NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default OLD CARDBOARD MAGAZINE

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Aaron,

11:24 a.m. and still no magazine.

I'll keep you posted, cupcake.

-Ryan

Old 10-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron

Pssst, see what I mean, guys? Shhh, here he comes! Yep, Ryan, we are just as concerned about our new issue as you! Keep up the good work!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

(cupcake? ...errrr) Hey, I have an idea - let's start a vintage baseball magazine!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

OK everyone was saying to wait until Oct 15th. Well today is the 15th of Oct and the mail has come and still no magazine. What gives? Rob

Old 10-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I get to be the killjoy and ask that we end this fascinating exchange about a magazine that hasn't arrived. No cupcakes until then.

Bill

Old 10-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Bill,

No cupcake for you!

-Ryan

P.S. Please tell Aaron it's 11:59 am and still no magazine.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dickebu01.shtml

Hes no cupcake but still a great baseball name

Old 10-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

While this thread is a tad bit amusing I would just as soon see it end. The OCM magazine folks NEVER said it will be delivered ON the 15th (but AROUND the 15th). It is impossible to judge a 2-3 week bulk service down to the last day. THE solution......Ryan- if you don't receive your copy by Sat the 16th then send me your address to leonl@flash.net and I will overnight you an extra copy I have on Monday the 18th. It was graciously given to me for being a contributor ( I still paid for my year subscription, which is well worth it, imo) This way I can guarantee you will have it by the 19th and we don't need to see this thread go back to the top anymore..I am sure Aaron will be delighted to not have you fixated on him anymore...sorry, but it would give me the creeps......(Ryan- first beer is on me at the next National). regards all

Old 10-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

You see, Ryan, your diligence has paid off! By posting and e-mailing the minute by minute delivery status of your issue, a board member has generously offered to hook you up with an extra. (I can't help but notice that I was not offered a similar freebie, but then I have not been as vocal about my displeasure as Ryan, so I guess it's my own fault.)

So what if your posts give fellow board-members the creeps and the willies and you were reduced to repeatedly e-mailing a total stranger at all hours of the day and night over the course of three days while choking on your own shame and rage-filled bile? You scored!

Old 10-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

your perspective is a bit different.

You can blame the USPS for a lot of things, but this is a pretty wide distribution date range, and I don't live in a tiny town in the West Virginia mountains.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Leon,

You must be kidding. Tell me you’re kidding. You couldn’t possibly think I’ve been posting every day out of frustration that my magazine hasn’t arrived, could you?

I made zero posts on this thread until October 12th when I simply posted how uninteresting it was to see post after post about people not getting their magazine. Especially when they weren’t supposed to get it until several days later any way.

Prior to my post, between October 1st and October 12th there were literally 29 posts that were either “still waiting in (insert state)” or “got mine today in (insert state)!”

I was waiting anxiously just like everyone else but remembered that we were told to expect it “about the middle of the first month in each calendar quarter (i.e., January 15, April 15, July 15 and October 15).” See Lyman’s post on October 5th.

Then Dan asked me a question in a post (I think he has since deleted it?) which I responded to, further explaining why I thought we should all have some patience. For those who simply couldn’t wait and needed immediate answers, I suggested they contact Lyman or Brett directly rather than post on the board about how another day had passed without their magazine arriving. It was NOT directed at any individual and was NOT a personal attack on anyone.

It would have all ended there if Aaron hadn’t decided to post his smartass comments directly at me, stating that “those who are interested in the thread will continue to post, read, and most importantly, enjoy.”

I honestly didn’t realize someone might “enjoy” reading about where someone lives and whether their magazine has arrived yet, but Aaron enlightened me and so I thought I’d bring him some enjoyment by informing him of the status of my magazine delivery.

Aaron kept the 500-word smartass posts coming, and yet I still generously informed him of my magazine status, purely for his enjoyment. His type is nothing new to the internet, or even to this board. Like a drunk 16-year old, he talks all kind of crap knowing he is protected and virtually anonymous behind a computer screen. It’s unfortunate, but this kind of cowardice is one of the inevitable by-products of a forum like this. Luckily, this is the exception, not the norm. I offered him my home phone number to call if he had anything to say to me, but did anyone really think he would actually call? Of course not.

It might have something to do with the fact that out of the two of us, only one actually collects vintage baseball cards. What would there be to talk about? Comic books? 1950’s non-sports cards? There’s nothing wrong with collecting things like this, but they have no interest to me. And since this happens to be a vintage baseball card board, I’m sure he knew the conversation wouldn’t exactly be lively.

And he should consider himself lucky if all he walks away from this with are some creepy feelings. And no, that’s not a physical threat of any kind.

I’ve gotten some laughs out of the fact that people actually think I’ve been posting because I’m angry about not receiving my magazine. My point was supposed to be how silly it is that everyone freaked out once they realized that someone else had already received the magazine, but 2 days later they still hadn’t.

