NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Eric Perry

Default OT: PM with offers

I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 05-09-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.

You know why cause they’re afraid of missing the boat..... they see these ridiculous sale numbers in certain Auction houses so they think shit I can sell mine for that...while in the back of their head they know it’s most likely some shady crap going on but they say oh well here let’s try net54 lest amount of risk with chance...most of the time they’re fooling themselves ....
Old 05-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
You know why cause they’re afraid of missing the boat..... they see these ridiculous sale numbers in certain Auction houses so they think shit I can sell mine for that...while in the back of their head they know it’s most likely some shady crap going on but they say oh well here let’s try net54 lest amount of risk with chance...most of the time they’re fooling themselves ....
The boat sailed in February. They've missed it. The market has been dipping since then.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Fred

Quote:

Old 05-09-2021, 03:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
The boat sailed in February. They've missed it. The market has been dipping since then.
Exactly I like your style you know why because you speak the truth !

Jan-March Many Sales In Certain Auctions we’re We’re Fantasy
Old 05-09-2021, 03:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

and to add a like to the end of that list of the original post:

If you don't want to make an offer when a seller asks for offers, then keep your powder dry and don't take them to task by telling them how to sell.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Justin

Quote:

Literally millions of ebay listing have a super high price with "or best offer." I dont see this as different.

If you want a card make just make a fair offer. Personally I have had much more luck doing so here on net54 than on ebay.

Some people like to haggle (myself included) back and forth a bit.
Lots of us are not dealer. If you don't like that type of transaction just avoid them.

I'd rather see these listings than the ones with firm prices trying to set record prices. And I bet if you search BST you will find far more of the latter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Matt

I've seen this "phenomenon" around the hobby lately myself. Imagine going into a store to buy, say, a pair of jeans. You don't see a price tag. You ask the sales clerk, "Excuse me, what's the price on these jeans?" Their response: "What do you think they're worth? Make an offer."

I think it's an extreme form of fishing. It's one thing for a collector to be willing to sell a piece only if the price is anomalously high. It's another in my opinion to not even set a price. I think it is incumbent upon a seller to put a price tag on an item, no matter how high. Just one buyer's opinion and an owner is free to do whatever they like. I just find it coy and move along.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-09-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 PM
D@vid L@dd

Other forums require a price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I love this place and the BST, If you post a card I want without an ask I'll just PM you and start a conversation. Same on the other side, I'll always post a price but would expect someone interested to PM me and talk about a deal. I know what I want to pay within reason, I also know where my line is that I would rather put it back in my collection. I've also done deals that had nothing to do with the original for sale item just from talking about collecting needs & wants. Its also nice to keep an eye out for cards that you know other members are looking for that you might come across in the outside world.

It's all good stuff and a lot of fun. Especially when you make new friendships & connections in this hobby.

And to quote a seller that is no longer here just so he is never forgotten.

"Thanks for the many inquires, still available..."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-09-2021, 04:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think they hope someone posts

"I'll take it"

Oddly, Then they'll have sellers remorse

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

Does that mean you'll periodically bump this thread for the next several years with no resolution, or do you want me to?
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Chris Rudd

I see some of you are okay with the "PM me" side. I'm curious how receptive you would be if that happened at a card show where the dealer didn't have prices showing on their card and asked you for an offer. It really is the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbnut; 05-09-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Eric Perry

Edited:

Sorry, I had the wrong former board member in mind.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 05-09-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I agree that I like to see prices and that most of the time it’s the way to go. However I collect a lot of very rare stuff that many times there is 0 or close to it in the way of comparable sales to point to and guesstimate price/value. For really rare stuff sometimes the seller genuinely has no idea how to price or guess value and want to see what people will offer.

I’m also of the opinion that less rules in general is better and I like the freedom and lack of overreach from Leon! It may be annoying to see a listing with no price but we can always ignore them. Also if a price were required and there were more rules in general it would likely decrease the amount of listings we get to see offered here as some sellers would just go elsewhere. I’d rather let the free market dictate things and see as many offerings here as possible.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 05-09-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:20 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
I see some of you are okay with the "PM me" side. I'm curious how receptive you would be if that happened at a card show where the dealer didn't have prices showing on their card and asked you for an offer. It really is the same thing.

Bugs the heck outta me!

I guess if you have to ask, you cant afford it

Old 05-09-2021, 05:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think I have priced everything I have listed here, but if someone doesn't want to why should it bother me? I can always make an offer and either it leads to a successful negotiation or it doesn't.

I do think people will do better with a price, but it is up to them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-09-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Bob Donaldson

I just move on to the next listing. Same as at a show where I've learned that it is not worth the bother to ask for a price, wait for the dealer to look it up in a price guide and quote me a NM price on a VG/EX card; much more than what I was willing to pay.

But to each their own..
Old 05-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Howard Chasser

Default my 2 cents

I think some of that has been a function of how nuts the market has been. As a seller, before the craziness, I used to price all my cards and list them on Flickr. During the craziness, I removed the prices on some of the high demand graded cards - I would still quote a price to an interested buyer, but that price at times over the past few months sometimes had daily fluctuation. Almost all the time I post on the BST , I price the cards I am offering, occasionally in the case of some rarities I have offered "best offer above xx$$ by a certain day and time".

