NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Autographed cards

Posted By: Jim Ed 14

I am fairly new to this racket. I would appreciate it
if one of the many knowledgeable VBC members could explain
to me the value added by having a player's card personally
autographed as opposed to the autograph being part of the
original printed card. I think some people's thinking is
that the origianl card is altered if signed in person by
the player. Others, I'm sure, see it as making the card
a rarer species and, thus, more desirable. What is the
basic collective thinking on this subject? I am specifically
addressing this to cards printed in the late 40's, 50's and
60's. EX: is a Topps 1960 Mantle PSA 8 more/less valuable than
a Topps 1960 Mantle with Mickey's authenticated autograph on the
face of the card? Many thanks.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For an average grade card (Good to Ex), an autographed card will usually be worth more than the unsigned card-- that's whether the player is Mickey Mantle or Don Aase. For the autographed card, the value is dependant on both the value of card and the rarity/popularity of the signature.

You often have a different audience (with overlap) bidding on one or the other. An autograph collector may not be an autograph collector, but will bid on a 60T Mantle if it's autographed. A 1960 Topps collector may only be looking for an unsigned Mantle card. It's the card-only collectors who focus on the Mint 9 and Gem Mint 10 stuff. To the autograph collector, it may make no difference whether the card grades a 5 or 6 ... The two types of collectors will often use different critereon for judging the quality and value of the card.

For the card collector looking at a signed card, he should consider the value and rarity of the signature-- including how it relates to the value of the naked card. A Ted Williams signature can raise the value of a 2 cent reprint to $150. On the other hand, adding a $5 2005 Bob Feller signature to a Gem Mint 10 1938 Goudey RC might not be a good idea.

I do deal with autographs, including autographed card, and can tell you that an autographed 1960 Topps Mantle would be popular on the market. However, I don't follow or have interest in the prices for grade 8,9,10 cards, so can't compare the value to a plain PSA 8 card.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Dramatically narrow the audience for the card. Some folks (like me) collect autographed cards from favorite sets as a side line to the set itself. We would pay a premium for a vintage tough autograph. Most buyers of high end cards do not do so and if you are talking about a high grade card, you kill it with the autograph except for a very few collectors who would want the card signed. That said, where the new "product" of slabbing and grading autographed cards will take this is anyone's guess. I suspect that some collectors will accept high grade slabbed cards with authenticated autographs.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Many thanks for your excellent insight.

John

Old 10-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Anybody else got any pre-war autographed cards?

Old 10-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Here are one pre-WW1 and two pre-WW2. Have posted the Wood and the Gehrig before. Won the Dean in the recent Huggins & Scott auction. These are not high-grade cards by themselves but they are favorite cards of each ballplayer and each is enhanced immeasurably, for me at least, by the signatures. Especially love the Gehrig. The sense of connection across 64 years (and a few millimetres of plastic) to a God of Baseball is intense.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Assume the Gehrig cost you a penny or two.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

"Assume the Gehrig cost you a penny or two."
Cost many pennies and, to me, worth every one. I paid what I had to pay. The card is beautiful. I don't mind telling you guys what it cost but I am under the impression that it would be a breach of forum etiquette for me to say so.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris bland