NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 AM
David L.

Default Fake T218 Boxing Autographs on eBay

I sure hope nobody here is buying those horrible fake T218 autos being sold by dc2marvelevents on eBay. According to their feedback they sell quite a bit of forgeries.

Can you imagine if a signed T218 Ketchel actually existed??

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...g=100&_fosrp=1

Complete trash

869869-A4-05-E6-4-B6-C-AF88-04051-D2-E1-DBF
5-E49-F4-E3-22-F5-48-E2-8-F20-E15-C81-BDEA51

David Luft1$
Old 06-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Oh, come on, Jimmy Gardner always signed with a Sharpie! You're just a hater...

All of the listings have been taken down. Checking the inscriptions on some it is apparent that whoever made them did some research first. The Ad Wolgast, for example, was dated 1953 in Camarillo. Wolgast died in 1955 in the insane asylum in Camarillo.

At $40 each as listed I bet there were many who'd take a chance if they looked halfway decent. I've probably got a few dodgy boxing autos in my collection...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:08 PM
David L.

Hehe

I noticed they did some research too. For the Langford, someone had looked at an example at least.

Sadly, those T218s weren’t taken down but were all sold to someone.

I’m sure more will pop up soon though!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...23f782ffee7b20

For comparison.
The second pic is from Leland’s:

1-E6-A752-F-7-D7-B-49-EF-BD32-50-C5154-C9-B44
D59-F5-A8-C-0812-47-DF-BCC2-D6-F3-F78008-B2

Last edited by david_l; 06-17-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Dave

Oh my!

Ketchel was dead by October 1910, so that would be quite the coup.

Also, Langford signed T218 for 75 bucks and Jeffries for 30 bucks. Pretty Sweet!
Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Dave

Ha Ha! I just stumbled on something really f'ing hilarious. Adam mentioned they did their research. I can pinpoint exactly where they did their research, based on the inscriptions.

It looks like Boxrec dot com is their main source of info.

I won't post any direct links, as Boxrec is an extremely valuable resource, it is also entirely dependent on your AdBlock/Virus/Malware and browser settings, whether it ends up freezing your screen or not.

T218 Jack Twin Sullivan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T218-J...p2047675.l2557

Inscription reads "1174 Rounds"

Boxrec profile lists "1174 Rounds" fought. Correct info............right? Well it, took boxrec up until very recently to compile that list of rounds..........and it's contingent on only verifiable bouts and likely a couple decades of research. There is literally no way, a boxer many decades ago comes up with the same number of rounds as a research database does in the year 2020.

Next.

T218 Johnny Marto

Inscribed record "12-4-1"

Exact record listed at the top of Johnny Marto's Boxrec page "12-4-1"

This is a guy who had 125 Confirmed bouts through research, and likely many more we'll never find evidence for. Boxrec came about their number through official "decisions", while notating newspaper decision bouts and various other complications due to the laws of boxing during that time period. There is no way possible Marto is going to regurgitate a record in an inscription many decades ago, that jives with the exact record a boxing database pumps out in the year 2020. If anything retired boxers from that time period give themselves credit for many more (sometimes hundreds more fights), then what we have discovered through present day research.

Just two obvious examples I've found.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post

Sadly, those T218s weren’t taken down but were all sold to someone.
That's a shame; someone got ripped off.

Betcha PSA would authenticate them...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-17-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Dave

Marto sold today for 40 bucks........and then relisted for $55 bucks.

LO..............f'ing..........L!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Dave

Another one:

Jack Goodman T218

Inscription says "4-1"

Boxrec page lists "4-1" at the top of the page, with 40 confirmed bouts. Again, this boxer never would have seen his own record the same as Boxrec does in the year 2020.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If someone is dumb enough to believe these are real and buy them, well.... I don't want to say they deserve it, but at some point it becomes their own fault. The Ketchel is particularly amazing, he had 5-6 months to sign a card at a time in which autograph collecting was not really a thing anyways.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:47 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

