NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: marshall barkman

Are you kidding me with the amount of NOISE that Drent is BRINGING with this auction? There are some very sick cards in this auction. It's great to finally look at a auction that is about high grades and not some boring blah blah PSA 4's and 5's. The question is can he top 2.8 million?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Matt

3 E90 Joe Jaxs and a gorgeous E107 Young. It's so loud I can hardly hear.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: peter ullman

high grade...condition "rarity" cards=lots of zzzzzz's...snooze time...quiet time...not much noize here...although the e107 young is set to 11.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I mean the sound is deafening. I think Shoeless is at 13,000 already.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: leon

While some folks collect high grade others don't. Since you don't collect you probably wouldn't understand. I think all collecting is great. I prefer true rarity over condition rarity but whatever folks enjoy is great. regards

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I understand all aspects of collecting Leon because i deal with collectors 24/7. The emotional aspects in completing a set of low end cards or going after a super high grade card can be draining. I have to say pound for pound Drent is the best in the business and the dude just somehow comes up with the sickest cards. I know it is not pre-war but the 1971 PSA gem mint 10 Banks is just unreal. I'm bidding away on a bunch of cards so wish me luck.

Also i do agree that with you in regards to how rare a card is. It starts to get fun when you have the finest example of condition along with how rare it is.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: barrysloate

I clicked on the link for Mile High Cards and I got a jewelry site. Did this happen to anyone else?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I bid in Brian's auctions too. Good luck with whatever you go for. I am pretty sure we won't be bidding against each other. regards

Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: peter ullman

barry...this happened to me at first...then I googled mile high and it worked appropriately...odd?!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

So there is something wrong with the link.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Barry....i had no problems with the link sent to me.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

MHCC and Memory Lane have really improved their prewar offerings in both quantity and quality, I suspect to the detriment of Mastro. REA's upcoming auction, however, will probably include all of those great cards Mastro's premier auctions used to have (along with its own traditionally incredible collection of cards).

Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Won't Mastro have a major auction in April?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Phil Garry

As others have already stated, a nice group of high-end vintage baseball cards, nothing that I am interested in but something for almost everyone else I am sure.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Presumably but based on their past few auctions it would appear that both quantity and quality seem to have taken a hit -- and the cards have to go somewhere.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

The February Collector Auction was smaller and seemed to not be of the quality of previous ones. I'll be curious to see how the April one looks.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Lichtman....did you see the Chase 8.5?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Yes...I've got an 8 already so I'm good on that one. I'd be happy to find a 7 Holding Tropy or Pink Portrait! Not to be in this auction, however.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Ok well we will not be battling over the card. I have a number in mind so we shall see. Good luck in the auction if you bid on anything.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jamie

Guys,

I follow Marshall's approach (I like Leon's approach as well, but am not knowledgeable enough to know what that "truly rare" stuff is worth, haha). So I collect/invest in mainly low-pop, high-grade commons.

I'm thinking of bidding in the Mile High auction, but am trying to calibrate what the cards are worth. Do you have any idea what percent prices have dropped on low-pop, high grade commons since their highs in late 2007?

(please, no "what's it worth to you?" type answers - this is an entirely empirical question).

Thanks,

Jamie

Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jim VB

17.372%

(Give or take.)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Jamie...i think it depends on the card and also the set builders chasing it. Every day the hobby has a person deciding to start another set or their first one. For example i recieved a call from a man who just won the lottery on a scratch off for 150,000 and he has decided to put together the 1958 Topps set in PSA 7 to 10 condition because it was the year he was born. He would not even be on most dealers radar screen so if a low pop common came online he would join the fight for the card with set builders.

My personal opinion is that it's a great buying time. I invested in gold when the country was at the top of a bull market several years ago, most of my friends thought i was crazy, when it went to 1000 in Jan of 08 the party started. My advice is to buy what you can afford because baseball cards are like 36DD's guys just love to stare at em.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall is correct that the value of low pop cards in any set is based solely on who needs them. It's not "what are they worth" but rather "who will be bidding." As such the market is very difficult to predict.

And of course I have to ask the obvious question: Why did the guy who won the 150K lottery call you?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Rob D.

