NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: 3.5 Million Dollar Scam - Pokemon Cards Certified by BBCE

Check out this video. Guy bought a case of Pokemon cards for 3.5 million which was certified by BBCE.

Turns out to be a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lmQ5Ls6bw

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

This would make me worried if I had high dollar unopened boxes that are BBCE wrapped. If he can’t authenticate it, then who can?
Old 01-13-2022, 08:00 PM
Albert Bee

Default pokee

maybe...but cant help that it looks a little staged ??
Old 01-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
There's no way BBCE Steve would have agreed to play a role if the whole thing was really staged. Steve is a 110% straight up guy!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

BBCE has been involved in a number of scandals over the years, people just chose to turn a blind eye and not talk about it. As long as it's shrink wrapped with a BBCE label, what does it matter what's inside, right? Kinda like PSA and all the altered cards they slabbed that were brought to light a couple of years ago. It's not what's on the inside that counts; it's the authenticator's seal that gives it its value.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 PM
Eric Perry

I get the feeling this will send ripples throughout the hobby. Either BBCE made a multi-million dollar mistake or someone is trying to make it look like they were the victim of multi-million dollar fraud.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I get the feeling this will send ripples throughout the hobby. Either BBCE made a multi-million dollar mistake or someone is trying to make it look like they were the victim of multi-million dollar fraud.
Given all that's occurred and been forgotten about over the years, I'm quite certain nothing will ever send ripples throughout the hobby. It's apparently bulletproof.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Two threads going at once on this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:24 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post

Definitely not staged. I’ve been following this one for a while and after Logan bought it a lot of ppl on the internet started questioning what they were seeing on the boxes. Steve had no experience with Pokémon he should not have authenticated this box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2022, 01:17 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Definitely not staged. I’ve been following this one for a while and after Logan bought it a lot of ppl on the internet started questioning what they were seeing on the boxes. Steve had no experience with Pokémon he should not have authenticated this box.

I have to agree. Logan is not a fourth dimensional chess player. Frankly, he trusted an authenticator many of us on Net54 also trust. But it's not that simple.

LP got ripped off because he didn't do his homework and also trusted some chump middlemen who had him marked. The chain of custody on the fugazi item is surprisingly clear and the original auction was for suckers only. So many red flags. That video is likely earning him $15K+ per day this week as long as it stays a top trending. So there's no way LP or his lawyers would let him risk owing Steve Hart millions in a lawsuit over it, negating any revenue from the content.

Steve really looks bad here and if he was branching out, it's clear he spread himself too thin. The only good news is that it was not a Topps/Fleer/etc vintage product. Hardly anyone on this site gives a crap about Pokemon product but people here have invested (or are invested) in Steve's reputation with sports cards.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

To the people making some inferences that this ordeal is a dramatic ruse, READ MORE THREADS. This has been going on for 2 years. I've been following it from the beginning, because the original flipper, meelypops has a store in Gainesville FL and I've seen him post about the original purchase in early 2020.

Steve tried to authenticate out of his knowledge base, was challenged by real experts in that specific field, and was exposed for certifying a fake. It's that easy. Don't build up straw men to try to explain it away. It happened.

You think this meelypops guy would make long videos about how he first purchased the case in Canada and then took it straight to BBCE for their blessing if he knew it was fraudulent? Because people normally play a long con where they incriminate themselves with million hit videos? Nope. He thought it was a true purchase of an undiscovered gem, and was burned along with Steve.
Will be interesting to see if anything happens with the original Canadian seller, who has a history of faking these types of items. Would require the Canadian authorities to intervene.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500649

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500869

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...m-pokeman-case

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...n-case-updates
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-14-2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25801wv View Post
This would make me worried if I had high dollar unopened boxes that are BBCE wrapped. If he can’t authenticate it, then who can?

I think unopened boxes are fine. People should worry about those UD Esq unopened cases (3 hobby boxes) that might pull LeBron RPA and sold for $1M. Those cases suddenly swim out from no where one by one and we have seen 3 so far on Goldin. The next one in line would be the 86 Fleer case that sold last yr but it has solid evidence of where it came from, so not much of an issue.