Without’s Aaron’s shoulder to cry on, I just don’t know how I can go on. But I suppose there is nothing more in this thread for me, so it’s time to move on. Goodbye cruel world!

Talk all the smack you want, I won’t be reading it.

-Ryan

P.S. Tell Aaron it's 3:22 pm and still no magazine.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Dear Ryan:

I cannot explain how shocked and betrayed I feel. Here I thought you were sincere in your minute to minute interest of when your new issue of OCM arrived--posting regularly and sending me unsolicited e-mails, both at all hours of the day and night.

Now it turns out that your obsession with me and OCM's delivery status was nothing more than an angry, irrational attempt to control what posts are and are not tolerable on VBC.

Your true motivations are now bared before the entire board! I think the real issue here is not OCM and when it will arrive, but your wish to take Bill's position as the board's moderator--since you believe it is within your rights to tell people what they can and cannot post about.

A coup right here on VBC! Well, now that you've creeped your fellow posters out, scared off potential customers and humiliated yourself in public, I think it's safe to say your coup has failed miserably and Bill shall remain our forum's moderator so long as it is the free will of the people!

My rather benign suggestion to you was that if you did not like reading about whether or not people had received OCM, that you simply ignore the posts rather than chide your fellow posters for posting about something which you did not care for.

Clearly, had you been in Bill's position you would have unilaterally deleted the thread entirely--and deleted any thread or post which you did not find an interesting or acceptable topic to discus.

For shame Ryan Christoff of cubanbaseballcards.com. For shame.

And thank you Bill Cornell! At least some people around here respect free speech and the idea that not all people are going to be interested in the same things all the time.

Yours truly,
Aaron

PS, yes it's true thanks to you I do have your phone number. I promise to use it as responsibly as you used my e-mail address.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

the performance of the USPS has been a GREAT disapointment to them, and those of us who get the magazine AFTER 10/15 should please report to them when it arrives. But come on--after waiting MONTHS for VCBC, this is like, NOTHING!

Old 10-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

even those who don't agree with you.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

?

Old 10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I just wanted to say how I enjoyed the article about Jefferson Burdick. It helped to get some background about this man. There was a previous thread about someone going to a musuem in NY to see his collection, I had no idea who he was and now I do with some nice background to vintage publications. That was a great article to put in the first issue!!!!!

Old 10-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i've been trying to get on to order. have had no luck? anyone else try lately?

Old 10-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Haven't received the mag. yet, so don't know what was written about Jeff Burdick. For more info on him, you might check out the Old Baseball Cards web site. Goto http://www.oldbaseball.com/, click on "The Library" button on the left, then scroll down to the Burdick articles.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shoo

Maybe im just a lucky person but I ordered mine about a week and half ago and got it in 4 days, great magazine I love it.Cant wait for the next and cheer up everyone who hasnt received theres Im sure its on its way. And Id like to thank Bill C for the forum by far the best out there too bad lately there has been a lot bashing of fellow members, just remember lifes to short to get all bent out of shape. If you you have something to say, say it and be done with it. The constant back and forth bickering like a couple of young girls arguing over a boy is childish and im assuming everyone here is an adult so lets act like it. Go Astros!

Old 10-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Would someone be so kind as to scan my ad and email it to me so that I know what the heck I advertised when people call? Thanks r337man@yahoo.com.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I don't have my copy with me, but I remember you were selling George C. Millers at $75 each in Ex condition, $125 for the HOFers. Personally, I thought that was a little cheap, but hey, who am I to challenge your business motivations. Please consider this my order for the Foxx, Frisch, Grove, Ott and Terry.

Oh, and nice touch where you say you will personally deliver and sing "You are the wings beneath my feet" to anyone who places an
order over $500.00. Even though my order exceeds the $500, I think I'll pass on the Music-gram, although I'm sure it will serve as an enticement to others.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Don't pass on the music, you haven't heard me sing yet. George C Miller? Who did he play for?

Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Administrator

...do the publishers decide that there has been a delivery problem, and send out issues to subscribers who didn't receive them?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Administrator

OK, this is now getting ridiculous today is the nineteenth and still I have no magazine. How can it be someone in Holland could get their magazine on Oct, 1 2004 and me, I live in the United States of America and still nothing? I think we have a problem here. Robert
Old 10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Administrator

The magazines were sent - the gripe is with the whimsical USPS, not with the publishers.

