NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Warren Spahn won 363 games, most by a modern day pitcher. He also lost 3 years to military service. It's possible he would have won 400 games. He had thirteen 20 win seasons. I realize today's metrics don't value wins, but Spahn was incredible. He wasn't flashy. Maybe that's why he gets so little support.
I agree a lot with this. He's not a "sexy" pick. I don't mean that literally.. he just wasn't a flashy hero type.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I agree a lot with this. He's not a "sexy" pick. I don't mean that literally.. he just wasn't a flashy hero type.
Other factors against Spahn were a small market mostly not so great team, a very ordinary physical stature and looks, and success based more on relentless consistency and finesse than blowing people away. But especially as was pointed out missing the years he did, a remarkable career. Destined to forever be at or near the top of those underrated lists we do once in a while.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-07-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Randy Johnson in his prime followed by Koufax. Nobody else is really even close IMO.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:15 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Minor comment is I think Spahn is slightly overlooked in these conversations. He’s just on the fringe of them but should be right in the mix in my opinion. Guy gave up a solid 3 years for service in his early going too. More than anything though this thread has made me realize how good Grove was.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would rank them like this
Grove
Johnson
Spahn
Carlton
Koufax/Kershaw even at this point anyhow gun to my head I would take Kershaw.
Hubbell

Could see flipping Johnson and Spahn.
Koufax just too short a career, however great his peak, and I think it's been show that peak benefited a lot from pitching in Dodger Stadium. Take away the good looks, the heroic pitching in pain, the not pitching on Yom Kippur, etc., I think the mystique of Koufax goes away to an extent.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-07-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:15 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would rank them like this
Grove
Johnson
Spahn
Carlton
Koufax/Kershaw even at this point anyhow gun to my head I would take Kershaw.
Hubbell

Could see flipping Johnson and Spahn.
Koufax just too short a career, however great his peak, and I think it's been show that peak benefited a lot from pitching in Dodger Stadium. Take away the good looks, the heroic pitching in pain, the not pitching on Yom Kippur, etc., I think the mystique of Koufax goes away to an extent.
Peter. I like the list. And you have some valid points.
But I would probably put Spahn ahead of Johnson and probably put Koufax ahead of Kershaw

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-07-2021, 05:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

What if the question was "As the GM of a new franchise, which starting LHP would you pick first, assuming you had them for their entire career?"

Now you've got to weigh peak vs. longevity. What is more important?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-07-2021, 05:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
What if the question was "As the GM of a new franchise, which starting LHP would you pick first, assuming you had them for their entire career?"

Now you've got to weigh peak vs. longevity. What is more important?
The guy who wins by best 4 year peak, best 5 year peak, best 7 year peak, and total career value: Grove.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:35 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I should have put Kershaw on my list as well. For some reason, I was just thinking HOFers, not active players. But ya, Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax, and Clayton Kershaw.

However, as perhaps the only statistician in the room, I feel like I have to ask; what stats are you guys looking at that makes you think Lefty Grove and Warren Spahn are even in the conversation? I don't get it. Are you only looking at games played or something? Lol. Wins? Complete games? Warren Spahn was an above-average pitcher, at best, for a really long time. The one year he won the Cy Young in, the only statistical category he led the league in was Wins, a near meaningless statistic when evaluating how good a pitcher is.

Lefty Grove had like 5 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched (and he led the league in Ks his first 7 years in the league). That's indicative of how terrible pitchers were back then, not of how great he was. Nobody threw their arms out back then because pitchers in the 1920s & 30s were effectively playing catch, not because they had superior genetics or throwing motions. They were only concerned with ball placement, not throwing heat ("top right corner! haha, he'll never see THAT coming"). Lefty Grove probably wouldn't even make a major league roster today. The guy's career WHIP is 1.278! That's not good. If he was your starting pitcher on a fantasy baseball roster, you'd lose money.

The only argument against Randy Johnson is that he was a late bloomer. He had serious control issues until he was about 29 years old. But after that, he was as dominant as they come, right or left-handed.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:18 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Say what you will about how fans tend to carry selective memories when it comes to their teams/heroes, but can millions upon millions be wrong?
I don't have a strong opinion on the "Koufax career greatness" debate, but I can answer yes to your question w/ two other names:

Nolan Ryan and Pete Rose
Old 11-08-2021, 12:24 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I should have put Kershaw on my list as well. For some reason, I was just thinking HOFers, not active players. But ya, Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax, and Clayton Kershaw.