Last edited by chriskim; 01-13-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All I can say after watching that is that Hart and his colleague need to seriously consider salads.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 AM
Tom

Anybody who has BBCE stuff is just hosed but honestly you should know better. It looks like the label has wear and the tape is perfect ...lol

This is like pawn stars ....I am sorry the sheep followed and walked into a black hole.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This will blow over like every other hobby scandal this industry has faced, it’s no big deal in the grand scheme of things. His brand will only gain more acceptance and sell stronger and stronger. Everyone’s cards and unopened boxes will only go up in-value. Any short term decline which there won’t be any will be a massive buying opportunity!

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-14-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

I also feel sad for the Pokémon community!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:33 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Am I the only one impatiently waiting for Logan and Jake's 15 minutes to be up?

I blame the Kardashians for starting all of this stupid sh*t. No wonder China owns half of America.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I also feel sad for the Pokémon community!
That Pokemon community must be huge if someone is going to pay that much for a case of those cards. What would happen if someone found a case of un-opened cigarette packs with tax stamps that indicate they all have baseball cards in them? I wonder how much that case would sell.

I guess I'm not a part of the Pokemon community because for the life of me I could not see putting out $3.5M for a case of those cards. I need to open my eyes and see what the heck else is happening in the collectibles world.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

People that try and compare this BBCE blunder to a TPG like PSA's mistakes are missing the point. BBCE didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to PSA grading a fake Wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

BBCE is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

The box wasn't right, the label wasn't the right size, the label barcode didn't match the number, the box tape didn't match the tape on other cases from the same company. Nothing was right and the "expert" still authenticated it.

å̵̧͇̭͉͙̜͠n̴̨̻̬͙̯̗̋̎́̒̾͛̈́̾̕d̸̳̱̗̖̖̟͆͐̂́y̵̆͗̓̋̿̋̉͗̈ ̩́ ̷̢̧̗̳̫̭̼̒̒͗̇͐̉͒͠͝n̴̨̬̣͋̌͌̀̌̄e̵̘̞̙̯̯̰͋́̀̋͘͜u̵͌̾̉̇͐͂ ͙̜͙̤̗͍̤̥̽̈́b̶̡̛͕̋̃͒̒͛̐e̷̥̠̟̓͂͋̐r̴̗̜̲͇̘̙̾̾t̴̛͗͋͌ ̹͙̠̎

Last edited by bn2cardz; 01-20-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
People that try and compare this BBCE blunder to a TPG like PSA's mistakes are missing the point. BBCE didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to PSA grading a fake Wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

BBCE is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

The box wasn't right, the label wasn't the right size, the label barcode didn't match the number, the box tape didn't match the tape on other cases from the same company. Nothing was right and the "expert" still authenticated it.
+1

Spot on!

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
people that try and compare this bbce blunder to a tpg like psa's mistakes are missing the point. Bbce didn't grade an altered, but authentic, item. This was a fully fabricated box. This would be similar to psa grading a fake wagner, not just a trimmed authentic one.

Bbce is supposed to authenticate these items. They had this in hand and couldn't detect the fact it was fake, even though others, only seeing pictures of it, could tell it was fake.

+ 26

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:25 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Have we let authentications control the marketplace instead of collectors? I feel like collecting has very little to do with the card or “sealed item” and everything to do with what a private unregulated company has to say about it

Old 01-16-2022, 06:27 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Let's stop talking about Autographed cards graded by TPGs Ion this thread. This other topic of signed Pujols cards is a distraction from the topic at hand.

This thread is about the ineptitude of BBCE and their authentication of a fabricated case (not authentic in any way).

å̵̧͇̭͉͙̜͠n̴̨̻̬͙̯̗̋̎́̒̾͛̈́̾̕d̸̳̱̗̖̖̟͆͐̂́y̵̆͗̓̋̿̋̉͗̈ ̩́ ̷̢̧̗̳̫̭̼̒̒͗̇͐̉͒͠͝n̴̨̬̣͋̌͌̀̌̄e̵̘̞̙̯̯̰͋́̀̋͘͜u̵͌̾̉̇͐͂ ͙̜͙̤̗͍̤̥̽̈́b̶̡̛͕̋̃͒̒͛̐e̷̥̠̟̓͂͋̐r̴̗̜̲͇̘̙̾̾t̴̛͗͋͌ ̹͙̠̎

Last edited by bn2cardz; 01-20-2022 at 05:54 PM.