NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Killing animals for sport

Sorry if anyone disagrees but killing animals for sport is hideous.
But the trophy hunter and the matador are treated as heroes.

1giraffe2.jpg

1bullfighting1.jpg
Old 06-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Ben North

I also hate the idea but will fight for the right of those that do it. Just because we don't agree with something does't always make it wrong. Those type of hunts(giraffe) have been proven to help the area in many different ways.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Personally, I would not do it but thats the beauty of living in a free country.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Personally, I would not do it but thats the beauty of living in a free country.
Shooting giraffe's in Africa?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:57 PM
Dave

I don't know any trophy hunter treated as a hero outside of their own circles. At least the matador is risking injury to himself, even if I think it's mostly a silly and unnecessary sport.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Big Challenges...I'm so impressed.

Scum-Bags!

I hope each and every one of them experiences a great deal of suffering before they're gone...KARMA!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Shooting giraffe's in Africa?
Lol didn't even cross my mind.

Like I said not for me but I love a good steak and my leather jacket so I would be a pretty big hypocrite if I objected.

Last edited by Jim65; 06-29-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Ben North

Maybe some people should look up the whole story on that giraffe hunt.

This is copied from a BBC article and is true of many places.
This "consumptive utilisation of wildlife" model ("it pays it stays") also works well in some other regions. The Bubye Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe for example has more than 400 lions and one of the most important populations of rhino still in existence.

The Conservancy is funded entirely by hunting and, according to the reserve manager Blondie Leathem, a ban would be "devastating".
Old 06-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Evan

People who don’t know anything about wildlife conservation and hunting and how they go together, are usually the people who cry about killing animals.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
People who don’t know anything about wildlife conservation and hunting and how they go together, are usually the people who cry about killing animals.
and eat hamburgers.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Sometimes animals that are shot don't die quickly. Some are only wounded and die in agony. And I despise the poachers who kill elephants purely for the ivory.

That said, last night my wife and I split a cheeseburger, and in the last couple of weeks I've had a lobster roll, flank steak, and eaten chicken four or five times. So am I any better than the people I despise? Probably not.

Life is complicated and full of contradictions. I get it. I'm a flawed human being.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

It is the purpose of killing. Food/Pleasure. Please don't unite the two.

Pulling a trigger and watching a great animal bleed to death in pain for personal pleasure so as one can place his/her foot on it for a heroic photo shoot. Make handbags out it - perhaps cutting head off to hang in their home. That's a Sport?

Torture a bull by spearing it, then as it's bleeding, drive a sword-blade through its brain for the pleasure of watching. Cheer the swordsman.

Nothing to do with hamburgers.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:46 AM
Scott Russell

Yeah many of the organized hunts in Africa are a good thing, for wildlife and economies. I do have a problem with hunting endangered species for any reason. Giraffes are currently listed as vulnerable and like many things in life I'm not sure where you draw the line.

I do have a problem with hunting any creature, let alone a non-aggressive creature, with a high powered rifle and acting like you've achieved something great when you kill it, but that's personal preference and not something that should be mistaken for law.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-30-2019, 06:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
It is the purpose of killing. Food/Pleasure. Please don't unite the two.

Pulling a trigger and watching a great animal bleed to death in pain for personal pleasure so as one can place his/her foot on it for a heroic photo shoot. Make handbags out it - perhaps cutting head off to hang in their home. That's a Sport?

Torture a bull by spearing it, then as it's bleeding, drive a sword-blade through its brain for the pleasure of watching. Cheer the swordsman.

Nothing to do with hamburgers.
So you have never hunted or fished with friends/family?

No matter what, think about this. We as older men pay money, sometimes a lot of it to buy pictures of younger athletic men in uniforms. Let that sink in, then bash other peoples hobbies/sports.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can't stand bullfighting. The matadors should all be shot in the head if you ask me. Period. And the people cheering them on should all be in jail.
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down. That said, I do eat meat so am a hypocrite in that sense. Maybe those shooting these animals should have the same thing done to them and see how they like it?

And back to the bullfighting for a second. How does any human take joy in seeing a matador slowly kill a bull and show all of that pain and misery. It is no wonder other cultures are the way they are towards dogs and other animals. Absolutely despicable if you ask me. It is outrageous. Actually, it would be nice if all of the matadors were impaled with a sword through their abdomen so everyone can watch them die a slow and painful death, just like they do to the bulls. Then we can see how well that goes over for the crowds. My guess, they would still be cheering as they are freaking low mentality idiots.

Last edited by Leon; 06-30-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
Yes.