It was me. However, I "reserved" them to bring awareness to the seller as I expected they were fake. And, in the off chance they were real was willing to take a risk at their low price. The Kline was the first to jump out and the "S" in Summers and lastly the Sharpie ink. If they had a 1% chance of being legit it would have been a once in a lifetime find. Seller refunded me within minutes of my purchase(the amount of time I needed to verify them). I am not the eBay police but I did bring awareness to the seller of my concerns and some evidence to support it. Most of the cards were $40-$55 which is not a gross overcharge from their raw value and they were in decent shape. Nobody is getting burned too badly if they don't get taken down. That may be a sh*try outlook, but there are bigger problems in the world then a handful of fake autos for $50 and the seller had zero issues refunding. This may fire some of you guys up, but I've seen it for 35 years and just kind of numb to it. Buyer must always beware.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Personally, the seller is committing blatant fraud and $50 for a poor grade T218 common is a 1000%+ price increase for a card doctored in the face of all decency and ethics.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:15 PM
David L.

@ Dave. Lol nice sleuthing...

... I agree with Greg 100%

I had one of the cards in my watch list and dc2marvelevents, the seller of these faked autographs, contacted me with an offer. I figured I’d write back. I was polite but direct with them and told them that the autos were fake and that there was some discussion within some hobbyist groups and message boards regarding these cards. I genuinely thought the seller might want to know they were being talked about.

dc2marvelevents messaged me back in all caps saying among other things

“I BOUGHT THEM IN A COLLECTION AND I KNOW NOTHING ABIOUT THE AUTOGRAPHS. EBAYERS LIKE YOUR SELF IDIOTS!”

Take it for what it’s worth but dc2marvelevents is either completely ignorant regarding the authenticity of the autographs they are selling (which is what the seller claims and is the BEST case scenario) or they are trying to commit fraud. Decide for yourselves but either way not a great business model.

Last edited by david_l; 06-18-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
@ Dave. Lol nice sleuthing...

... I agree with Greg 100%

FYI, I had one of the cards in my watch list and dc2marvelevents, the seller of these faked autographs, contacted me with an offer. I figured I’d write back. I was polite but direct with them and told them that the autos were fake and that there was some discussion within some hobbyist groups and message boards regarding these items. I genuinely thought the seller might want to know they were being talked about.

dc2marvelevents messaged me back in all caps saying among other things

“I BOUGHT THEM IN A COLLECTION AND I KNOW NOTHING ABIOUT THE AUTOGRAPHS. EBAYERS LIKE YOUR SELF IDIOTS!”

Take it for what it’s worth but dc2marvelevents is either completely ignorant regarding the authenticity of the autographs they are selling (which is what the seller claims and is the BEST case scenario) or they are trying to commit fraud. Decide for yourselves but either way not a great business model.
Guess that kind of response would be expected. The cross-section between people who type in all caps and sell fraudulent sports cards seems to be extremely high for some reason lol.

How many more years do we have before eBay is flooded with T218 Jack Johnson fakes sellers found in Grandpa's attic, like the Pre-War Baseball listings?
Old 06-18-2020, 01:07 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Smile

I'm not sure I recall a time that I considered eBay a platform for decency or an ethical entity. Reports and complaints mostly fall on deaf ears with no resolve. There are so many issues these days that I have just backed away from the world of collecting and occasionally come up for air between farming, kids and work. There is junk entombed in slabs that are sold as legit too. Autos are best left alone unless sufficient provenance is provided, which you'll pay for. I might be a dumb dirtbag but I took the path of sharing information with the seller that identified my concerns to their authenticity. Right or wrong, it's how I chose to go about it because I am not an authenticator and the cards were not in my hand. And admittedly, I had that sliver of hope that just maybe,........they were Uncle Jimmie's
Old 06-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Now, who can argue with that? Not only is it authentic eBay gibberish, it illustrates the true animating spirit of so many eBay sellers: I don't know what it is I am selling but I'm going to label it anyway and if you don't believe whatever nonsense I pulled out of my @$$ I will evade the issue by insulting you.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-19-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Another one:

Jack Goodman T218

Inscription says "4-1"

Boxrec page lists "4-1" at the top of the page, with 40 confirmed bouts. Again, this boxer never would have seen his own record the same as Boxrec does in the year 2020.
It doesn't match what the back of the card says either.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Sean Brennan

they are back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T218-J...UAAOSw6~de6j4E

Tags
counterfeit, dc2marvelevents, fake autographs, forged autographs