NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 PM
Robert Klevens

Default Japanese player on the Giants in 1905

I ran across a couple of articles about a Japanese player named Shumza Sugimoto who according to the article played for the Cuban Giants in the summer of 1904 and tried out for the New York Giants in 1905. I would be interested in finding out any information about him or if possible a photo if it exists. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sugimoto3.jpg (47.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg sugimoto5.jpg (76.8 KB, 263 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I started researching this story a few years ago for my website, then started again this spring when I was writing my book. Unfortunately I only got as far as a couple newspaper articles that all seem to be from the same source.

The Cuban Giants were a top-notch traveling blackball team at the time and fairly well covered in newspapers. When the Cuban Giants came to town it was a big deal back then and the added attraction of a Japanese ballplayer would have certainly turned heads and left a trail of newsprint. Since there weren't many Japanese ballplayers in the U.S. in 1905 it would seem that his story would have been fairly easy to research, but I came up with zip.

It seems others have also found this story intriguing and have not found anything else substantial on it. Here is a link to a blog about two researchers trying to find out about Sugimoto.

I hope someone can find something on this guy, it's a neat story, but part of me thinks it was McGraw pulling a sports writer's leg, or a bored scribe having fun. It kind of reminded me of an 1887 newspaper article about the White Sox signing a Chinese pitcher named Teang Wong Fu.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 AM

Wow this is neat...as someone of Japanese heritage and a baseball fan...thanks for the links....

Ricky Y
Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

When I was looking into this I also was thinking that since Sugimoto doesn't appear anywhere else, MAYBE McGraw was trying to pull a "Chief Tokohama" again.

Back in 1901 McGraw tried to pass off blackball star Charley Grant as an American Indian named Chief Tokohama. McGraw discovered Grant in Hot Springs where many black ballplayers wintered, playing baseball for the various upscale hotels to amuse the guests. McGraw concocted the fake ID and signed Grant to a Baltimore Orioles contract. The reasoning was that an American Indians playing in the big leagues would not be that big of a deal as opposed to trying to re-integrate the game.

The ruse fell apart before the season started and Grant went on to have a nice long career with the Cuban X Giants and Philadelphia Giants.

Could Sugimoto have been another black ballplayer McGraw found playing in the Hot Springs Hotel League?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:08 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

found this online:

1 - John McGraw – Fifty-three years before the Giants moved to San Francisco, manager John McGraw tried to sign an outfielder from Japan named Shumza Sugimoto. The potential signing was met with resistance fueled by a wave of anti-Asian sentiment in organized ball. The color line was officially drawn against Asian players in 1905 (McGraw instead signed outfielder Archibald “Moonlight” Graham). The color line against Asian players would not be broken until 1964 – 17 years after Jackie Robinson broke into the majors – when Japanese pitcher Masanori Murakami pitched for the San Francisco Giants.

2 - New York Giants manager John McGraw invites Japanese outfielder Shumza Sugimoto to try out for the team in Hot Springs, AR. The press acknowledges “the color line” potentially drawn against Sugimoto, so he chooses to play for the semi-pro New Orleans Creoles in LA.

3- https://homeplatedontmove.wordpress....umza-sugimoto/

4- - http://www.honus.fr/exclusif-le-prem...r-pro-japonais
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-25-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Robert Klevens

Thanks for sharing the information. I found another article from 1911 about a player trying out with the Cubs. This player's last name is also Sugimoto. I found no follow up on him either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itosugimoto.jpg (72.5 KB, 193 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 AM
pariah1107

Here's another article on Sugimoto from the February 24, 1905, Oakland Tribune, with some bizarre reasoning of the "color line":

The 1905 Oakland Tribune had at least four articles in February alone on "the color line", probably an effort to exclude Bill Pettus from integrating Bay area teams as he had in 1904.

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-25-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Br.ent So.bie

I'd love to hear what Turkey Mike did to almost get his neck broken.