NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Benj.amin Mc.Ginn

Default Mickey Mantle Signature REAL or FAKE?

Just purchased this Mickey Mantle at an estate auction.
I hoping that the signature is real, since I paid a decent amount for it.
If any of you can help me out verifying the authenticity, I would greatly appreciate it. I was told to take it to PSA/DNA but I looked up the authentication fee and it is $100. Thanks for all of your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fi56.cgi.jpg (9.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg mickey mantle.jpg (63.0 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by filmmaker; 02-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that's bad...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Wait for some others that know a lot more than I about Mantle, but my initial thought is no good (again, let Jim, David, Shelly (among others) give an opinion before getting too bummed out. I am just trying to challenge my budding Mantle expertise.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Christopher Williams

Typical Mantle piece-of-crap forgery from the 1990's.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Jeff P0tter

Unfortunately that is not an authentic Mickey Mantle autograph, sorry.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Jim M.arinari

Is that a faux marble plaque?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Is that a faux marble plaque?
Is it fairly safe to say that any 8x10 that is signed and displayed in one of those marble plaques has got a 95%+ chance of being junk? Seems like there is never a lack of high profile player autographs in similar display set ups.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM

Default JimStinson

Weak effort at a Mantle from a source we probably all know.
Would make a fine Christmas Gift to a youngster you don't like.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Benj.amin Mc.Ginn

Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I may be able to return it. If not, i can eat it since I didnt pay too too much. Thanks again
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I may be able to return it. If not, i can eat it since I didnt pay too too much. Thanks again
If they don't let you return it let them know you are reporting them to the local authorities for selling fake memorabilia, the last thing any auction house wants is a fraud investigation.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Perry Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottnat View Post
Is it fairly safe to say that any 8x10 that is signed and displayed in one of those marble plaques has got a 95%+ chance of being junk? Seems like there is never a lack of high profile player autographs in similar display set ups.
The only exception are the ones Stack of Plaques sold.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
In the begining of your post you state "I Paid a decent amount for it" and then later you state the above, Whats up with that or did I read it wrong ?

If an autograph is not real $1.00 is "paying too much"
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
In the begining of your post you state "I Paid a decent amount for it" and then later you state the above, Whats up with that or did I read it wrong ?

If an autograph is not real $1.00 is "paying too much"
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM

I learned the hard way that estate sales are a tool for selling fake items. The person that was running the sale probably bought that item on Coaches Corner and then figured they would flip it to an unsuspecting buyer at the estate sale. The intent is that buyers at estate sales figure estate sale = old items = vintage sports items = must be real. Your desire to get a deal works against you.

My advice would be to contact the person running the estate sale immediately to return the item due to having questions about the authenticity.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottnat View Post
100% in my neck of the woods. I try to evaluate each signature regardless of COA, presentation, etc., but it is nearly impossible to do.

In order to save my time, I now automatically ignore:
1) 5 x 7's
2) most of these marbled monstrosities
3) COA's from the infamous
4) an ever-growing number of images / combos.

The exception being when I feel up to proving to the owner / auctioneer that they are forgeries.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
I learned the hard way that estate sales are a tool for selling fake items. The person that was running the sale probably bought that item on Coaches Corner and then figured they would flip it to an unsuspecting buyer at the estate sale. The intent is that buyers at estate sales figure estate sale = old items = vintage sports items = must be real. Your desire to get a deal works against you.

My advice would be to contact the person running the estate sale immediately to return the item due to having questions about the authenticity.
That probably did NOT come from CC.
You got to go south to the Sunshine State for that one.
These photos get on a plane and fly all over the country now.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Default JimStinson

I am no expert on "ESTATE SALES" but as I recall the words "ALL SALES FINAL" will be displayed somewhere, probably in bold capital letters which makes them the ideal "outsourcing outlet" for weasels that like to pee in the autograph collecting pond.
Typically its a "rite of passage" for new collectors to get burned for the first time at "estate sales"

Tags
autograph, mickey mantle, photo, signed, yankees