NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-22-2021, 11:09 PM

Default any advice on collecting vintage newspaper panels and photos?

I recently came across the idea of collecting vintage baseball newspaper panels and photos. Is there any guide to collecting these? Is there any value? This is puzzling me as I cant find any information about collecting them, or info on anyone who has collected them. They are so similar to baseball cards or even wirephotos but at the same time not at all.

I find it fascinating that period time photos of players and hall of famers in newspapers can be had for such low money compared to cards. I mean for example I bought a period time 1935 newspaper photo of Lloyd and Paul Waner for less than $15

Thanks for any info or insight

-LJA

Last edited by LJACards; 01-22-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 AM
Chris Counts

My first piece of advice is don't pay $15 for one clipping. There's a guy on eBay with literally a thousand, and you won't need to pay his prices. Next, I'd start searching for "scrapbooks" on eBay — that's where most of mine have come from. I also search "Sunday News," since that publication generally has the best images. Here are a few of my favorites. I doubt I paid more than a couple bucks for any of these, and some of them are huge. If you like these, I have tons of extras, also in black in white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39gehrig.jpg (77.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg sn35cochrane.jpg (77.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg snvandermeer2.jpg (79.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg sn38dimaggio.jpg (76.1 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 01-23-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:25 PM
Hank Thomas

Not sure what you mean by newspaper panels, and by photos do you mean clipped out of the papers and kept in binders? Sounds like you might be talking about a modern version of scrapbooking, and if so I think the main problem would be finding enough old newspapers to put much together. But old scrapbooks do come up from time to time, and they are cool if you're into the teams or players. Old papers will darken in tone and get brittle with age, though, and are therefore not very collectible as far as I know. As mentioned, the old Sunday "gravure" sections in sepia or color are made of more substantial paper, are better bets to age and frame nicely. Here are several of mine on the wall:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0850 (800x600).jpg (61.8 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0851 (800x600).jpg (49.5 KB, 264 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 02:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Those framed pieces look great and obviously have value. But the clippings with only text and no visual aesthetics don't seem to carry much (if any) value.

I would not approach this segment if you are looking for a potential investment that would increase in value (or even retain its value). But if it's just for your collection and satisfaction, you can accumulate some pretty significant, rare and historic pieces for very little money.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Most importantly.... collect what you like!

Last edited by perezfan; 01-23-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Those framed pieces look great and obviously have value. But the clippings with only text and no visual aesthetics don't seem to carry much (if any) value. I would not approach this segment if you are looking for a potential investment that would increase in value (or even retain its value). But if it's just for your collection and satisfaction, you can accumulate some pretty significant, rare and historic pieces for very little money.
Yes, whatever you do with old papers would only be for your collecting pleasure, and old scrapbooks full of articles and pictures do surface occasionally and don't go for much when they do. I doubt I could even get the framing costs out of my Sunday section pieces, but I love looking at them. And I could probably spend a lifetime trying to find them again, that's how rare they are. Throw in the minimal cost, and for me they've been a great collecting niche.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
My first piece of advise is don't pay $15 for one clipping. There's a guy on eBay with literally a thousand, and you won't need to pay his prices. Next, I'd start searching for "scrapbooks" on eBay — that's where most of mine have come from. I also search "Sunday News," since that publication generally has the best images. Here are a few of my favorites. I doubt I paid more than a couple bucks for any of these, and some of them are huge. If you like these, I have tons of extras, also in black in white.
about 100% sure You are talking about the exact person i saw on ebay.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Mark

I love old newspaper pieces and scrapbooks. I have several framed photogravure type pieces and several great scrapbooks. Check out the recent post on scrapbooks, I got lots of good ideas. Scrapbooks are certainly the best place to get oldest pieces. I had a stack of 1930s sporting news in terrible shape I have been making a scrapbook from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE4A94E8-010D-4B85-A796-AB94B6A40A96.jpg (15.6 KB, 248 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:52 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Awesome items!! I'll pm you later.
Quote:
My first piece of advice is don't pay $15 for one clipping. There's a guy on eBay with literally a thousand, and you won't need to pay his prices. Next, I'd start searching for "scrapbooks" on eBay — that's where most of mine have come from. I also search "Sunday News," since that publication generally has the best images. Here are a few of my favorites. I doubt I paid more than a couple bucks for any of these, and some of them are huge. If you like these, I have tons of extras, also in black in white.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
My first piece of advice is don't pay $15 for one clipping.
That's the best advice you will get, and you could get dozens of the items that guy sells for the price of one, if you just bought the old books / guides that he cuts up.

Or, I have 4000 TSNs I'll sell you dating back into the 1880s, hahahaha.

But seriously, I will.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
That's the best advice you will get, and you could get dozens of the items that guy sells for the price of one, if you just bought the old books / guides that he cuts up.

Or, I have 4000 TSNs I'll sell you dating back into the 1880s, hahahaha.

But seriously, I will.
for 15$? sold! lol
Old 01-25-2021, 07:25 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJACards View Post
for 15$? sold! lol
Each? Done. We have a deal. Insert smiley face here.

Doug "I also have a bunch of Sporting Lifes, and a run of Baseball Weekly, that I would love to move..." Goodman
Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Each? Done. We have a deal. Insert smiley face here.

Doug "I also have a bunch of Sporting Lifes, and a run of Baseball Weekly, that I would love to move..." Goodman
thats really not a bad price, i may hit you up when i get some extra cash. Im completely unknown to them, as ive never had one but I love the history.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:25 PM
Doug Goodman

Back to the OP's original question :

My best advice would be don't buy this :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HANK-ARON-b...MAAOSwyOxgDxco

Or anything like it, no matter what the price is.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-26-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:28 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Back to the OP's original question : My best advice would be don't buy this :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HANK-ARON-b...MAAOSwyOxgDxco
Or anything like it, no matter what the price is.
But it's been slabbed a 10 by FGS!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
I also search "Sunday News," since that publication generally has the best images. Here are a few of my favorites. I doubt I paid more than a couple bucks for any of these, and some of them are huge.
I concur on the NY Sunday News. Great images!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:15 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I have a group of scrapbooks and pictures listed on BST in memorabilia section. I know you are not supposed to hawk items ...but I am only asking $10 plus shipping just trying to find a good home for these.
Jonathan
Old 01-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I know you are not supposed to hawk items ...
We'll let you slide...

This time.

Hahahaha
Old 01-29-2021, 04:35 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I have a group of scrapbooks and pictures listed on BST in memorabilia section. I know you are not supposed to hawk items ...but I am only asking $10 plus shipping just trying to find a good home for these.
Jonathan
I sent you a pm.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I distinguish between cut out pictures from a publication, items that were designed to be cut out, and supplements/premium that were inserted with the paper. There is relatively little work done on the designed cut-outs and they represent a great way to collect vintage. I'd say on the cheap but that seems a bit odd nowadays. Here's an article I wrote on one such series:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...f-west-baylor/

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-31-2021, 09:53 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Default Candid vs posed

Imo I would rather have a posed pic meant to be cutout than a candid photo not meant to be cutout. I really can't say why.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:00 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I finally had some time to go through a box of newsprint photos that Jon Sterling sent me. (Sorry Jon, I couldn't find your net54 user id).
I was overwhelmed by what he sent. The shipping was more than he wanted for the pics!
Here are photo of approximately 30% of the ones he sent:pics 1.jpg

pics 2.jpg
Jon, I really appreciate your generosity!!