Here in Minnesota we have tens of thousands of cute deer with their cute Bambi babies, and when the DNR decides that there are too many that are eating crops and getting hit by cars, they encourage hunters to go into the woods and farms and thin the herd. Not because they hate the animals, and not because they enjoy inflicting death and misery.

I would never hunt. I wouldn't even shoot a squirrel. But when I see what happens when human lives are lost in automobile-deer accidents, I am glad there are people who do keep the deer population manageable.

I've hit several deer myself over the years. They are really stupid animals. You can be driving towards them, they are along the side of the road looking right at you, and at the last moment they will run in front of you. In fact the last deer I hit actually hit me - it ran into the front driver side tire well, causing damage to the car and probably leaving the deer with damage too.

I could never be a hunter but I am glad some can.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Deer can be a really bad problem. There is an infestation of them on Eastern Long Island, and countless times I would be driving early in the morning and see one or two dead ones on the side of the road. They are very dangerous to motorists, no doubt.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Professional marksman are hired to thin the population of herds are absolutely necessary. I believe, most times the animals are slaughtered and used in State intuitions. Again, this is not done as SPORT - for the pleasure of killing, for trophies, taxidermy, or other personal rewards.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:42 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
Professional marksman are hired to thin the population of herds are absolutely necessary. I believe, most times the animals are slaughtered and used in State intuitions. Again, this is not done as SPORT - for the pleasure of killing, for trophies, taxidermy, or other personal rewards.
The purpose, at a high level, is to conduct a hunt for a beneficial purpose.

But a lot of the hunters ARE out there purely for sport. Some will cut it open, roll up their sleeves and put their hands and arms into the bloody, dead animal, pull out the entrails, heart, kidneys, whatever else they don't want, and drag the rest of the carcass back to their truck and home to process. That, I think, is certainly justifiable but there is no way I could imagine doing it.

But many deer hunters do just kill for sport, cut the heads off to mount on their walls as a trophy so they can point at it and say, "I killed that," with pride in their voice.

So how is that different from a controlled hunt at an African preserve? At a high level a decision is made that they have a few more giraffe, or elephants, than optimal, so they sell some hunters a license to shoot one, which makes thousands of dollars for the preserve to care for the other animals?

I doubt those hunters are doing so for elephant meat. Look, I could never do it, and I think it doubtful that I'd have much in common with someone who would do that, but if a higher goal is achieved, as with the deer hunting example, then overall it isn't always a bad thing. Animals do reproduce...

BTW I do agree with Leon - Bull "fighting" is torture, as is the "sport" of dog fighting.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post

Like I said not for me but I love a good steak and my leather jacket so I would be a pretty big hypocrite if I objected.
This is exactly the same way I feel. I think killing animals for sport is wrong, but today is Canada Day and I am going to my sister's house to eat some hamburgers. I guess I'm part of the problem too.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
This is exactly the same way I feel. I think killing animals for sport is wrong, but today is Canada Day and I am going to my sister's house to eat some hamburgers. I guess I'm part of the problem too.
Agree basically, except for the idea we should feel guilty because humans are carnivores. People eating dead animals is not "a problem."
Old 07-01-2019, 02:27 PM

Eating a hamburger and traveling to Africa to shoot a giraffe are two different things. If you want to hunt, that's your thing but why is it necessary to kill something like a giraffe?

Last edited by packs; 07-01-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

I believe that woman ate the giraffe she killed. Does that make her less of a monster? What about those doing the killing at a slaughterhouse?

I must admit I tend to root for the bull in any matador fight.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM

I guess there's a sense of excitement drives people who go to big game reserves, but I do not connect with that sense of excitement.

Personally, I think the only thing inhumane about animals brought up for slaughter is the life they're forced to endure before slaughter. If you have the time I suggest you look into the conditions inside of chicken farms. There's no reason to treat animals that way, even if they're being bred for food. I have no problem with eating animals to survive, but I do have a problem with them leading horrible lives before they're eaten.

Last edited by packs; 07-01-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down.
Not a hunter, but....

What would those ways be? I'm sure it's possible in other areas, but in most of New England, deer have few natural predators left, and haven't for decades.
In some areas, especially some of the state parks, their population will easily get way out of hand, and an unchecked population is damaging to the environment.

I grew up in areas where hunting for food wasn't uncommon. My 5th grade teacher hunted regularly, but hadn't killed deer in several years. Either he didn't find one, or in at least one instance tracked one for most of the day, briefly had a shot, but it was one of those "large buck backlit by near sunset" moments and he just didn't shoot.