However, as perhaps the only statistician in the room, I feel like I have to ask; what stats are you guys looking at that makes you think Lefty Grove and Warren Spahn are even in the conversation? I don't get it. Are you only looking at games played or something? Lol. Wins? Complete games? Warren Spahn was an above-average pitcher, at best, for a really long time. The one year he won the Cy Young in, the only statistical category he led the league in was Wins, a near meaningless statistic when evaluating how good a pitcher is.

Lefty Grove had like 5 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched (and he led the league in Ks his first 7 years in the league). That's indicative of how terrible pitchers were back then, not of how great he was. Nobody threw their arms out back then because pitchers in the 1920s & 30s were effectively playing catch, not because they had superior genetics or throwing motions. They were only concerned with ball placement, not throwing heat ("top right corner! haha, he'll never see THAT coming"). Lefty Grove probably wouldn't even make a major league roster today. The guy's career WHIP is 1.278! That's not good. If he was your starting pitcher on a fantasy baseball roster, you'd lose money.

The only argument against Randy Johnson is that he was a late bloomer. He had serious control issues until he was about 29 years old. But after that, he was as dominant as they come, right or left-handed.
Not sure if you’re serious or just doing that thing where someone just tries to be contrarian. Spahn and Randy Johnson have basically an identical WAR and Spahn did it pitching one fewer season than Randy because of the 3 seasons he lost in WWII. Spahn’s stats are below. They are rather nice.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...pahnwa01.shtml
Old 11-08-2021, 12:30 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth is by far and away the greatest lefty of all time. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd place
Old 11-08-2021, 05:30 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Babe Ruth is by far and away the greatest lefty of all time. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd place
I am a huge Ruth guy.

But as a left handed pitcher the sample size is to small

During his time as A Red Sox pitcher he was amazing but the number of years is to short to make realistic comparisons

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-08-2021, 05:34 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Not sure if you’re serious or just doing that thing where someone just tries to be contrarian. Spahn and Randy Johnson have basically an identical WAR and Spahn did it pitching one fewer season than Randy because of the 3 seasons he lost in WWII. Spahn’s stats are below. They are rather nice.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...pahnwa01.shtml

WAR is a great statistic for some things, but it's not very useful if you're trying to compare pitchers from different eras. It's normalized by season. Replacement level talent from back when Lefty Grove was pitching probably wasn't much better than the guy in your church softball league who works at the steel plant and who was the 2nd best pitcher in his high school of 400 students. The overwhelming majority of pitchers from that era, possibly even all of them, would not make a major league roster today. They definitely improved by the time Spahn was throwing, but still, even then, replacement level players were far worse than they are today. And they make up the denominator in the WAR calculations. Being 10 wins better than some guy you just grabbed from the coal mines in 1927 is not the same thing as being 10 wins better than some kid who destroyed hitters in Cuba and who throws 99 mph heat but occasionally struggles with control in 2021, so he bounces back and forth between triple A ball and pros. Teleport that Cuban kid back to 1927 and nobody hits him. NOBODY. Not even Ruth. That kid would have a WAR of +25 back then. Just imagine some kid showing up next season throwing the ball 112 mph. Not even Mike Trout could hit him. Could you imagine Randy Johnson in his prime pitching to the hitters in the 1920s? He would probably throw 10 no hitters per year lol. The difference is night and day.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:45 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

That’s sort of a different argument. I agree if Randy Johnson prime went back in time he’d probably be better than Spahn and anyone else. Or if you put Spahn in the current game he might not be as good. Spahn might even be average compared to today’s pitchers. But he was far better than barely above average in his time. He was dominant.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:49 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
WAR is a great statistic for some things, but it's not very useful if you're trying to compare pitchers from different eras. It's normalized by season. Replacement level talent from back when Lefty Grove was pitching probably wasn't much better than the guy in your church softball league who works at the steel plant and who was the 2nd best pitcher in his high school of 400 students. The overwhelming majority of pitchers from that era, possibly even all of them, would not make a major league roster today. They definitely improved by the time Spahn was throwing, but still, even then, replacement level players were far worse than they are today. And they make up the denominator in the WAR calculations. Being 10 wins better than some guy you just grabbed from the coal mines in 1927 is not the same thing as being 10 wins better than some kid who destroyed hitters in Cuba and who throws 99 mph heat but occasionally struggles with control in 2021, so he bounces back and forth between triple A ball and pros. Teleport that Cuban kid back to 1927 and nobody hits him. NOBODY. Not even Ruth. That kid would have a WAR of +25 back then. Just imagine some kid showing up next season throwing the ball 112 mph. Not even Mike Trout could hit him. Could you imagine Randy Johnson in his prime pitching to the hitters in the 1920s? He would probably throw 10 no hitters per year lol. The difference is night and day.
So if Lefty Grove was so mediocre, what are your thoughts on Walter Johnson?
Old 11-08-2021, 06:27 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Lefty Grove, then Randy Johnson, then Warren Spahn
Old 11-08-2021, 06:56 AM
J0hn H@rper

