and they are generally cheaper to buy. That means when you sell it you are still going to get the lower SGC price. The big plus is you can own a nice card a little cheaper in a WAY nicer looking slab.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The PSA sells for more makes no sense to me at all. Most seem to ignore that means you are paying more for it.

SGC is more consistent at grading and they are generally cheaper to buy. That means when you sell it you are still going to get the lower SGC price. The big plus is you can own a nice card a little cheaper in a WAY nicer looking slab.
+1
Old 09-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:

This is all very true. I think I may look more into this, as I would rather have the nicer card
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:

I could not agree more with every single thing you said.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
J0hn Collin$

If you go over on the prewar / main board, you will find a lot of consensus with the opinion that PSA still sells for more because big picture, the vast majority of collectors and investors of their product are either woefully ill-informed on the scandal, or (worse) know and simply do not care. Big wheel collectors of high-end vintage face a very bleak proposition if they truly care about cards not being altered, or the fact that their incredible PSA 8 T206 Whatever HOF'er that is worth 5 or 6 figures on the open market may suddenly be worth DRAMATICALLY less if they tell someone they care about that fact, and start a movement to trash PSA, their market value, and the value that their slabs currently bring to cards and collections. Mainly that said market value will drop quickly, and they will be left holding the bag.

Soooo....ummmm, why not just leave well enough alone? Yes, that card may be altered now that I read all this, but you know it looks really nice in that new slab, and it's in my safe deposit box anyway, and it would be really hard to prove for sure, er - wouldn't it?

It becomes an ends justifying the means situation. Not enough people care or have any real desire to burst the bubble to come forward. So what, some waves are being made on some message boards where people really care about the hobby. This too, shall pass. I could be wrong, but I will be very surprised if in the next 6-18 months, people start coming forward en masse to demand that PSA make good on their grading guarantee for a bunch of high dollar cards in slabs with grades that they don't agree with.

It's just stuff...right?

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-18-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Thumbs up

John,

Everything you said is 100% true and the bottom line.

Well put

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-17-2019 at 07:12 PM.