NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Baseball Team Tintype Photo

This is my first post here and thanks very much for having me. I recently acquired this baseball tintype photo and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or information about it. I am attaching a few photos and a close up of one of the player's jersey. It is roughly 3.75 x 5 inches in size. The team jersey says "B. Actives" So, I believe the name of the team to be the "Actives" and maybe the "B." stands for the city they are from or stands for baseball. Any thoughts? The image is a reverse image, so we flipped it around to be able to read it easier and zoomed in on the jersey. Each of the players have their position on their jersey and in the top row you can see CF, RF, LF, and C and appears to be a P down on the players below in the first row. You can see some baseball bats and a catcher's mask. I have researched catcher's masks and they didn't exist until 1876, so I believe the picture of course has to be after that year. I am an avid baseball fan and collector and thought some people might be interested in seeing this.

Disclaimer: I once posted a tintype photo on ebay and thought it might be a baseball team and took a lot of heat over it. I thought some people in the photo looked like several guys from a professional team and people thought I was completely nuts. I am not an expert and was actually just searching for more information. I am posting this because it made several people very upset on this board at that time. I accept responsibility for my error and understand if you do not want to comment on my post. I contacted someone who is an expert recently and they told me to take a hike because they remembered me. I am not trying to hide my identity or make something out of this. I am just hoping to fit in with the group as we share the same passion for baseball and maybe find out a little more about the history of this team. Thanks very much for your time and forgiveness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballteam1.jpg (73.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg baseballteam2.jpg (73.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20190104_185527.jpg (73.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome
Well, you said you aren't trying to hide your identity but did I miss seeing your name in your post somewhere? Of course there is the registration but if you want to be transparent it seems you would want members to know who you are? It doesn't sound like what you did before was a big deal but it sounds like you might have been a little mousey .....live and learn.
ps...not sure about the tintype right now. Assuming it's a catchers mask and other equipment it is neat but not super valuable unless there is something extraordinary about the content.

Last edited by Leon; 01-05-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Ethan

Default Tin

Cool image. Guessing late 1800s if not early 1900s. Price range at auction $180 -- $200...here on the BST board maybe $150. Wish I could be sure it's a baseball team...bats look a bit thin and long. Polo?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Cool image. Guessing late 1800s if not early 1900s. Price range at auction $180 -- $200...here on the BST board maybe $150. Wish I could be sure it's a baseball team...bats look a bit thin and long. Polo?
I think you can be sure it’s baseball with the player positions on the bib fronts. I also think you can likely date it to pre-1894, which is when bib- or shield-fronts disappear from the Spalding catalog.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 PM

I had seen that recently offered but backed off. It appears to be c. 1880 but the aging looked odd to me. I’ve seen lots of tintypes but they don’t typically age like this one. It’s possible that it looks that way because it’s later in the era of tintypes when the process may have changed slightly. Do you have a photo of the back that you can share?

Rob M
Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback. The front does have a lot of wear on it and the back is purely black. I am having a hard time getting images with my camera to be small enough to list here. Everything is too big and I am not technologically skilled enough to make the images smaller. I had to use someone else's camera to load it on here. It does seem right around the 1877 to 1890 range to me from the research that I did online. Actives and Active were the names of some of the first teams in baseball in the 1864 to 1880 era. I saw that the Wright and Ditson guide has 7 teams listed as being the Actives. None of the cities started with the letter B. So, maybe this is a later era and none of the players were recognizable to me. Not sure what the "B" stands for though but definitely thought it to be a baseball team because of the positions on the players bibs.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:23 PM

I know a lot of town teams had a secondary (or junior or "muffin") team. I wonder if the "B" could relate to that.

Rob M
Old 01-06-2019, 03:52 AM
Barry Sloate

The Wright & Ditson Guide listed teams with some prominence. The team pictured here is likely an unknown town team. I say it is around 1885-90, and while an interesting image it has some significant condition issues.

Tags
photo