Damn James....you read that quick as lightning!

I edited because I was wrong about how many guys still played both ways during Brown's years. And no, I wouldn't rank him really low. My point was that assuming with no doubt that "he's the best ever" (based on how the game was back then) doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 11-08-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:02 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

But on the list of best RBs of all time I think it would seem wrong to rank Jim Brown 2,000th simply because you think he wouldn’t start for Oregon in today’s game competing against kids that have gone through more modern training.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Are you serious? First of all there are like 500 posts on this topic in this thread. Look at WAR, ERA+. Compare Grove’s figures to the league, number must be put into the context of time and place. Grove won 7 consecutive K crowns, are we really going to use strikeouts as an argument against him? He led the league with the lowest WHIP 5 times. A statistical argument should incorporate context. He dominated his time and place like no other lefty, and he produced pretty good counting stats.

The argument for Spahn is his extremely long career and consistently excellent but not great seasons.

Just read the thread.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think the logic of Travis' argument would also dictate that Jesse Owens was slow, Mark Spitz was mediocre, Bill Russell would be a bench player today, and so forth. It's a fair argument if you're consistent with it, but personally I think it is much more meaningful to evaluate athletes relative to their time than on an absolute scale.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Even if we dismiss everyone before a randomly selected year to include only ones arbitrarily favorite candidates, how does one possibly come to the conclusion that Spahn was “an above average pitcher, at best”. At best. 100 WAR, 365 wins, 3 ERA crowns, 5 WHIP titles, 119 ERA+ In over 5,000 innings. This is merely above average, *at best*.

Surely someone can come up with a hot take that isn’t utterly absurd and can stand up to even cursory logical examination.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Spahn does well by the Bill James/Baseball Reference metrics.

Hall of Fame Statistics
Black Ink
Pitching - 101 (6), Average HOFer ≈ 40
Gray Ink
Pitching - 374 (3), Average HOFer ≈ 185
Hall of Fame Monitor
Pitching - 260 (8), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
Pitching - 66 (10), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
Starting Pitcher (13th):
100.1 career WAR | 51.4 7yr-peak WAR | 75.7 JAWS | 4.8 WAR/162
Average HOF P (out of 65):
73.3 career WAR | 50.0 7yr-peak WAR | 61.7 JAWS | 4.5 WAR/162

Old 11-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Spahn does well by the Bill James/Baseball Reference metrics.

Hall of Fame Statistics
Black Ink
Pitching - 101 (6), Average HOFer ≈ 40
Gray Ink
Pitching - 374 (3), Average HOFer ≈ 185
Hall of Fame Monitor
Pitching - 260 (8), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
Pitching - 66 (10), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
Starting Pitcher (13th):
100.1 career WAR | 51.4 7yr-peak WAR | 75.7 JAWS | 4.8 WAR/162
Average HOF P (out of 65):
73.3 career WAR | 50.0 7yr-peak WAR | 61.7 JAWS | 4.5 WAR/162
I’m hard pressed to find a standard by which Spahn isn’t excellent. That Hall Monitor number is nuts.

If we must dismiss Spahn for playing so long ago, how is Koufax eligible for consideration though? They are contemporaries. Spahn win the NL ERA crown the year before Koufax’s streak began, retired one season before Koufax. 11 of Sandy's 12 seasons were played with Spahn in the league.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’m hard pressed to find a standard by which Spahn isn’t excellent. That Hall Monitor number is nuts.

