NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Baseball Card - Questions (Mickey Mantle & Willie Mays)

Posted By: Anonymous

Hello To Everyone

I'm posted these cards to ask questions, how would I figure out these cards are real thing and not fake?

The most interesting piece Mantle Topps 1952 rookie & Willie Mays 1951 rookie; Can anyone give me a suggestion or ideas on these cards? I would like to buy these cards from the seller.

thanks you very much.
ryan,

Old 09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...fake, under the "if you have to ask" rule.

But a couple of scans would be nice...

It would also be nice if the question applied to players who played prior to World War II, as this is a pre-war forum...

Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

if you have scans please post. There are a lot of fakes for 52 Mantle so watch out.

If you can't post them you could maybe email them to people.
by the way, what kind of condition are they in?

Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...posted twice.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I answered a very similar 52 Mantle question on my Q & A column about two weeks ago. It's about four or five questions down:

http://www.cycleback.com/qanda.html

The Mays is smaller but made smaller size.

The key is that both cards are on darker old-timey cardboard stock, and the front white borders are 'whitewashed' and have a different consistency then the back. If you look at the edge (thickness of the cards) they should be cardboard teture/color just like the back. The backs are matte and never glossy.

In the end, if you are unsure, you don't have to buy the cards and could get them somewhere else graded by PSA or SGC.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One thing I was reminded of reading my own column is that, as the real Mantle and Mays are on heavy cardboard, they should let no light through when held up to a bright light source like a desk lamp. Many of the reprints, likely including Topps' own reprints, will let through light as they are on different, lighter stock.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

BBJunks: we do have a section of this board which specialize4s in cards from the 50s. To get there from here, near the top of the original screen, in the grey area, a little left of center you will see a baseball with some red and white words through it. Cilck on that and you will be brought to the best area to post your inquiry. Everyone there collects the cards which you are interested in.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks...I will always take a helping hand. I thought I was perfect but my wife told me I'm not so I guess I'm not.... The Post War forum would be better suited for this question, no doubt. kindest regards