NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Christmas gifts to yourself

Posted By: Judge Dred

I don't know about the rest of you out there but I'm not big on receiving gifts for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't care about gifts it's because regardless of what you put on a Christmas list, most people wouldn't understand it:

N162 Kelly
N172 Anson
N300 Delehanty
4BH Kelly (Leon, do you feel like Santa?)
etc

However, I understand it and I usually try to buy one thing on my list or something that would make me happy -

Has anyone purchased anything for themselves for Christmas this year? You see, I wont tell anyone at home about my personal gift purchase because they just wouldn't understand. Baseball card collectors are very often misunderstood people when we are speaking in tongues (N29, E94, T222, D304).

Old 12-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

GAI 2.5 E92 Croft's Candy Cobb from R.B. Craik - Thanks R.B.!
and a PSA 5 E93 Cy Young

Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

I bought a couple 33 Goudey commons to add to my set. Happy day!

Old 12-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I always do that,i went a little overboard this year but even in prior years ive done it.Last year i bought a T206 Cy Young.I think i deserve it for putting up with me all year.

This year i almost spent all of everyone elses gift money and i wouldve had to go into hiding till they got worried about me [right around the time they noticed the desserts werent moving fast enough on christmas day is about when they would get worried]

by the way,no one told me,when is the VBC forum christmas party,my invite mustve got lost

Old 12-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

...toward replacing my stolen m101s. Several dozen were stolen, in fact, all but 2. So I treated myself this week to 17, that's right 17 different m101-4s, all in PSA 7. These are all commons, and my HOFers plus all my different backs are still gone (except the Ware's and Standard Biscuit that were recovered by the cops and a couple of Indy Brews that arrived a day or two after the burglary), STILL, its nice to land nearly 10% of the set in one fell swoop. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, and to all of you too

Todd

Old 12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Great Topic -

When my wife asked what she could get me for Christmas and I said bb cards, she looked at me and said "yeah right." So I did what any self respecting collector would do and bought myself a couple of cards from my wish list (which also happen to be my first two cobbs) - a T206 Red Portrait (GAI 3.5) and a T206 Bat On (GAI 2).

Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

My girlfriend is buying me cards for Christmas and Josh K. is even consulting her. However, her budget is maybe $100.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

a John Coltrane cd box set - The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! Stuido Recordings. Not vintage card related I know, but I can't afford to buy a Ruth right now, and that's the card at the top of my list (almost any issue except some of the uglier strip card issues like W512 or W521).

Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

and keep a few prime cards for myself - this year is no exception.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

Josh, can you consult my girlfriend on what to get me for christmas?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Josh can you find me a girlfriend then train her to buy the right cards for me

Old 12-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

Josh,
I don't need a girlfriend but could you loan me yours for a few just so she can buy a few cards for me as well. My wife is not the card person to say the least

Old 12-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

My family isn't Christian, but we have always exchanged Christmas presents and had a special Christmas dinner. (Duly note that December 25th as a holiday was adopted rather than invented by the Christians, with Jesus more than likely born on a different day).

I was born and raised in Wisconsin and, on Christmas night, my family would cross country ski in the back yard. The closest I'll get to that in Seattle is walking in the rain in the alley behind my condo. Considering the City of Seattle owns about one snow plow, I'm not hoping for the gift of eight inches of snow. I'll be happy with the Packers beating the Vikings.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

No, not a dream age; but rather a book written by John Shiffert, who writes a well researched on-line column in which he either discusses a current baseball event and shows comparisions to the past or just an historical topic. Since his column is not that well known, I got on the mailer for the company that published his book and picked one up.

I also picked up a signed copy of Jamey Newberg's annual Texas Ranger report. Having picked up the previous five years earlier this year, it was nice to get volume 6 before the next year.

I can't think of any cards, vintage or new, that I'd really want to get myself, however, I would not mind getting a Janis Joplin dress swatch from the 2001 Topps American Pie set. Pearl was among the very first albums I ever bought and I think it would be neat to have a rememberence in a strange way of a childhood memory

Regards
Rich

Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Robert,

Sure (but she has to buy me a card as well - call it a commission).

John,

That may be tough.

Brian,

Sorry, as much as I like to help out other members, my wife only buys for me.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick Martinez

I haven't been a very good boy this year, so I will recieve just a bit.
The feature gift in the "TO: Me From: Me" gift section is a cool Armando Marsans Photograph:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50129&item=5148047590&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I am looking forward to receiving it!

Saint Nick!

Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I CAN'T WAIT TO TELL EVERYBODY WHAT I GOT MYSELF FOR CHRISTMAS, but I have to...YURG!

No, nobody wants to buy me cards for Christmas...my husband bought me some peachy earrings: (I can't get the top stone, an amathest, to scan lavender; otherwise, they look like that, but smaller...

Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Opera tickets for me and the future Mrs.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

Not as nice as my John Coltrane box set, but still nice

I got my wife some jewelry too among other odds and ends like the third Lord of the Rings movie 4-cd deluxe edition, etc - i just love all the extra material they add in not in the theatrical release.

My wife is completely computer illiterate, so asking her to get me vintage cards would be like asking her to go rebuild her car engine (i.e. - nah gannah happen).

Old 12-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I took my wife to the Broadway show "WICKED" ... thinking that she would love it and I would hate it...

but I really loved it as much as she did!

Highly recommended.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I never paid them much mind, but I picked up a 32' sanella set for a song. After the babe ruth/cobb exhibition I needed to have a ruth...albeit a cheap ugly one! I also bought myself a bunch of pottery! Happy holidays and merry new year.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

I couldn't afford to buy myself anything this year (our tenth anniversary was just last week--bling bling), so I traded a few items for three bats I've had my eye on. I came home today with an 1880s double ring bat, an 1880s maple bat turned by a furniture maker in Hanover, NH, and a 1900s mushroom bat. When my wife asked why I came home with three instead of my intended two, I replied "the Magi, Honey. The Magi." Tis the season.