If we must dismiss Spahn for playing so long ago, how is Koufax eligible for consideration though? They are contemporaries. Spahn win the NL ERA crown the year before Koufax’s streak began, retired one season before Koufax. 11 of Sandy's 12 seasons were played with Spahn in the league.
And in how many of those did Spahn have a better year? Perhaps half?

Old 11-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
And in how many of those did Spahn have a better year? Perhaps half?
This should be pretty easy, as the winner is clear each year but 1:

1955 Spahn
1956 Spahn
1957 Spahn
1958 Spahn
1959 Spahn
1960 Spahn
1961 Spahn (wins ERA crown at 40)
1962 Debatable - WAR gives it to Spahn, Koufax won ERA title with far less IP.
1963 Koufax
1964 Koufax
1965 Koufax
Old 11-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
This should be pretty easy, as the winner is clear each year but 1:

1955 Spahn
1956 Spahn
1957 Spahn
1958 Spahn
1959 Spahn
1960 Spahn
1961 Spahn (wins ERA crown at 40)
1962 Debatable - WAR gives it to Spahn, Koufax won ERA title with far less IP.
1963 Koufax
1964 Koufax
1965 Koufax
I guess we need an argument that the first half of Koufax' career somehow isn't relevant to the evaluation. You only take his great years. Maybe within those great years you disregard any mediocre to poor games. Then you compare the sliver that's left to everyone else. After all he is KOUFAX.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-08-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:51 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I am a huge Ruth guy.

But as a left handed pitcher the sample size is to small

During his time as A Red Sox pitcher he was amazing but the number of years is to short to make realistic comparisons
The thread asks who is the best lefty of all time? Ruth was a lefty & he was the greatest baseball player of all time. The question isn’t who was the best lefty pitcher…
Old 11-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
The one year he won the Cy Young in, the only statistical category he led the league in was Wins, a near meaningless statistic when evaluating how good a pitcher is.
"Hey Warren, how come you didn't win more often that award that DIDN'T EXIST for the first FOURTEEN years of your major league career?"

Also, Spahn led the league in complete games in 1957, the year he won the CYA. He got 15 of the 16 votes for it, though, so obviously the consensus was he was the best that year.

Last edited by Tabe; 11-08-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I guess we need an argument that the first half of Koufax' career somehow isn't relevant to the evaluation. You only take his great years. Maybe within those great years you disregard any mediocre to poor games. Then you compare the sliver that's left to everyone else. After all he is KOUFAX.
After all, he is KOUFAX seems to be the linchpin of every argument for him, consistency be damned he must be evaluated under separate standards from every other contender. It’s only been like 18 months, perhaps next year a logical, consistently applied argument will be put forth for Koufax.

Koufax had an astounding peak, an amazing talent and 4 year run, I thought. But if Spahn is “above average, at best”, then Koufax, who has less than half of Spahn career value, must be a straight up bum.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
After all, he is KOUFAX seems to be the linchpin of every argument for him, consistency be damned he must be evaluated under separate standards from every other contender. It’s only been like 18 months, perhaps next year a logical, consistently applied argument will be put forth for Koufax.

Koufax had an astounding peak, an amazing talent and 4 year run, I thought. But if Spahn is “above average, at best”, then Koufax, who has less than half of Spahn career value, must be a straight up bum.
Since you're much more statistically adept than I am you might look into the point that he benefited disproportionately from pitching in Dodger Stadium. I've seen the case made but cannot find it.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:05 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Either Grove or Spahn was the best. Grove spent his first 5 years in the minors, playing close to his home and birthplace in MD, winning 111 games. Then, as a 25 year old rookie, he began his ML career which saw him win 300 games against 141 losses, a better than 2-1 ratio.

Spahn had 363 ML wins and also began his ML career late, because of the war.

I'll take Grove as the best and a very close second is Spahn. If I was a GM I'd prefer Warren, as he was a much more congenial fellow. So it's a toss-up.

If Grove begins his career in the majors, and if not for WW2, both Spahn and Grove may have been 400 game winners. Their career ERAs were virtually the same.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:07 PM

Gee, I’m almost sorry I dug this thread up…almost.

All kidding aside, the commentary and analysis is very entertaining..enlightening even. For sure one of my favorite baseball subjects.

