NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-21-2020, 06:09 AM
Jeff

Red Sox and Betts fan here. A few years ago a commentator, ARod?, was questioning why Mookie isn't a household name? I agree. I got the impression that Mookie is lowkey and possiably didn't seek hype and branding maybe it was the Sox fault? His new home with LA will be telling. If he becomes the "new face of baseball" LA is the place to do it, if he wants it.

I would add that the Sox are a real "hometown" team being on the Dodgers may have a more national appeal. Just some thoughts

I'm glad I have my Betts rookies and happy with the price I paid!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Larry P.

Reminds me of Mantle vs Mays controversy from the 1960s.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:09 AM
Scott Russell

I'm a Dodger fan and have quickly fallen in love with Mookie, but Trout has been so damn consistent at such a high level, plus, and don't underestimate this, the hype train was SO huge when he was a prospect coming up at the same time as Harper, and turning out to be clearly superior to him, that it drove his value and there's never been so much as a hiccup in his performance to derail that train.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
Reminds me of Mantle vs Mays controversy from the 1960s.

Don't overlook the obvious difference:

Mantle is to Mays

as

Trout is to Betts

No controversy, it's just there.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-21-2020, 06:52 PM

With Mantle and Mays, the WAR tilt is actually significant in Mays direction.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
With Mantle and Mays, the WAR tilt is actually significant in Mays direction.
Career OPS+

1st Ruth 202
5th Trout 176
7th Mantle 172
19th Mays 156
113th Betts 135
Old 10-24-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Career OPS+

1st Ruth 202
5th Trout 176
7th Mantle 172
19th Mays 156
113th Betts 135
OPS+ only measures offense, though, WAR measures offense, defense, and baserunning.

Of course, WAR is also a counting stat, so the fact that Mays had 12,497 plate appearances in his career vs. 9,910 for Mantle is taken into consideration.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:15 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Mickey Mantle went to the World Series twelve times! When he retired from the game, he had seven rings! He was a true champion! There is a reason why his cards are expensive! As for Trout, I don't know man! This guy has zero World Series appearances, and made the playoffs just once! And despite this, statheads are just punching away at their calculators going "Let me divide his ABs with his WAR and let's multiply this by 52.385 and then subtract this total from his ... oh my godness! Oh my godness! This guy is the best! Wow! Wow! Wow! " It's quite laughable!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedWill1939 View Post
Red Sox and Betts fan here. A few years ago a commentator, ARod?, was questioning why Mookie isn't a household name? I agree. I got the impression that Mookie is lowkey and possiably didn't seek hype and branding maybe it was the Sox fault? His new home with LA will be telling. If he becomes the "new face of baseball" LA is the place to do it, if he wants it.

I would add that the Sox are a real "hometown" team being on the Dodgers may have a more national appeal. Just some thoughts

I'm glad I have my Betts rookies and happy with the price I paid!

Maybe he should have someone take his picture kissing himself in the mirror, that ought to do it for the branding.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 PM
Steven Finley

Statistical comparison aside, it boils down to:

1. While similar talents, Trout is widely regarded as the player of this this generation both by the hobby and the sport at large. You could debate the two as long as you like but in almost every facet Trout is “generational” and Betts is “exceptional” by majority. I tend to fall into this camp as well, and it’s direct correlation to hobby prices is obvious.

2. The 2011 Topps Update Trout has taken a life of it own and can now be easily regarded as the most important modern baseball card in the hobby (sans manufactured scarcity) and it could be argued it has cracked the top 10 most important post war baseball cards. The 2014 Betts, while valuable and important, is not in the same standing.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:01 PM
qu@n nguy3n

trout is babe ruth mookie is jimmie foxx, that's the more apropos comparison in term of performance. and i love mookie being a dodgers fan, he's been everything and more with the already high expectations.