NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Hal Lewis

There is one currently taking place, and I am wondering if anyone has participated in one like this before?

You can no longer make any bids on-line ... and now only people attending the auction can bid.

Anyone think there are deals to be had in auctions like this, or do the "hawks" attend in person and buy everything anyway??

Old 08-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Jason Smith

I bid on some Hunt stuff, but, like you I suspect that people who show up there will be willing to bid high enough to take it. I guess I'll find out pretty soon though.
Jason

Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Probably the actual one he was wearing when his N28 Allen & Ginter card was made!!!

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=19&lot_num=1150&lot_qual=

Should be interesting to see what it goes for...

Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

been there in person and bid and won and then also have sent in absentee bids and won (at lower than my max bid as well........). Always top notch auctions. I found it EXTREMELY enjoyable going in person. I only went because there was a significant amount of 19th century stuff a couple years ago. I won about $8K worth of stuff in about 5-6 lots. Was very satisfied with what I paid although they weren't actually 'STEALS'. I do see some really decent prices from their auctions as well. There were 75-100 people there in person when I went with about 8-10 phone stations to receive phone bids.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Needless to say...

my bid was CRUSHED as it sold for $90,000:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=19&lot_num=1149&lot_qual=

Old 08-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Aaron M.

I've participated regularly in the Hunt auctions via live telephone bidding for the past couple of years and always had very positive experiences. (Some of the best pieces in my collection have come from Hunt's.) Their staff is unfailing friendly and accommodating throughout the process (from requesting pictures to their manner on the phone when bidding live--they've called me on my cell phone where I won a plate while attending a UCLA basketball game at Pauley Pavilion and a jersey and pin while attending a wedding in Riverside) and you can generally pick up good deals due to the format (much better than say Mastro or Lelands).

I got a great price on a 1940's Athletics jersey today, but missed out on the two items I really wanted. Still, going back to May's Robert Edward Auction, this has been a great summer for my collection.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

for the Keefe shirt?

Old 08-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

...Includes LOA from SCD Authentic David Bushing/Dan Knoll and letter of provenance from the Keefe family...

Old 08-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Paul

$75K for the Keefe jersey sounds like a relative bargain to me, though far beyond my means. Don't Mantle jerseys sell for much more than that? I don't think I'll be alone on this board saying I'd rather have a Keefe than a Mantle.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Brian H

in fact it belongs more than several players who have been inducted including Geo. Kelley, Rube Marquard, Jesse Haines, Tommy McCarthy (I could go on).

Old 08-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Elliot

huh?? Keefe is in the HOF.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Paul

I think he means the Keefe JERSEY belongs in the Hall of Fame more than the fourth-rate PLAYERS that he mentioned.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auctions

Posted By: Scoe

I was able to reserve a phone line for the lots I was interested in. They call you several lots before the one you want to bid on, and when it comes time to bid let you know what $ amount the bidding is on. They were unfailing in calling me. The bidding was very competitive but I still came away with some nice t206 lots at a good if not bargain price. Very nice, professional staff.