NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2022, 11:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
Yep it's official...we now get to start this all over again tomorrow night at 9pm. Wonder if we can all just retract our bids in a solidarity protest? Lol
It's tempting.

Consignors must be giddy. Bidders, not so much. I wonder how many lots were "won" only to be lost tomorrow?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:21 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
Seems like a good idea to extend another day
Not to be smart but seems like a good idea to get it right when you are supposed to get it right.
This happens too often at too many AH’s.
I for one am in the aggravated camp when it comes to these happenings. Not like it is some low level mom&pop AH.
I guess I’m not tech savvy enough to understand, but I am reasonably certain eBay rarely crashes and going out on a limb ,I would wager a heck of a lot more bidding there at any given moment.
Really wish wanting a card that I have been researching for weeks and now this didn’t get me down. But man I really want that card.

Rant over. Probably the right thing to do given the situation.
Thomas Church
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
every lot closed again
Did ya get your shill bids in?
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

And I'll be coaching my son's hockey team tomorrow night during the new auction closing...so I guess my lots will be fair game.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:30 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
This is so annoying. Watch, they'll extend bidding for another day because of this. My prediction.
Mark, I hope your prediction is correct, because although I'm not bidding on anything, I do have a dozen cards consigned to this auction.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Chase

Yeah this is not going to work out well for the bidders. After reopening I am sure everyone bid to win only to have the auction postponed. Sorry to all those bidding and congrats to the consignors. Cha ching!!!!
Old 04-24-2022, 11:48 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
Seems like a good idea to extend another day
They should extend another week. It’s possible that some people have to travel tomorrow and therefor can’t bid. Maybe some people will sleep for 24 consecutive hours and miss their chance. I think they should extend 2 weeks actually now that I’m thinking about it.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:48 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
They really should check the time stamps of the bids, remove any & all bids after midnight sharp tonight (when the server crashed), and resume/ restart the auction at midnight tomorrow w/ 10 min clocks on all lots.
That solution would absolutely be the completely fair thing to do...put the entire thing on pause back to the moment things all fell apart, then restart it at the same hour tomorrow from that point. (Cue Bill Murray...it's like Groundhog Day all over again!)

It makes so much sense...so there is absolutely no chance this will happen.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:50 AM
Richard L.

Woke up and realized something is up (aware now). Zero intentions of bidding higher!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C0CB453D-032C-43A2-A537-6CD41BED5A6A.jpeg (33.1 KB, 330 views)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:36 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
That solution would absolutely be the completely fair thing to do...put the entire thing on pause back to the moment things all fell apart, then restart it at the same hour tomorrow from that point. (Cue Bill Murray...it's like Groundhog Day all over again!)

It makes so much sense...so there is absolutely no chance this will happen.
Not saying this isn't an optimal solution, but there's no magic button to doing that for 3500 lots automatically, it would have to be done manually. At 30 seconds labor per lot (which is very optimistic) it would would take roughly 29 man hours to do this. I don't know what their available labor pool is at 1am on a Sunday night but I'm guessing it's not a dozen people who could blow that out in a couple hours.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-25-2022, 04:39 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Or just end each GD lot individually. This is now a circus. Waiting for people to head to the great egress

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-25-2022, 04:56 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is the best. People can hang in there one more day.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-25-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:06 AM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Not to be smart but seems like a good idea to get it right when you are supposed to get it right.
This happens too often at too many AH’s.
I for one am in the aggravated camp when it comes to these happenings. Not like it is some low level mom&pop AH.
I guess I’m not tech savvy enough to understand, but I am reasonably certain eBay rarely crashes and going out on a limb ,I would wager a heck of a lot more bidding there at any given moment.
Really wish wanting a card that I have been researching for weeks and now this didn’t get me down. But man I really want that card.