From the buy-side, I understand the frustration and dislike of the practice, but as mentioned in a previous post - if I don't like it, I just move on.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Chris Rudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I think some of that has been a function of how nuts the market has been. As a seller, before the craziness, I used to price all my cards and list them on Flickr. During the craziness, I removed the prices on some of the high demand graded cards - I would still quote a price to an interested buyer, but that price at times over the past few months sometimes had daily fluctuation. Almost all the time I post on the BST , I price the cards I am offering, occasionally in the case of some rarities I have offered "best offer above xx$$ by a certain day and time".

From the buy-side, I understand the frustration and dislike of the practice, but as mentioned in a previous post - if I don't like it, I just move on.
That's okay. At some restaurants the price is "Market Rate." But that should be an exception to the rule for a truly hot card.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I agree that I like to see prices and that most of the time it’s the way to go. However I collect a lot of very rare stuff that many times there is 0 or close to it in the way of comparable sales to point to and guesstimate price/value. For really rare stuff sometimes the seller genuinely has no idea how to price or guess value and want to see what people will offer.

I’m also of the opinion that less rules in general is better and I like the freedom and lack of overreach from Leon! It may be annoying to see a listing with no price but we can always ignore them. Also if a price were required and there were more rules in general it would likely decrease the amount of listings we get to see offered here as some sellers would just go elsewhere. I’d rather let the free market dictate things and see as many offerings here as possible.
You make a good point Erick,
If we are talking about fairly common cards like 50's Topps for example I would expect an asking price to be published, if your talking about a super rare T206 back for example I would expect a more subtle transaction to take place where it may be a few conversations before a deal is struck.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-09-2021, 06:02 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

LOL. For some reason an image of Hans Peter Wagner came to mind......

I'm sure there must've been many inquiries in the 20 or so years that portrait was listed. I think it was bumped more times than Honus had hits.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
LOL. For some reason an image of Hans Peter Wagner came to mind......

I'm sure there must've been many inquiries in the 20 or so years that portrait was listed. I think it was bumped more times than Honus had hits.
That thread has just over 25,000 views, and Wagner had 3,420 career hits. That’s over a 7:1 ratio of views to hits. At around the 5:1 Mark is where I would’ve said consign the thing, but to each his own.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
That thread has just over 25,000 views, and Wagner had 3,420 career hits. That’s over a 7:1 ratio of views to hits. At around the 5:1 Mark is where I would’ve said consign the thing, but to each his own.
I wanted to say that about a dozen times as well. But thought I had previously heard some forum rule against posting negative statements in peoples' BST listings. So decided to just grin, bear it and say nothing.

Maybe we'll see old Honus in a real auction some day!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I just move on to the next listing. Same as at a show where I've learned that it is not worth the bother to ask for a price, wait for the dealer to look it up in a price guide and quote me a NM price on a VG/EX card; much more than what I was willing to pay.

But to each their own..
Whoa... I'm having a deja vu moment here. I am with you, I typically bypass tables (and BST posts) without a price. I have a huge wantlist so there is always something else to spend my money on.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I wanted to say that about a dozen times as well. But thought I had previously heard some forum rule against posting negative statements in peoples' BST listings. So decided to just grin, bear it and say nothing.

Maybe we'll see old Honus in a real auction some day!
There are almost no rules in the BST areas, however, we don't want members making any comments in those threads unless they are nice in nature. The fewer rules the better. Caveat Emptor and always PM me or another moderator with anything that looks suspicious or out of line.

One of my fave BST pickups several years ago..

Last edited by Leon; 05-10-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:52 AM
Robert Williams

I am afraid the card bubble has burst a little bit. I wonder is some sellers realize that.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:28 AM

This is almost as irritating as the people who run buy ads followed by PM your best price. If you are initiating a buy or sell ad, you need to have a price and not wasting my time.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM
And.y Ell.is

I understand the rules, but I also don't think its unreasonable to put an asking price on a card your selling. When a person asks to make an offer, I always feel
like they are looking for the highest offer, and that's fine. I just don't know if this person is playing games, for all I know, I made the only offer, but keep telling me someone else went higher than me. I'm not saying that this happens, but I have NO way of knowing. I just don't bother with these posts and its not just here its lots of places. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default If you are not a haggler

How To Sell on BST Without Wasting Your Time

Price your item too low (by at least 50% is recommended)

Wait 2 minutes

If you don’t have five “I’ll take it”s, your price is too high.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-10-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
Ha, was going to post same thing. It's just a game as others have mentioned. Basically saying "It's probably worth $1200, but it you want to offer me $3000, who am I to say no."

I know eBay has the same process in place to make an offer, but I don't waste any more time on any such listings on BST. Never go anywhere. If you want to sell something name your price.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65 View Post
some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
very true....