There will never be a consensus on this topic…and I think that should suit us just fine.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-08-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Since you're much more statistically adept than I am you might look into the point that he benefited disproportionately from pitching in Dodger Stadium. I've seen the case made but cannot find it.
The road argument takes up a lot of the #100's and #400's posts. The benefits of Dodger Stadium are apparent, like for many other pitchers in that park during this period, the gap is often astronomical. His total home/road splits:

Home 2.25
Away 4.08

Home 7.50
Away 3.76

Home 3.70
Away 4.10

Home 3.70
Away 4.10

Home 2.71
Away 5.50

Home 5.27
Away 3.00

Home 4.22
Away 2.77

Home 1.75
Away 3.53

Home 1.38
Away 2.31

Home 0.85
Away 2.93

Home 1.38
Away 2.72

Home 1.52
Away 1.96

Once the Dodgers move to Dodger Stadium in 1962, Koufax becomes Koufax. Doesn't hurt it was also an expansion year. After Koufax becomes Koufax, his away ERA's, relative to the league, are fairly similar to what they were in 1960 and 1961. His 1966 Away performance is amazing even in the low run context of 1966, but other than that the gap is huge the other years of his greatness.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Their career ERAs were virtually the same.

Only if we ignore context.

Relative to time and place, against the league:
Grove: 148 ERA+
Spahn: 119 ERA+

Raw:
Grove: 3.06
Spahn: 3.09

Grove beat his league average by 48%, which was for a very long time the all-time record for a starter. Spahn by 19%.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I think the logic of Travis' argument would also dictate that Jesse Owens was slow, Mark Spitz was mediocre, Bill Russell would be a bench player today, and so forth. It's a fair argument if you're consistent with it, but personally I think it is much more meaningful to evaluate athletes relative to their time than on an absolute scale.
What a coincidence…JUST finished reading a chapter on Cool Papa Bell in Joe Posnanski’s truly awesome The Baseball 100 book.

It starts and ends with Owens’ apparent reluctance to race Cool Papa because he didn’t think he could beat him. More likely, they were two of the fastest humans on earth at the time, their legend so mighty, there was no point in racing, lest they risk tarnishing the loser’s legacy. Leave the world wondering who was truly faster forevermore.

Sorry, too coincidental not to mention. Back to southpaws…

*But seriously, The Baseball 100 is an absolute must read.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-08-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
What a coincidence…JUST finished reading a chapter on Cool Papa Bell in Joe Posnanski’s truly awesome The Baseball 100 book.

It starts and ends with Owens’ apparent reluctance to race Cool Papa because he didn’t think he could beat him. More likely, they were two of the fastest humans on earth at the time, their legend so mighty, there was no point in racing, lest they risk tarnishing the loser’s legacy. Leave the world wondering who was truly faster forevermore.

Sorry, too coincidental not to mention. Back to southpaws…

*But seriously, The Baseball 100 is an absolute must read.
I think it was Satchel who said, he once hit a line drive past my head and I turned around to see the ball hit him in the ass as he slid into second.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The road argument takes up a lot of the #100's and #400's posts. The benefits of Dodger Stadium are apparent, like for many other pitchers in that park during this period, the gap is often astronomical. His total home/road splits:

Home 2.25
Away 4.08

Home 7.50
Away 3.76

Home 3.70
Away 4.10

Home 3.70
Away 4.10

Home 2.71
Away 5.50

Home 5.27
Away 3.00

Home 4.22
Away 2.77

Home 1.75
Away 3.53

Home 1.38
Away 2.31

Home 0.85
Away 2.93

Home 1.38
Away 2.72

Home 1.52
Away 1.96

Once the Dodgers move to Dodger Stadium in 1962, Koufax becomes Koufax. Doesn't hurt it was also an expansion year. After Koufax becomes Koufax, his away ERA's, relative to the league, are fairly similar to what they were in 1960 and 1961. His 1966 Away performance is amazing even in the low run context of 1966, but other than that the gap is huge the other years of his greatness.
So he basically had four truly great years.
Now of course he quit at 30 so he's probably in people's minds getting implied credit for what he "would have" done had he not quit.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:24 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I think it was Satchel who said, he once hit a line drive past my head and I turned around to see the ball hit him in the ass as he slid into second.
Wasn't he also the guy who could turn off a light switch and hop into bed before the room got dark?
Old 11-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
The thread asks who is the best lefty of all time? Ruth was a lefty & he was the greatest baseball player of all time. The question isn’t who was the best lefty pitcher…
Aaron you got me on that technicality. You would be correct

Based the 670 plus comments they are all trending towards the greatest left handed pitcher conversation.
So in this case I will flow with them.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-08-2021, 01:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Wasn't he also the guy who could turn off a light switch and hop into bed before the room got dark?
Yes lol. I think Paige said that too actually.