Rant over. Probably the right thing to do given the situation.
Thomas Church
REA needs to have their servers up in AWS (Amazon) and turn on a feature called auto-scaling - as the name implies; as the server load goes up, AWS provides the greater horsepower for each web and database server needs. It isn't rocket science in the technology world. They probably outsource their hosting/tech work but if I were a member of the REA leadership team, I'd have a pretty strong come-to-Jesus talk with my provider and ask why technology like this wasn't being used.

Anyway - thanks to those posting the note from REA, I still haven't received squat from them and am currently winning a couple of items - we'll see.

I do know when it comes time to sell my collection - I will remember this event w/ REA.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is the best. People can hang in there one more day.
+1 Agree. Sadly these things happen from time to time. but when bidding opens again those who want will and those who do not or were not won't

and then we look to the next auctions from Goldin to Heritage and so on and so on

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-25-2022, 06:15 AM
Sam Dodero

Default RE Auction

I am high on only one lot I thought I won twice last night, but in on a bunch! If I get out bid on the one I am defiantly going to. consider a few others! Still a awful way to end a auction!!!!

Last edited by mordecaibrown1; 04-25-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This is post just shows me if you have any sorta of high end cards you want to sell send them to REA immediately. There are apparently so many people bidding on REA they crash their system. Not REA's Fault. The game is now a 10 inning game and not a 9 inning game and people are still bidding!!! It's amazing !
Old 04-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

REA is the best IMO but stuff like this is very frustrating. Website failure is extremely common with these auction houses

There has to be a better way. I also don’t understand why there needs to be 3hrs of “extended bidding” at 9pm EST before the lot by lot finish.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's the ten-minute thing and the antiquated auction hosting at CreateAuction that is causing this. The surge of bids at 8:59 overwhelmed the capacity of the site. All they are doing is postponing the problem to tonight: what happens with this surge? Will Create add more capacity to REA by then? For answers to these questions, tune in at 8:58 tonight.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-25-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Now the million dollar question... how much do these lots increase today and in the wee hours of tomorrow am?

Very interesting to see.......

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-25-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Absolutely correct. There is a cult surrounding REA that reminds me a bit of that Heavens Gate scene many years ago. Regardless of what happens people will explain away and ignore and find justifications and talk about how great and benevolent and all powerful the leaders are. A desperate attempt to be accepted as one of the special followers. All powerful and all good. Worship at the altar of hobby and earthy perfection.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-25-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Absolutely correct. There is a cult surrounding REA that reminds me a bit of that Heavens Gate scene many years ago. Regardless of what happens people will explain away and ignore and find justifications and talk about how great and benevolent and all powerful the leaders are. A desperate attempt to be accepted as one of the special followers. All powerful and all good. Worship at the altar of hobby and earthy perfection.
You get it ! Boo Whoo they still bid.

It would be interesting if someone here could do a cost comparison based on prices before the outage and then the final hammer price. Bob C?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:37 AM
Chase

Quote:
You get it ! Boo Whoo they still bid.

It would be interesting if someone here could do a cost comparison based on prices before the outage and then the final hammer price. Bob C?
Bob C? This situation calls for an ANCOVA model!!!! We need snowman. He is the only one we know who can run algorithms and models that can predict with 100% accuracy the outcome of this sale as if it were happening in actual time and in an alternate universe. Snowman where are you????

Last edited by Lorewalker; 04-25-2022 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:53 AM
Ch.r.ls M.u.lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
REA needs to have their servers up in AWS (Amazon) and turn on a feature called auto-scaling - as the name implies; as the server load goes up, AWS provides the greater horsepower for each web and database server needs. It isn't rocket science in the technology world. They probably outsource their hosting/tech work but if I were a member of the REA leadership team, I'd have a pretty strong come-to-Jesus talk with my provider and ask why technology like this wasn't being used.

Anyway - thanks to those posting the note from REA, I still haven't received squat from them and am currently winning a couple of items - we'll see.

I do know when it comes time to sell my collection - I will remember this event w/ REA.
There was 100% smoke coming from their on-prem server closet last night.