NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-29-2021, 07:00 PM
Mikeknapp

Default EBAY account Hacked

My eBay account was hacked today. Apparently this was accomplished through a hack of my email. Thankfully I caught it pretty quickly. The thief was buying over 2K worth of computer parts. He wasn’t terribly bright as he left his mailing address in Palo Alto in my account as well as his cell phone number and email address. I was lucky enough to emerge with my credit card, PayPal, and Amazon accounts unscathed. I was so relieved that I caught it in time I forgot to ask what if anything eBay does to perpetrators in such situations. Have any of you dealt with this issue?

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
My eBay account was hacked today. Apparently this was accomplished through a hack of my email. Thankfully I caught it pretty quickly. The thief was buying over 2K worth of computer parts. He wasn’t terribly bright as he left his mailing address in Palo Alto in my account as well as his cell phone number and email address. I was lucky enough to emerge with my credit card, PayPal, and Amazon accounts unscathed. I was so relieved that I caught it in time I forgot to ask what if anything eBay does to perpetrators in such situations. Have any of you dealt with this issue?
Yes
eBay, PayPal, and my bank all went silent on what happened. All I know is they gave me my cash back.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:28 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Nothing happens. My account got hacked too even though I have 2 Factor Authentication enabled. Ebay was of zero help. Like you, the hacker left his mailing address when he ordered some speaker parts but Ebay didnt seem to care
Old 01-29-2021, 07:30 PM
Mikeknapp

I’m curious if local law enforcement is even notified?

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Old 01-29-2021, 08:11 PM
Rob

Happened to me a couple months ago. Hacked my account and changed my password so I couldn't get in. Then every "help" or "contact us" link I tried on ebay kept prompting me for my password, rendering the site itself useless to me in this situation.

I was relieved to find a number for ebay via google until I called it and a recording directed me back to the website then hung up on me.

Eventually found another number with another recording and despite choosing the option for compromised account, still sat listening to elevator music for nearly 30 minutes. Eventually a human appeared on the line and helped me out....but not completely as it turns out.

They got me back into my account and helped me secure it with a new password. Advised me to change my passwords elsewhere as well just to be safe. Nothing had been purchased from my account and I didn't notice anything amiss. So I thought it was over.

At the time I had about 30 items listed for sale and luckily for the next few days nothing sold. Not sure how much time elapsed...maybe a week and I was reviewing my listings as I periodically do and I noticed something odd. On about a half dozen of the listings, the "pay to" Paypal address had been changed to the hacker's email address. Not sure if it being only a few was intentional so it was less likely to be detected or if I reacted to the hack quickly enough to prevent further damage. Glad I didn't have 3,000 listings to check. But it definitely left me with a "son of a bitch" attitude towards ebay, feeling like they didn't do much except get me back into my account...like a cop slim jimming your car door when you lock yourself out. Why can't they detect if changes have been made?

This left a very bad taste in my mouth and I don't sell on ebay anymore as I don't trust them with my social. They have to show they care about security much more than they did in this situation before I'll reconsider.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:11 PM

Wow, Mike, very scary!
I'm glad to hear that things appear to have worked out OK.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:34 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Scott I was very lucky. Rob you repeated my experience virtually verbatim. My PayPal was used for a $20 of Bitcoin which is being reimbursed. My credit card canceled any purchases as well so I was very fortunate. I had the two step verification as well. However since the thief changed my phone number he got the code and continuously changed the password. It doesn’t shock me that nothing is done about it. I was tempted to tell this story on Twitter and post his email but then had second thoughts. I should just be happy that I seemed to walk away inconvenienced and not financially harmed.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:07 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Not only should you out the clown on twitter and facebook, you should call the local police to pay him a visit or make a call to let him know he is on the radar. Otherwise he'll keep doing it...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
Mikeknapp

I reported a complaint of identity theft with the Palo Alto police department. I provided them with the thief’s email, phone number, and mailing address. I am not outing the thief as I didn’t want to alert him/her that law enforcement is now involved. Although I was lucky there are likely others who were not as fortunate. I will let you know the outcome.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Clint

So what’s the link or phone number where you actually got to talk to a person? Never know when someone might need it. Hate thief’s and sorry it happened to you.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:54 PM
Mikeknapp

I had to sign into eBay as a guest and use the chat feature. They took my info and had the fraud department call me. It was about a 20 min wait for a return call.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Clint

Quote:
I had to sign into eBay as a guest and use the chat feature. They took my info and had the fraud department call me. It was about a 20 min wait for a return call.
Thank you!
Old 02-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Mikeknapp

Palo Alto PD rejected my online report via email because there was suspect info included. I was provided a phone number to call. I called and was told that I needed to contact my own local PD. I asked why if the suspects address was Palo Alto and the phone number was Palo Alto? The explanation was that it could be someone in another country having the package delivered to a vacant home where they would then travel to and take the package off the porch. So I asked to clarify, “An international criminal using a Palo Alto address and phone number used my eBay account to purchase video cards and that suspect would fly to Palo Alto to steal a package from a house that is not currently vacant?” I realize that this isn’t a historic crime but it would seem they might want to at least have a patrolman knock on a door? I can see why such thieves feel impervious.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 PM
Mikeknapp

Contacted my local police department. They told me to contact FBI at ic3.gov and file a report if I wanted to follow through with a report.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:16 PM
George

Quote:
The explanation was that it could be someone in another country having the package delivered to a vacant home where they would then travel to and take the package off the porch. So I asked to clarify, “An international criminal using a Palo Alto address and phone number used my eBay account to purchase video cards and that suspect would fly to Palo Alto to steal a package from a house that is not currently vacant?”
Well, that's certainly one way to rack up frequent flyer miles ...
Old 02-02-2021, 08:49 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Palo Alto PD seems lazy...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM
Mikeknapp

I’m certain eBay crimes aren’t high on their list of priorities. Although frustrating I understand they have more pressing matters to attend to that involve public health and safety. I guess the lesson learned is that crime on the internet is going to happen with little repercussions for the perpetrators. I will take online security much more seriously going forward. I did file the FBI report as I can’t complain if I don’t follow through on my end.