Imagine the 1933 Pittsburgh Crawfords -- Bell, an aging but still great Oscar Charleston, a rookie named Josh Gibson, and a pitcher named Paige.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-08-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Yes lol. I think Paige said that too actually.

Imagine the 1933 Pittsburgh Crawfords -- Bell, an aging but still great Oscar Charleston, a rookie named Josh Gibson, and a pitcher named Paige.
From what I learned here, that Crawford team is about par with a 2021 little league team.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=earlywynnfan;2162002]From what I learned here, that Crawford team is about par with a 2021 little league team.[/QUOTE

That's absurd. They were at least good enough for the office softball team.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Prove it!

Problem is, you and everyone else has absoluetly no way to do so, so you and others comfortably keep spouting this crap about how players from today's modern era are always so much better than those from long past, and while you can't possibly prove it, nobody can disprove it either, so lucky you.

The argument you and others make is akin to taking an Indy car and driver from today and putting them on a track against cars and drivers from 100 years ago. You completely ignore the different eras in baseball and all the changes in rules, equipment, facilities, training, medical care, and on and on. You want to really and properly compare players from today against those from 75 or 100 years ago, then have your Kershaws, Johnsons, and Koufaxs be born at the same time as those that actually played 75 or 100 years ago, and grew up under the same conditions, training, rules, and so on that those players back then had. Then, and only then, could you possibly have any chance to really compare pitchers from different eras to decide who was the best lefty of all time. But your earlier comments questioning Grove, and especially Spahn, even being in the conversation as the greatest lefty pitcher of all time is hands down the dumbest thing I've seen you say here on Net54, to date. And trust me, you've got a lot of other doozies to your credit.

You mentioned how Grove and Spahn don't even have the statistics to match up with all the other, more recent pitchers on that all time list, but all those statistics are nothing but crap, and don't always truly tell you anything comparable for players across different eras. When people go to a game in person, their favorite sports bar to watch on the big screen, or just turn on the tube at home to watch their team play, they don't care how many strikeouts a pitcher has, or how many hits, walks, and HRs he did or didn't give up. Most all fans, be they 8 or 88, in that present moment in time really only care about one thing, and one thing only, did their team WIN..........PERIOD!!!!!!!! Its after the fact that all the statisticians and analysts run the numbers so they can compare them and argue about who was better and did what, and on and on. But all these statistics are meaningless because all that really matters, all that baseball players are paid to do as their one sole task, is to win. And that is something Grove and Spahn did, was win.

And especially in Spahn's case, he won a lot. More so than any other left handed pitcher in any era, and it really isn't close. Yet you said he was just an above average pitcher (probably the next dumbest thing you've ever said on this forum so far), and downplayed his entire career as just being long and how that apparently doesn't count much towards him possiblly being the best lefty pitcher ever. Well there's an old sport's cliche' (and cliche's are cliche's because they are inherently so true) and that's - "The best ability, is availabity". And Spahn was around and available to rack up more wins than anyone else on that all time lefty list. And to top it off, Spahn did that losing three of his prime pitching years while in the service, and pitching on some not so hot teams early on in his career. In fact, at one time there was an old saying that the Braves fans had popularized that I don't know if you're familiar with - "Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain". I don't think any other lefty on the list was ever immortalized in a saying like that showing just how important he was to his team. And yet despite the so-called statistical shortcomings you were pointing out, Spahn had some unmeasurable, intangible talent or ability that still allowed him to inspire his teammates to thrive and do their utmost to help the team win behind the confidence he obviously instilled in them whenever he pitched. And if that isn't a sign and testament to somebody's greatness, then I don't know what is, but it sure ain't something you just pull off a stat sheet.