When I was in college one of the smallish parks near Hartford had a yearly hunt that was closely monitored. The place could support maybe 250 deer, but was usually figured at a bit over 300. Every year there would be protests.
That year they had a new ranger, who was a bit harsh. At the inevitable public meeting he gave opening remarks about how in winter deer died, and it was part of his job to remove them to keep the park looking nice for the people that used it. Followed by a slideshow of some of the more grizly ones from the previous winter. I won't give details, but it was said to be pretty disgusting. He offered to call off the hunt if he got enough volunteers to help with the cleanup caused by not allowing it.
No takers, hunt proceeded.
He was somewhere else the next year.

A lot of the conservation that happens wouldn't happen without funding from license fees, federal duck stamps etc.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Al Richter

Default Deer are dumb... people too

There is a clip of a radio call in show ( likely a spoof) where a woman claims that authorities are foolishly placing deer crossing signs in high traffic areas and that they should be moved to more rural areas so that the deer can safely cross in less traffic

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-01-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down.
I have never personally put a condom on a wild animal (let's just be clear on THAT,) but I suppose it could be done.....
Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I have never personally put a condom on a wild animal (let's just be clear on THAT,) but I suppose it could be done.....
Now that is a sport i would pay to watch.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Now that is a sport i would pay to watch.
Especially if it was squirrel monkeys.

Who knew?

https://wokesloth.com/stoned-thief-b...ys/stefan/?utm
Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Sean McGinty

I find the idea of hunting giraffes (vulnerable to extinction) and other endangered/near endangered species for sport to be extremely obnoxious and am fine with these people being criticized for that. I have friends who hunt ducks and deer and I have no problem at all with that, its one thing to hunt non-endangered animals for food in your own neck of the woods. Its another entirely for some spoiled rich kid to spend tens of thousands of dollars to fly to another country and kill an animal whose population is in terminal decline because that is what stokes their ego.

At the same time though, poaching for the Chinese market is a way bigger threat to those animals than rich American hunters are.

With bullfighting I just don't understand why it has to be lethal to the bull. Portugese bull fights aren't lethal to the bull for example.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

As far as the conservation argument goes I don't have any stats or numbers in front of me but as I understand it many of these hunters are paying 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars to shoot an animal that would be taken out regardless, for one reason or another. These funds often represent a large portion of an annual budget for whatever group protects animals in the region. The money may protect many other animals from poachers, or other threats.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Dave

I have a question for the group. In winter, when women and men wear these big heavy coats with fur hoods and around the collars. And a lot of woman wear big warm hats with all little fur on the top of the hat. Why don't people say where does that fur come from ? I doubt it's machine made.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
I have a question for the group. In winter, when women and men wear these big heavy coats with fur hoods and around the collars. And a lot of woman wear big warm hats with all little fur on the top of the hat. Why don't people say where does that fur come from ? I doubt it's machine made.
I guess I don't feel a need to sit in judgement over what other people choose to wear.

And if I did I would see nothing wrong with wearing fur. Or leather shoes, or for that matter, I'm not going to give ballplayers a hard time for using leather gloves.....

Life is so much happier and simpler when we refrain from trying to control the choices other people make.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I guess I don't feel a need to sit in judgement over what other people choose to wear.

And if I did I would see nothing wrong with wearing fur. Or leather shoes, or for that matter, I'm not going to give ballplayers a hard time for using leather gloves.....

Life is so much happier and simpler when we refrain from trying to control the choices other people make.
Very true, to me theres nothing worse than the "I don't like it therefore no one should be allowed to do it" people.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
If it's a new coat or hat it's definitely faux fur. Very few people wear actual fur anymore, mostly because of the backlash that comes with wearing fur. Some cities, like Los Angeles for example, ban the sale or manufacturing of fur. In other parts of the world the practice or farming is banned entirely as well. I haven't known anyone my age to wear fur at all.

For me, it's the quality of life that's important. Ireland recently banned fur farming just this year. They used mink farms as an example of the extreme cruelty the animals endure while being crammed into cages before being gassed and skinned.

Last edited by packs; 07-02-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Richard Simon

Let's arm the animals and see what happens then with all those brave hunters.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Sport??

I’m not a hunter. Never have been. I have 13 rescues currently with me that I’ve accumulated over the past 16 years. Haven’t lost one yet and definitely dreading the day I do. With that being said, I have zero problem with legal hunters who harvest the animal for a solid, legitimate reason. However, and I’m sure I’ll get arguments over this, there is no way I can consider hunting “sport”. It’s an ambush. Many of my friends hunt deer and turkey to help feed their families. I have no objections to this. I simply prefer to do my hunting at the grocery store or restaurant. To kill an animal simply to mount it on the wall and for no other reason is disgusting to me personally.