NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-13-2022, 10:29 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Default Billy The Kid Photos

Anyone think there is more than one real Billy The Kid photo out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg billy the kid.jpeg (23.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by ThomasL; 03-13-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:15 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Anyone think there is more than one real Billy The Kid photo out there?
Yes, wasn't there a second confirmed photo of him from 1877, playing cards I believe? It wasn't discovered till 2019, but has great provenance, having all that time been in the hands of the family of the man Billy gave it to back in 1877.

And I think there's also a third reputed photo, of him, playing croquet outdoors with members of his Regulators gang and their families. This one was discovered back in 2010, but it did not come with great provenance and has not actually been confirmed as a photo of him. At least not yet, to my knowledge.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:53 PM
Al Richter

These may be what Bob mentioned. Have no idea about autheticity of either

Old 03-14-2022, 03:43 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Yes, those are the two pictures. The top one was apparently taken in 1877 and given to another outlaw friend of Billy's, named Billy Wilson, also known as David Anderson. It was then handed done through Anderson's family till brought to light just recently in 2019. Because of the story, provenance, and ownership in the one family for over 100 years, that photo has supposedly been confirmed as showing Billy the Kid (real name Henry McCarty) playing cards with members of his gang. It was verified by the George Eastman Museum, and historian Mark Osterman, as being a vintage period tintype photo. Billy is the player second from the left, and it has had the image matched with his only other confirmed photo. The names of the other three players are also known and known members of his gang. I believe the photo was then auctioned off by Sofe Design Auctions of Richardson, near Dallas, TX, back in November, 2019. But I didn't go digging to see what it sold for. The first originally confirmed photo of BTK, the one where he's standing by himself with a rifle at his side, last sold at auction back in 2011 for $2.3M.

There is supposedly another photo that surfaced around 2017 that shows five men, and allegedly includes images of BTK and Pat Garret, who ended up shooting and killing BTK. It has supposedly gone through forensic video and handwriting analysis to determine that it is actually Garret and BTK in the photo, but lacks the provenance of the photo of him playing cards. So like the other alleged BTK photo of him outdoors playing croquet, I don't believe this other five man group photo with Garret is considered fully confirmed yet either.

Can you imagine how crazy it would be if a confirmed photo of Billy the Kid playing baseball ever surfaced?

Last edited by BobC; 03-15-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:24 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

I do remember the croquet photo had a lot of debate about it, which seemed pretty 50/50 and they just went with one that gave it the thumbs up.

There was another photo a while back that came from the family of one of Billy's Hispanic friends (attached photo of two men)

A man in Oregon (I think) came across a large cache of photos that seemed like were tied to the Chisum family that had pretty obvious photos of Sallie Chisum and Tom O'Folliard among the group and very possibly one of Billy but he could not get historians to sign off on it for some reason...honestly I think he probably really found one of Billy. (attached portrait photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BTK-ElChivato.jpg (21.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg BTK1-SteveMcCarthy.jpg (16.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 02:28 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Here is the alleged Tom O'Folliard photo that was found in that Oregon cache...with side by side of a confirmed photo of him...I think it's pretty obviously him
Attached Images
File Type: png tom o'folliard.png (55.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 02:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
I do remember the croquet photo had a lot of debate about it, which seemed pretty 50/50 and they just went with one that gave it the thumbs up.

There was another photo a while back that came from the family of one of Billy's Hispanic friends (attached photo of two men)

A man in Oregon (I think) came across a large cache of photos that seemed like were tied to the Chisum family that had pretty obvious photos of Sallie Chisum and Tom O'Folliard among the group and very possibly one of Billy but he could not get historians to sign off on it for some reason...honestly I think he probably really found one of Billy. (attached portrait photo)
Great photos and info. I personally do not have the background and expertise to be giving opinions on people on 100+ year-old photos. I can see and acknowledge the resemblance, but that's about it for me. Interesting info though.

Also, do you seem to find it the least little bit too coincidental that all these alleged BTK photos don't start turning up till 130-140 years after Billy's death. Another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmm!
Old 03-15-2022, 04:13 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

I know this is a dumb question, but in the croquet photo, which one is supposed to be BTK?
Old 03-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I know this is a dumb question, but in the croquet photo, which one is supposed to be BTK?
Great question. I think it is supposed to be the one on the left.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:43 PM
Al Richter

Billy and Levi seem to be hat compatible
Old 03-16-2022, 05:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Billy and Levi seem to be hat compatible
Only if Billy wears awesome highly colorful hats.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I wonder what an authenticated BTK shootout worn hat would sell for...
Old 03-16-2022, 11:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I wonder what an authenticated BTK shootout worn hat would sell for...
Something ridiculous. If that one picture of him went for $2.3M a decade ago, can even begin to guess what some of his "game used memorabilia" () would fetch in today's market. Figure easy 7-figures, maybe more than that picture went for.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Something ridiculous. If that one picture of him went for $2.3M a decade ago, can even begin to guess what some of his "game used memorabilia" () would fetch in today's market. Figure easy 7-figures, maybe more than that picture went for.
Especially if it was his final shootout worn hat, with Pat Garrett signed letter of provenance, and a funeral service photo match...
Old 03-17-2022, 02:01 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Especially if it was his final shootout worn hat, with Pat Garrett signed letter of provenance, and a funeral service photo match...
LOL Nice!