Oh, this should be good.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Jim VB

"Why did the guy who won the 150K lottery call you?"

Just guessing here...

Marshall knows where the 36DD's are buried?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Barry...you guys just crack me up. I own alot of cards period so i'll leave it at that. I have already stated that last year there was like three or four guys on here that claimed i was bogus and had no cards, Wonka was calling me newbie and other board memebers kept saying i was like other folks that came on here that come and go because they talk smackabout cards they own. I then posted that i have some of the finest Southern Leaguers and other tobacco cards and the majority of you guys said no way, board members were calling me liar and so on. No one took any of my wagers because really the majority of you guys are just nothing but gas and BRING 0 NOISE so the cards went to Milehigh and blew out for ahhhh 37,000. To take it one step further Leon even called Drent to validate my story which i thought was hilarious and whoaaaaaaaa low and behold everything i said was true and the cards belonged to me. Now isn't that amazing?

Just because i do not set up at card shows and plaster my face in baseball card mags does not mean anything. I'm involved in alot of card deals that are underground and that is the way i like it. Most folks would never have the balls to travel into places i have gone to buy old tobacco or pre 1960 cards. You see when you pull down a dark country road where the cell does not work and the man on the front porch has a shotgun beside him that is when you know the fun starts. I'll steal one of Lichtman's lines- I like to live dangerously.

Are we having fun yet?

In regards to JimVB, dude you are a goofball period and if you had any stones you would have took a few of my wagers but i knew you were just all talk and no play. The uhhhh nickel poker table is down the hall first door to your light.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Was that the answer to the question of why the guy called you? It was hard to tell.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

To be completely accurate Brian called me, I didn't call him. He did tell me you had the cards though.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I do believe you Marshall, and I know you buy and sell baseball cards. But some of your stories and anecdotes are quite funny and on occasion stretch the imagination.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Sorry Leon but i thought you called him. Makes no sense to me why Drent would bring me up in a conversation but it's not a big deal.

Barry i get calls all the time in regards to cards. What i have to ask you is why when i post something do you constantly question it? It really is not odd that a man wins a lottery. One thing to realize is that alot of card and antique dealers have horrible reputations so most people do not pick up a Beckett or go online to sell or find cards. The guy who won the lottery knows me from a flea market i go to search for treasures, it is that flea market where i found and bought the board full of 1944 Gum Inc American Beauties.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Barry...i hope you know that when i say things i mean no harm to you. Computers cannot express tone of voice so half the time i'm laughing at things you say.

In regards to the man that won the lottery he is just one lucky bastard. He was so happy that one would have thought he hit for like 10 million or something.

Also not that it matters but today i bought around 500 old tobacco cards that have like English actors and old cowboys and stuff. Some of them are wild as hell and who knows how the stuff falls into my lap but it does. One of the reasons people call me is because i have been known to buy and sell killer items without screwing people over.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Rob D.

dude you are a goofball ...

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Back at ya cuz Mr.Goof meet Mr.Ball

Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall, I take no offense. But you left out of your story that you already knew the guy. It sounded more like some stranger out there won 150K and then called you out of the clear blue. Like I've said before, you do have a life chock full of adventure.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Sorry Barry my bad for leaving that out. It is not like i am friends with any of these folks but in the antique or card world somehow my number is given to alot of folks.

Here is something i looked at today. A gal called me in regards to a friend of hers that had a painting. She said i think the artists name is John Singer Sargent. I was like hmmmm i doubt it. I then went and yep it was a John Singer Sargent. Very cool piece to. Now comes the tough part because Elizabeth at Addison Galleries is the only true Sargent expert in the world and she is super tough to deal with. Onward Dasher on Blitzen.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Al Simeone

Marshall,

Love the read babe!! Cracks me up with all your great metaphors! Got that Lichtman!!!
You take the edge off some rather dull reading at times!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

I think Lichtman is a cool cat and he cracks me up with the things he says.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Thanks Marshall and Barry. Barry, I suppose you're right, who is bidding is the most vital, and as such, when I sell I really have to do it through one of these auction houses and not ebay, even if the auction houses take a cut. Just have to make sure you have the big-time collectors in play.