And don't try pulling that crap about how Spahn can't be that great because he didn't win all kinds of championships and MVP and Cy Young awards. He was 1 for 3 in World Series, being a world champ only once, with an overall WS record of 4-3 I believe. He won the Cy Young award just once, but believe he was an all star 14 times. And though never actually winning the MVP award, he got votes for the honor in 15 different years. Arguably in baseball, your starting pitcher probably has the greatest impact of any single player on whether their team will win or lose a game. But of all the major U.S. sports, baseball is the only one where a star player, in this case the starting pitcher, doesn't get to play in every game. In fact, realistically, a starting pitcher usually only gets to pitch in about every fourth or fifth game a team plays. Even if a starter were to win every single game he starts during a season, he still can't single handedly carry his team to the playoffs and the World Series. So again, don't even think about going there.

Also in talking about this greatest lefty argument, a lot of you ignore a pitcher's entire career and focus just on some arbitrary peak period when they were at the absolute best. Talk about meaningless stats, this is a timeless move by statisticians and analysts to mine a statistical database to select just the arbitrary period or information that reinforces or validates the argument or theory they are putting forth, and not necessarily the correct or true answer. You had mentioned Johnson not really starting to take off till it was already later in his career. Well Koufax was a rookie in '55, but didn't hit his peak till the early '60s, before finally retiring a few years later while still fairly young, for health reasons. So he was somewhat of a late bloomer as well. And over the first six years (exactly half) of Koufax's career, he had a cumulative losing won-loss record. Meanwile, Johnson had a similar overall losing record over his first seven years in the majors, accounting for about a third of his career. So when you then go to determine an all time greatest left hander, why would you even consider two pitchers who couldn't even have an overall winning record for major portions of their careers, and at the start of their careers no less? That makes absolutely no sense at all. All people are doing is cherry picking these pitcher's best years to make their arguments, and ignoring entire careers. I thought the question was best left handed pitcher of all time, not most dominant left handed pitcher for a specific, arbitrary period of time during their career that someone gets to pick and choose at their discretion. IMO those are two entirely different questions. And if it is the latter question, I could reasonably argue that the best, most dominant thing any pitcher can do is pitch a perfect game, so maybe we just look to LHPs that threw one, which interestingly enough includes both Koufax and Johnson. But then many others would argue there are other LHPs, like Dallas Braden or Tom Browning, who have also pitched perfect games, but would never be thought of as the greatest or most dominant ever lefty pitcher. So one game is too short, then why not one particular year, or even two? Why instead pick a five or seven year period then, unless maybe one of the reasons is it helps the person doing the period selection to better make the argument for whom they want to be considered as the all time best?

Again, the question was ALL TIME best lefty, not just best or most dominant lefty for a randomly selected portion of their career. Perhaps another way to approach this was through the question someone posed to possibly help decide this greatest lefty of all time issue, and that was - "If you're a GM starting a team today, who is the first lefthander you would select for your team?". But there people go using that modern bias of today and forcing the old time pitchers to suddenly come up to start against today's players, without giving them the same benefits as growing up with all the modern advancements and advantages that someone like Kershaw had. At least if you're going to do that, let pitchers like Spahn and Grove be born the same year as Kershaw was so they get a chance, the same as Kershaw, to learn and develop knowing the modern game they're going to be asked to pitch in. Otherwise its going to be like taking a 1930 or 1950 Indy car driver, AND HIS CAR, and just dropping them into the 2022 Indy 500 race. It is not a fair comparison, and they won't stand a chance.

But maybe we should ask that question a different way, remembering that we're looking for the ALL TIME greatest left hander, and not just the greatest left hander pitching against today's modern players. So instead of a GM picking a lefty for a team today, how about you're a GM picking a team in 1942, the same year Spahn was a rookie and first played in the majors!!!!!! It's easy to tell how Spahn would do and that he'd end up with 363 wins, but how would pitchers like Johnson, Kershaw, and Koufax do back then, what with different rules, equipment, training, facilities, medical care, pitching so many more innings, and especially losing three years to the service. Would those lost years especially push Koufax and Johnson to being even older before finally figuring out what they were doing as pitchers to become the studs they were, and thereby maybe dramatically change for the worse how their careers ultimately turned out? Do any of them even come close to Spahn's 363 career wins? Who knows? Given that scenario, would you really expect any other lefty on that list to equal, or better, what Spahn achieved. I'm guessing there may be a lot of people that would be inclined to select Spahn, in that case.

