NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-24-2021, 08:51 PM

Default 1952 Topps High Number Complete Sheet

On another thread someone posted a scan of a partial 1952 Topps 25 card high number sheet, Ted Z commented that it is the bottom right corner of the full sheet. That got me wondering if I could reconstruct the whole sheet if I could find more partial sheets. I was able to find two more partial 25 card sheets so I figured that would be enough to give it a try. After sleuthing through the three sheets it dawned on me that the cards were all numbered sequentially, so I was able to piece them together in the correct order. The sheet with Davey Williams as the first card is the upper right corner of the full sheet, the sheet with Mickey Mantle as the first card is the bottom left corner of the full sheet, and the sheet with Dick Rozek as the first card is the bottom right corner. I couldn't find the upper left corner partial that also starts with a Mickey Mantle double print. I will post everything I could find in the next few posts. First, here is what I believe the complete sheet is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 high bottom.jpg (73.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 52 high top.jpg (75.4 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 04-24-2021 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 PM

Here are the two partial 25 card sheets I could find along with the recently posted one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 5.jpg (79.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 6.jpg (81.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 52 topps hugh sheet 4.jpg (80.4 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 04-24-2021 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-24-2021, 08:56 PM

Here is a better scan of the top half of the sheet, it will split up on phone screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 1.jpg (81.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 2.jpg (81.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 08:58 PM

Here is a better scan of the bottom half of the sheet, it will split up on phone screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 3.jpg (80.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 52 topps high sheet 4.jpg (81.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:00 PM

And finally, here is a severely miscut Mantle (type 1) with Joe Black under him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 mantle miscut.jpg (82.4 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 04-24-2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 PM
Steve

Your effort is laudable, Cliff, but I can't figure out the point here. Since the order and arrangement of cards is only apparent from the actual printing sheet itself, what can be found by piecing together a replica sheet? Along with a few partials that were likely promo samples, much of what is shown seems to be individual cards pasted together to replicate an uncut sheet. Ted Z's recollection of the full printing sheet is useful, but there are no extant photos of it that have materialized.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:20 AM
D@le Irv*n

Nice work, Cliff.

Thanks for doing that.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:42 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Back in 1982, Bill Bossert, who had a BB Card Shop in Swarthmore, PA had a complete 100-card sheet of the 1952 TOPPS Hi #s.
It was quite a sight to be seen with Double-Printed Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson, and Bobby Thomson cards on it.
The partial sheet in Post #1 here represents the lower-most right quarter of the complete Hi # sheet.

Whatever you do....leave it intact.

I collect uncut sheets BOWMAN, FLEER, LEAF, TOPPS, and a few pre-war sheets. Needless to say, the older they are, the scarcer
they are, nowadays.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Cliff

Excellent simulation of the '52T Hi #s sheet.

Regarding the complete 100-card sheet I saw 40 years ago (noted above), if I recall correctly Rob Lifson acquired it.

Perhaps, with some luck, he may have a photo of it. I will try to contact him about it.

Incidentally, here's partial 1st Series (cards #1 - 80) uncut sheet. TOPPS printed their sheets in formats of 100 cards.
This one represents cards #51 - 80 (with the row containing cards #51 - 60 Double-Printed).

TED Z
Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1952 Topps High Number Complete Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
On another thread someone posted a scan of a partial 1952 Topps 25 card high number sheet, Ted Z commented that it is the bottom right corner of the full sheet. That got me wondering if I could reconstruct the whole sheet if I could find more partial sheets. I was able to find two more partial 25 card sheets so I figured that would be enough to give it a try. After sleuthing through the three sheets it dawned on me that the cards were all numbered sequentially, so I was able to piece them together in the correct order. The sheet with Davey Williams as the first card is the upper right corner of the full sheet, the sheet with Mickey Mantle as the first card is the bottom left corner of the full sheet, and the sheet with Dick Rozek as the first card is the bottom right corner. I couldn't find the upper left corner partial that also starts with a Mickey Mantle double print. I will post everything I could find in the next few posts. First, here is what I believe the complete sheet is.

Hi Cliff Bowman....interesting coincidence, since I'm about to talk of the BOWMAN cards. I applaud your research on this. As I said in another thread on this subject:
in 1982 I was fortunate to see a complete 100-card sheet of 1952 TOPPS Hi #s. My recollection is in agreement with your simulated 1952 sheet arrangement.

Here is an illustration of my simulated BOWMAN uncut 6th series sheet. This is not guess-work. I visited with the BOWMAN's design Executive, George Moll, in 1982.
He showed me many of BOWMAN's uncut sheets. And he talked about the printing process. Zabel Brothers, Inc. was BOWMAN's printer in Philadelphia. They printed
the 1948 - 1952 cards using a 4-color process with a 38-inch (track width) press. To compete with TOPPS in 1953, they switched to a larger press (43-inch track).

TOPPS printed their 1952 cards using a similar process, but on a wider press (53-inch), which accommodated 2 adjacent 100-card sheets (as my BOWMAN example
illustrates).

l<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 38-inches -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->l

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Cliff---thanks for the posts !!!!
Old 05-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Al Richter

Meticulous work as usual Cliff