As for Drent, I know that he had zero percent consigning fee, so I'm sure that helped a lot. I almost consigned a couple cards, (70's HOF PSA 9's), but chose not just because of economic fear.

Yes, things are crashing now, but they could get worse - some think a lot worse, like DOW 3,500. I just wonder what will be going on auction then!

All in all, in spite of Bruce Dorskind's strange language at times, I totally agree with "their" approach to buying cards. I'm just not as knowledgeable and stick to the mainstream sets like T206 or 59' Topps.

Any idea what a T206 PSA 9 common would go for these days? 5-7k, perhaps? I saw those 9's of HOFers go for 48k a piece. Incredible!!!

And to Marshall, impressive move on the gold. I just bought some, actually. People are saying it could go to $2000-3000. Who knows? Hope I'm not wrong about that one...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall, thanks! Al, I'll try harder!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

PS--I happen to think the Mile High selection is really great. While not containing rarity even remotely on the level of REA, the auction has high grade versions of a hell of a lot of prewar classic cards -- cards that I have not seen in such a grade at auction in a very long time.

One surprise: I received the catalogue today and the printing/scans are awful. Color issues, page background showing through the picutres of the cards, etc. Doesn't Joe D advertise in the greater-Denver area?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Jamie....gold will go back and forth for a little while. Do not fear if it dips below 800 one more time. Gold is going to skyrocket when the paper trail comes crashing down just like wall street and believe me it will. I have my seat belt buckled for the rocket moves it is going to have in the next few years. Also buy bulk silver in 10 ounce bars. I think silver is going to roll also and it is a steal right now. The dollar is going to grow weaker and with as many of them being made who knows what they will be worth 5 years from now.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Al Simeone

Jeff,
Thanks makes me feel better that you will try harder! And one thing is for certain I know you wont let me down!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Jeff...i think Drent might have used another catalogue guy this time because his main man was swamped. I'm only speculating but the last catalogue was awesome. I love some of the cards in the auction but i know there is going to be major fireworks before it is all said and done. Did someone say economic crisis? Everything is crashing? My guess the numbers these cards will bring will raise a few eyebrows, i hope the cards i'm bidding on don't blowout. I may have to go to the whip to get a few of them home down the stretch (-:

Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall,

Thanks for the reassurance! That's what I believe, too. Our economy is toast, man, toast! Commodities like cards and gold are where it's at. I recently realized that the two really complement each other economically - when times are good, card prices soar - and when bad, gold soars. I think you got to own both.

If gold goes below 800, I really have to buy more. At least that's my plan... just hope that you're in physical bullion and not an ETF or dealer "pool" - I read that in the early 80's when gold dropped, people tried to sell and some of those dealers didn't actually have the gold.

edit - i note that you are in bullion from your silver comment.

I'm kinda reluctant to buy cards until the stock market has gone fully into the toilet, so that's why I was asking those questions earlier.

Jamie

Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall,

Where would one go about buying the silver bars? I get a really high premium at APMEX.

Jamie

Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

The Baltimore coin show is this weekend and there will be dealers from all over selling. If you do not live close to Baltimore e-mail me and i can help you out because i'm heading to the show to buy more silver. I only buy bullion when it comes to silver and gold, i would not give a nickel for paper certs.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Marshall,

Thanks, I'm going to pass you up on your really kind offer, not because I don't trust you, but just because I don't know you. But I have been doing some research on silver. Holy %&*@, you are SO RIGHT ABOUT SILVER. It is going to the moon.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Jamie

P.S. Also think I'm going to buy some shares of silver mining companies.

For people's reference and my rationale:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB123396545910358867.html?mod=djemWR&page=sp
http://www.kitco.com/ind/Turk/turk_feb232009.html

Read both!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Jamie...no problem. I already know about the information you provided.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Thanks Marshall, I'm sure you do, I just posted it for everyone else to take a look...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Milehigh Auction

Posted By: Bob

In the words of Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend..." Go easy on cornering the silver market. The last guys who tried that got their asses kicked (Hunts).