And speaking of how players from older eras are often automatically being assumed to not be able to fare well at all against modern players, what if you could bring Grove and Spahn forward in time to pitch against today's modern players, what makes you so sure they wouldn't do well. Remember, Koufax and Johnson started their careers with six and seven years of so-so/lousy pitching, respectively. Well, I feel Grove and Spahn were pitchers more than hurlers, so who's to say that if you transferred them both to pitch in today's modern game that they wouldn't be able to pretty quickly figure out how to adapt and change the way they pitch so they could consistently win, at least a lot faster than the years it actually took Koufax and Johnson to finally figure out they were doing wrong and finally get their you-know-what together. Doesn't seem like you may have ever considered that distinct and viable possibility.

I don't honestly know who I'd say the greatest left handed pitcher of all time is, to date, but to not consider how modern lefties would have fared as pitchers had they grown up and pitched in different, earlier eras is just shortsighted and fails to consider and account for the ALL TIME aspect of the question. But to even suggest that Grove, and especially Spahn, couldn't possibly succeed in pitching against modern players, and didn't at least belong in that conversation, is again as I said above, one of the dumbest things you've ever said on this forum!

Last edited by BobC; 11-08-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'm reminded of a supposed exchange between Ty Cobb and a reporter in 1950 or so. The reporter asked Cobb, if you played today, what do you think you would hit?

Cobb replied, .270 or so.

The reporter asked, are today's players really that much better than in your day?

Cobb replied, no, but I am 65.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:46 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Prove it!

Problem is, you and everyone else has absoluetly no way to do so, so you and others comfortably keep spouting this crap about how players from today's modern era are always so much better than those from long past, and while you can't possibly prove it, nobody can disprove it either, so lucky you.
The superiority of the modern athlete is easily proven in track and field and weightlifting events, where there are actual, unbiased metrics to do so. The 4 minute mile seemed impossible during the deadball era, and wasn't accomplished until 1954. From Wikipedia:

A four-minute mile is the completion of a mile run (1.6 km) in four minutes or less. It was first achieved in 1954 by Roger Bannister, at age 25, in 3:59.4. The "four-minute barrier" has since been broken by over 1,400 athletes, and is now the standard of professional middle distance runners in several cultures.

In the 65 years since, the mile record has been lowered by almost 17 seconds, and currently stands at 3:43.13, by Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco, at age 24, in 1999.

There, I've proved athletes of today are superior to those of 100 years ago. Lucky me.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The superiority of the modern athlete is easily proven in track and field and weightlifting events, where there are actual, unbiased metrics to do so. The 4 minute mile seemed impossible during the deadball era, and wasn't accomplished until 1954. From Wikipedia:

A four-minute mile is the completion of a mile run (1.6 km) in four minutes or less. It was first achieved in 1954 by Roger Bannister, at age 25, in 3:59.4. The "four-minute barrier" has since been broken by over 1,400 athletes, and is now the standard of professional middle distance runners in several cultures.

In the 65 years since, the mile record has been lowered by almost 17 seconds, and currently stands at 3:43.13, by Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco, at age 24, in 1999.

There, I've proved athletes of today are superior to those of 100 years ago. Lucky me.
The thing about the mile record is that it hasn't been broken since 1999, which I find unbelievable.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:11 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
The thing about the mile record is that it hasn't been broken since 1999, which I find unbelievable.
I'm not saying every year, or every 5 years, there is advancement. But in 1910 a 4 minute mile was fantasy. According to Wiki, it's fairly common now. It stands to reason this applies to other physical abilities as well.

Usain Bolt would be faster around the bases than Jim Thorpe, or Hans Lobert, or any pre war human being for instance, and skill superiority like that, of the modern athlete is, in fact provable.

Last edited by Mark17; 11-08-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Spaeth --- +10.

This whole OP is certainly a case of evaluating Mr. Koufax's 6 peak years relative to his time. He killed 'em all, even in in breakout 1961 season, save for '62 when he got injured toward the season's pennant stretch. As Vin Skully remembered in Ken Burns The Story of Baseball, the Dodger fans used to rise in unison and applaud THUNDEROUSLY when Sandy would walk out to the mound to warm up. It was that kind of respect. --- Brian Powell
Old 11-08-2021, 05:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

Quote:
I'm reminded of a supposed exchange between Ty Cobb and a reporter in 1950 or so. The reporter asked Cobb, if you played today, what do you think you would hit?

Cobb replied, .270 or so.

The reporter asked, are today's players really that much better than in your day?

Cobb replied, no, but I am 65.

.300 was what the quotes attribute to what he'd hit; not .270