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 AM

Default I don't see it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am afraid the card bubble has burst a little bit. I wonder is some sellers realize that.

..Maybe for pre-war only ? ...I was watching two '57 Brooks Robinson low end fillers' auctions , a PSA 2 and a PSA 3.5 and they both wound up way over $400......it's getting curiouser and curiouser out there.....I wonder if that $1400 from Dee Cee has something to do with the temporary insanity.....you can't go near any '50's HOF players right now......I'm even thinking of putting together a few dozen '50's Topps PSA 6's , 7's , and 8's to be consigned to that feller out in Oregon to be in on and part of the feeding frenzy , ....even commons in a PSA holder are just going up like rockets........it cannot possibly last , can it ?.......OMG the Dow just hit 35.....sheesh...

Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I honestly don't care what sellers do...but as 99% a buyer here, if there is no price, it's not for sale, from my point of view. I know the values of the cards I'm interested in and the last thing I want to do is offend someone who is looking for more than fair value...which to me saying "make me an offer" is the goal.

I have noticed our BST...of which I LOVE and am a regular buyer...has more and more offered items well above Ebay...when I first joined here there were many more "good deals". No fees, no taxes. Anyway, I have only had one deal here that went "south" (condition no where near described) and I just let it go as it wasn't that big of a deal...everything else has been outstanding. The fact Leon doesn't charge us an annual fee or something to partake is quite generous of him!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
By burst a bit I am seeing things leveling out for sure...there was a period where post war anyway pricing was different daily...but last month or so there has been consistency from what I have seen...a new consistency...but nothing I'm looking at has gone backwards any...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
By burst a bit I am seeing things leveling out for sure...there was a period where post war anyway pricing was different daily...but last month or so there has been consistency from what I have seen...a new consistency...but nothing I'm looking at has gone backwards any...
That's what I have seeing as well in low grade prewar stuff.

The very high grade may be coming back to earth but I don't follow that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Rob

Quote:

Some items can't be easily priced so I see no problem accepting offers. If it bothers you, shop elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post

Why would this bother anyone? When does a card ever sell for the asking price anyway?
Old 05-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think I have priced everything I have listed here, but if someone doesn't want to why should it bother me? I can always make an offer and either it leads to a successful negotiation or it doesn't.

I do think people will do better with a price, but it is up to them.

I can say...Without a doubt, this is not true.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:27 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

We can bitch about the bst threads, but I've had some sales and bought some cards. It works!

Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
How? I've not seen this as too big an issue on BST, and I understand doing it on very rare items. But especially at shows, when I see 50/60s Topps cards all without prices, I just walk on to the next dealer. I know a lot of people who do the same. If you do this your losing potential customers. Doesn't make sense to me
Old 05-10-2021, 05:26 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I dont belive for one second n54 collectors aren't in tune with the market.

I've notice n54 buyers are notriously the cheapest, as many of my items sell for higher, even after fees, eventually on ebay!

Old 05-10-2021, 05:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

I've notice n54 buyers are notriously the cheapest, as many of my items sell for higher, even after fees, eventually on ebay!
It's not apples to apples. Memorabilia and cards are inherently different.

But I do agree with you that net54 Buyers tend to be let's say "thrifty".
Old 05-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

That made me laugh….OBC too I would add in as Notoriously the cheapest.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That made me laugh….OBC too I would add in as Notoriously the cheapest.
I am the cheapest, hands down.

Another BST purchase... Personally I have seen some great cards and great deals there.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
How? I've not seen this as too big an issue on BST, and I understand doing it on very rare items. But especially at shows, when I see 50/60s Topps cards all without prices, I just walk on to the next dealer. I know a lot of people who do the same. If you do this your losing potential customers. Doesn't make sense to me
Oh yes...If you're setting up tables at a show and you don't have items priced, then you're probably hurting yourself. I'm talking about one-off sales, which BST tends to be and which the OP was complaining about. I don't sell cards and what I do sell often doesn't have much, if any, sales history to go off of.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It's not apples to apples. Memorabilia and cards are inherently different.

But I do agree with you that net54 Buyers tend to be let's say "thrifty".
Net54 members are like PacMan Jones "Making it rain" in a strip joint compared to Facebook buyers, who are the "let me think about it and never get back to you" kings of the collecting jungle.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Net54 members are like PacMan Jones "Making it rain" in a strip joint compared to Facebook buyers, who are the "let me think about it and never get back to you" kings of the collecting jungle.
I'm a member of a few collecting groups on Facebook, but I don't see myself making a deal there. While the occasional BST deal goes bad here, at least the moderators are willing to step in. Facebook seems like the Wild West.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:10 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Default Gehrig/Ruth/Young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There are almost no rules in the BST areas, however, we don't want members making any comments in those threads unless they are nice in nature. The fewer rules the better. Caveat Emptor and always PM me or another moderator with anything that looks suspicious or out of line.

One of my fave BST pickups several years ago..

This is labeled Gehrig/Ruth, but I think Cy Young is the older fellow in the middle.

In the pic below, Cy is sitting, far right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2222.jpg (80.6 KB, 345 views)