NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-21-2024, 07:38 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Default Best Place for Modern PSA 10s?

Whats the best place to find modern PSA 10 baseball cards?? Im talking very obscure players from the late 80s to the mid 10s - players who mostly only played a few years tops (sometimes only 1 year or less). There are a handful of players Im searching for that have not turned up on eBay over the course of several years (graded 10, mind you). COMC skews heavily towards ungraded cards.

Where do you go to find graded cards for modern players that make you wonder who the heck submitted these cards in the first place?
Old 08-21-2024, 08:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Most big volume sellers like COMC, Four Sharp Corners, Dean's, Burbank, etc. have all their inventory on ebay I believe, so there's probably no off the beaten track places to go. Four Sharp is the most likely to have this sort of thing, IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post

Where do you go to find graded cards for modern players that make you wonder who the heck submitted these cards in the first place?
That's heavy risk submitting cards worth $0.25 and having to pay $15 (SGC) or $25 (PSA). No wonder they never show up on ebay.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-22-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:27 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, if you want them, you'll likely have to submit them yourself. We're no longer in the $6 grading specials for commons like 5 years ago. And we're miles away from the bulk grading that 4SC used to get where they could send a monster box of cards to PSA and get charged $2 to evaluate each card and only have to pay $5 or so for the ones that were determined to be PSA 10s for slabbing.
Now you have to look for suckers or cards graded decades ago. COMC is still your best bet for those things, because 10,000 individual sellers use COMC as a consignment service.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:43 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
That's heavy risk submitting cards with $0.25 and having to pay $15 (SGC) or $25 (PSA). No wonder they never show up on ebay.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yes, if you want them, you'll likely have to submit them yourself. We're no longer in the $6 grading specials for commons like 5 years ago. And we're miles away from the bulk grading that 4SC used to get where they could send a monster box of cards to PSA and get charged $2 to evaluate each card and only have to pay $5 or so for the ones that were determined to be PSA 10s for slabbing.
Now you have to look for suckers or cards graded decades ago. COMC is still your best bet for those things, because 10,000 individual sellers use COMC as a consignment service.
This 70% or more of what I submit, sports and nonsports.

The thing that nobody is mentioning is that cards from the 80s and 90s are being graded with extreme prejudice at PSA. They hired a ton of new graders after the covid boom and they seem to all have been trained on chrome/prizm/ultra modern standards. It is a situation thats been discussed frequently on blowout and other forums.

Aside from the high costs, as already mentioned, it just isn't worth submitting a common card that would've been a 10 in 2019 or earlier and getting a 7 or 8. If the standards had remained reliable, the cost would be an acceptable issue for me.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 08-22-2024, 04:01 PM

EBay "saved search" and waiting has worked for me, but not much the past few years...

Like someone else pointed out...since we've moved past the $6/$8 graded specials era, a lot have been snapped up. I know the ones I have are in a strongly held collection and will not make it back to market any time soon. This has everything to do with it's a card a want and nothing to do with what price I could get for it.

I have many saved searches from mid-1980s through the 2000s that are still unfulfilled because they rarely/never come up for auction or current sellers are pricing them through the roof.

Some cards don't have graded examples, or only 1 or 2 out in the wild. It helps to search the PSA/SGC registry to see if one has even been graded.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:31 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post

The thing that nobody is mentioning is that cards from the 80s and 90s are being graded with extreme prejudice at PSA. They hired a ton of new graders after the covid boom and they seem to all have been trained on chrome/prizm/ultra modern standards. It is a situation thats been discussed frequently on blowout and other forums.

Aside from the high costs, as already mentioned, it just isn't worth submitting a common card that would've been a 10 in 2019 or earlier and getting a 7 or 8. If the standards had remained reliable, the cost would be an acceptable issue for me.
This is god’s honest truth.

It has become near impossible to find common 10s and more impossible to submit one. As a Lance Parrish collector I can only wait for set breaks to get an addition or upgrade and he is a semi star to many. Getting a super common is a needle in a haystack.

This is why these cards in 10 are often ridiculously priced and even auctioned they go for a ton. A 1982 Topps Parrish sold for 545 in auction format the other day (glad I have mine). A 1979 Parrish can’t be touched under 2k. The prices for these cards because of grading costs has blown up.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post

This is correct. I am not a registry person - but this issue makes it difficult to collect certain sets that are driven by the registry. This includes a number of sets from the 1990's - 2000. One example is the 1991 Topps Desert Shield set. I don't think there will be any more PSA 10's given.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:26 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Thanks - lots of good comments.

I think it's pretty clear that the days of super low grading fees are gone (thats not all bad, IMO). Some of these cards never really made sense to grade, but people certainly did, and I thank them.

Its just a little bit of a bummer when the market makes huge changes that arent always easy to foresee. But I guess if you spend enough time in the hobby, that happens a lot.