Bill

Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

so the answer is "they were sent, we've done our job, go away please" ?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Well we will not go away. Rob

Old 10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I spoke to the publisher yesterday. He is very dismayed at the shipping time and assures me they were all sent with a few extra days to spare (late Sept.) There is no way they thought it would take this long. As Bill said it certainly IS the USPS. More to follow on this topic but it's not really my place to say it.........It's a nice mag when it finally arrives. regards all

Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

That is easy for you to say Leon, you have yours.
But.....I received my ad! Thanks to Lee for emailing me a scan of my ad.
Lyman and Brett, Looks like a typo in front of the Eclipse Import line, you have 1933 twice. Dan.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Could there be a conspiracy at the USPS headquarters to ruin all vintage baseball card magazines that come out.Between their slow shipping and vcbc theres something fishy going on.Boys,i think we've stumbled onto something here.......

p.s. I havent got my copy of old cardboard yet and if this keeps up im going to have to buy a subscription to it.I dont know what else to do

Old 10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Well we will not go away.

I'm sure you won't. But posting here isn't going to make the magazine show up any sooner. If you're that angry about it, contact the Hardemans.

Bill

Old 10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

I received mine last night!!! I was very satisfied with the product and am looking forward to the next issue already!

CB

Old 10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

We are all aware that the USPS isn't perfect, but if I'm selling a product and my delivery mechanism fails, I have to decide how I want to address the problem - ignoring it is certainly an option, but not conducive to further sales, regardless of whose fault it is.

Also, as a subscriber who hasn't yet received my copy, when others did two weeks ago...or more, I can't assume that mine was ever mailed - there could actually be an order-processing problem. No way of telling. I did contact the Hardemans, and they DID mail it. I agree with Bill that everyone who has concerns with their delivery should contact them.

Regarding the USPS, I have only had minor problems with their delivery over the years - I hear a lot of griping about them, but my luck with UPS, Airborne Express and Fedex has been far poorer. It's probably a regional thing, but UPS is incredibly unreliable (though very customer-friendly) about delivery schedules, and Fedex "home delivery" goes straight to my apartment office without even signing in the packages - same for Airborne.

What generally happens when I complain to a seller that I haven't received my item: they blame it on USPS, then it magically shows up in 2-3 days.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Administrator

When people blame the USPS for slow shipping on ebay stuff,whether its payment or receiving the item i usually check the postmark.Most of the time people are telling the truth with the occasional time the postmark will be 2 days prior to you receiving it,then you usually know somethings not right with their story.

Ive had plenty of times where a card will take way too long and when you get it you find out it was mailed 8-10 days prior.

Of course if you know the right people,changing the postmark isnt a problem.Why just this week i was supposed to mail Kevin C a check and im waiting till friday to do it,but sure enough when he gets it,it will say i mailed it out monday morning like i told him

Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

I don't remember where i went to subscribe to the mag in the first place, so if someone could tell me how to contact the Hardemans, I'll do it.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Administrator

there is a link at the top of this board that goes to their website.....or you can just click on this

http://www.oldcardboard.com

regards

Old 10-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Well I have contacted them and they said I should receive it with in this week.  How do they know that? Rob

Hi Robert.  Thanks for your email.  The magazine is on the way and you should get within the next week for sure.  We are finding that USPS media mail is very irregular to say the least.  Please let us know when you receive it.  More information on delivery schedules can be found at http://www.oldcardboard.com/subscriptions.asp.  We appreciate your patience and your support. 

Lyman Hardeman, Editor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 6:16 PM
To: editor@oldcardboard.com
Subject: Magazine

Can you tell me when I can expect my copy of the magazine? I pre ordered it about two months ago and I see on the forum people in Holland have received it but me in New York have not. Robert Balke {Bigb13}
Old 10-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

so you can simply click on that and an e-mail form will appear.

No, nothing yet...

Old 10-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

got mine today

Old 10-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Administrator

I want to start a raffle, last person to get theirs wins, all people still missing theirs kicks in $1.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Old 10-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I'm in for a buck. I am in NY, and will probably get it last. On second thought make it 2 bucks. Rob
Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

I'm in....... I bet I get mine last in North Carolina.

Send the money Brian

Old 10-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Got my 2nd mailed, 1st class copy yesterday. Thanks guys. My ad looks great! Nice job. Dan.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the tip, Dan. (Oh. I haven't gotten the first one yet--just my luck, it will come today...)

Old 10-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

They are concerned over the USPS performance, especially given that they would of course like to make a good first impression with the initial issue. So I will shut up and send them an email on the 31st if I still don't have my copy.

Meanwhile, if any of you have a duplicate copy I would be happy to trade you a VCBC back-issue (I have dups of #37).

Old 10-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Bet the other got stolen...

Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

I still have not received mine yet. I emailed them to day and they tell me to let them know when it comes. Can you believe this where is NY on the other side of the universe. I ashed if they can mail me one first class so I can get to read it and have not heard  back yet. Rob

Old 10-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I got mine 3 weeks ago. Just thought I'd pipe in in case anyone was doing a geographical survey of distribution

Old 10-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Maybe a week ago. I guess they are comping some likely subscribers?? I guess I'll be a subscriber shortly.

Don't know if this is related but my SCD which usually gets here about Wednesday or Thursday has been coming on Saturday for the last few weeks. There IS a grand conspiracy against card mags, I just know it.