NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default Wantlists - How did yours start

Posted By: AndyH

I’ve been collecting for roughly ten years now, off and on in the beginning, with much more passion the past 5 years or so. I don’t have the resources to really accumulate quantity or quality, so my collection (which I love btw) is filled with a good mixture of typecards and the beginnings of a few sets. Because of this, I have never really had the need to sit down and put together a real wantlist. I have been thinking about finally putting one together and, frankly, I am stumped as to what to put on it

My question to you all is: How did you put your first wantlist together? What did you put on it? Did you put everything you wanted regardless of the reality of whether you could actually afford it or not? Did you really list every card from a set that you only had a few of, or did you wait until you were really getting closer to legitimately saying you were putting the set together? Do you have more than one list, a “master” list and then an “active” list?

Thanks for any help and I’m really looking forward to hearing about your lists.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

always a living document.
My only recommendation on sucha personal topic is to make it as realistic as possible. Otherwise you just create frustration and never will gain any sense of satisfaction from your purchased additions!

For instance, mine does not include many of the top tier HOFer cards you regularly see on the New Pickups threads of this very board, much less the truly rare items like the current headliners of the REA auction...but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want them!

Generally, I think wantlists are great for helping to focus a collector, and make decisions on relative priorities...My wantlist is long, filled with modest cards, but certainly has several chapters for the various subset interests I have...

not sure if this answers your question, but I would be interested to hear how others manage a wantlist...

Old 04-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My wantlist has always been very easy. I just want one of each....including different backs and colors.....That's not too much to ask for, is it?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Here is how I look at a want list:

It gets pretty discouraging to look forward to completing the monster when you are about four-hundred cards (as I am) shy of reaching the prize. Especially, when you are a little picky about condition, as I am, and you have a limited amount of funds to work with. So, collecting the complete set of T206s remains a long-term goal. What keeps me moving along on this journey is making a list of cards that I hope to acquire within the next six-months--my "Want List."

For example, currently on my want-list is the Hal Chase (holding trophy) card. Why? because I have the other four Chase cards in the set and it would be an accomplishment to have all five. I'm also short, a Chance and Tinker card in completing the Cubs infield (I have Evers and Zimmerman) so I would like to pick the other two up sometime within the next six months.

In addition, I sometimes place cards on my list by grade and price. For example: I would like to add ten T-206 SGC commons graded 40-60 within the next six months. Or I would like to buy one large lot of T-206 ungraded commons by September.

Sometimes, good deals come along and you have to be flexible, but its funny how many times I still end up getting the card on my list, even though I've added a bunch that were not. I've made up these lists for the last few years and they have helped me build my collection slow, but steadily. Three to four years ago I didn't have any cards, now I have seven complete sets of Topps from the seventies. 130 T206 cards and I'm only twelve cards shy of completing my 1961 Topps set in EX-NM condition.

A "Want List" works for me because I enjoy each small step on the way to my bigger goal.

Best wishes and enjoy your collection.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AndyH

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I think at least two lists is the way to go. One that really contains almost all the cards that I really want to own someday. And a second list that is more focused on what I can realistically add to my collection at this time. Always updating the second list and trying to keep to it.

What about some more experiences with wantlists guys?

Thanks,

Andy