NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Missing Star Cards from OPC Sets 1965-1970 and 1972

I got a couple of inquiries from Player Collectors about the availability of particular star cards from the older sets and the 1972 "high number" series. The older sets are "short sets" but done so with the same numbering and cards included in the same year Topps set, cut off after the first 200-300 cards depending on the set. Although initially disappointing, it actually supports even higher value for the HOF cards from the sets because there are even fewer of the individual HOFer player cards covering the era. For example, there are like 3,700 1971 Topps Roberto Clemente cards graded, and only 44 OPC. However, how many ever 1966 Clemente Topps cards are graded, the OPC ratio is zero, as the limited OPC set did not reach his number from the Topps set.

To satisfy collectors just starting into these, I am starting a list of the missing frontline HOF cards missing from these sets. I am only including those that I know that have substantial player collector followings. If you want specific information on a particular player or card, feel free to ask. Please feel free to add on any omissions.

1965: Koufax, Mantle (although the WS card is widely accepted as his 65 OPC), Carlton RC, Hunter RC, Perez RC, Yaz, Stargell

1966: Clemente, Aaron, Carlton, Stargell

1967: THE ONLY STAR CARDS INCLUDED IN THIS SET ARE MANTLE AND STARGELL. Someone should have gotten fired for this.

1968: Bench RC, Rose, Mantle

1969: Aaron, Seaver, R. Jackson RC, Yaz, Bonds RC,

1970: Ryan, Rose, Bench

1972: Ryan, Rose, Morgan traded
Old 04-13-2022, 11:47 AM

Fun information which I had no idea about, but should probably be in the Postwar cards section.

Brian
Old 04-13-2022, 12:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Fun information which I had no idea about, but should probably be in the Postwar cards section.

Brian
Agreed on both points.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:37 AM

Ryan does appear on 2 1970 OPC, an NL Playoff game card #197 Ryan saves the day!, and an WS card #198 We're number one! with 3 other Mets.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:51 PM
Larry More.y

The 197 Ryan card is one of the tougher cards in the 70 OPC set. Perhaps because it is Ryan's only "lone" appearance in the set??