NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-12-2021, 11:13 AM

Default Question about 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set

I have always wondered why the one card in this set was short-printed.Card #68 seems to be hard to find and can be a bit pricey when you do find it.So how were the sheets made so that only one card was short-printed,With it being only an 80 card set I would just assume that it would be easy to make sheets with 80 cards and have them cut.So I thought I would ask the very knowledgeable baseball collectors here on this site.PLMK your thought and reason why this may have happened.Thanks.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:37 AM

#68 had to be removed from the set because it pictured Bucky Harris who was under contract with Topps. I don’t know what card replaced it on the sheet, I’m guessing they double printed another card in its place. ETA, I did not know this but I read in an article about the card that #68 was apparently not even distributed in wax packs, someone had to write to Fleer and request a #68 and Fleer would send them one, similar to the 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie unissued card.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 05-12-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-12-2021, 01:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
#68 had to be removed from the set because it pictured Bucky Harris who was under contract with Topps. I don’t know what card replaced it on the sheet, I’m guessing they double printed another card in its place. ETA, I did not know this but I read in an article about the card that #68 was apparently not even distributed in wax packs, someone had to write to Fleer and request a #68 and Fleer would send them one, similar to the 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie unissued card.
If that's true, they may have just tossed most of them when they cut the sheets.
The late 80's K-Mart set sheet had lots of non- card spaces and a few of the cards pulled from modern sets were similarly just removed during cutting.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Well thank you very much.I appreciate you letting me know.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1959 FLEER set

Quote:
Well said, Cliff.

Furthermore, TOPPS had an exclusive contract with Ted (1954 - 1958). And, TOPPS became very upset with Ted Williams
for giving FLEER the Rights to print his story on their 1959 BB cards. Incidentally, FLEER paid Ted $5000 for these Rights.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 05-12-2021 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm pretty sure it is a myth that Card 68 never even made it into packs, simply because it is not very difficult at all. PSA has graded over 1,000 of them, it's clearly short printed and relatively tougher, but it hardly as rare as its reputation suggests. There are over 20 of them (real ones) on eBay right now.

I would be interested to know what card possibly replaced it on the sheet part way through the run (and is thus a partial DP), but have never seen uncut material that would place a different card in its slot.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:50 PM

From The Topps Archives by Dave Hornish here is the letter that Fleer sent to people who wrote to them inquiring about the #68 card:
Due to the possibility of legal overtones, card #68 was not put on the market for sale. However, it was made and we have been able to send several to people such as you that have inquired.
As we are new to the card business we certainly do not want have any ill feelings among card collectors. Therefore I am forwarding you a number of our card #68.
As stated in your letter we request there is no charge is made for any of these cards.
Fleer definitely intends to stay in the card business and will produce more baseball cards when the opportunity arises.
Cordially,
Art Wolfe
Assistant Promotion Manager
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 fleer letter.jpg (45.7 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 05-12-2021 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 05-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I've seen the letter, and do not doubt some were mailed out like this like the 33 Goudey Lajoie, but the very large surviving population seems to indicate this card was probably packed out early in the run. Due to the legal issues, I doubt Fleer would have told collectors this. The card is awfully common to be something given out only in an unadvertised response to a letter. "Several" vs. thousands.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:26 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I've seen the letter, and do not doubt some were mailed out like this like the 33 Goudey Lajoie, but the very large surviving population seems to indicate this card was probably packed out early in the run. Due to the legal issues, I doubt Fleer would have told collectors this. The card is awfully common to be something given out only in an unadvertised response to a letter. "Several" vs. thousands.
There's stories of some collectors getting them in packs when issued, sometimes multiples even. The first press run, or part of it, which probably centered around Philly and environs, likely made it out the door with #68 before it got shut down. I know Topps had the ability to physically remove certain cards just before packaging, I assume Fleer could do so as well.

Fleer also had wax packs with no gum in 1959 (they added more cards to them). I think some #68's escaped in these as the Topps contract would specify they had Bucky's rights for cards sold with gum or confections.

Last edited by toppcat; 05-12-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:35 PM

All this information is very much appreciated.I realize that there are lots on eBay but all seem to be quite pricey. I see there is also a partial part of an uncut sheet on there right now that has card #68 on it.Nice item but not my cup of tea.So I guess if I want a complete set I will have no choice but buckle down and pay the price.Thanks again to all that have shared information on this set.