NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 PM
T0m P00n

I'm selling all stocks and cards and hoarding gasoline
Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
I'm selling all stocks and cards and hoarding gasoline
And are you liquidating your stockpile of toilet paper to fund your gasoline acquisition?

Personally, I have a delivery of Scotch and Bourbon scheduled for today to get me through the tough times!

What better time to drink than if you can't afford to drive?

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 05-13-2021, 07:00 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
And are you liquidating your stockpile of toilet paper to fund your gasoline acquisition?

Personally, I have a delivery of Scotch and Bourbon scheduled for today to get me through the tough times!

What better time to drink than if you can't afford to drive?
To paraphrase Freewheelin' Franklin... Scotch will get you through times of no more better than money will get you through times of no Scotch.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Historically speaking, price pull-backs have not been 100% of the gains and have presented good buying opportunities. I have banked all the profits from selling into this bubble and will use the same to purchase inventory once the fear locks in and the true distress sales start. Figure about 6-12 months after the bubble first pops.

As for when and how it will pop, as major events reopen we will see money shift back to other forms of fun. That will slow the roll. Watch the sell-through rates on auctions. They are still unprecedentedly high. When the passed lots fall back to typical rates it will crush the speculators and wring out the excess.

The puppy in a python effect of the grading backlog will definitely slam modern and common postwar. It is already happening with some issues I track. I really like a few of the Star Michael Jordan issues, as a collector. They have peaked and are now retreating. I checked the other day on one issue, the Gatorade, and was shocked to see how many graded cards are available for sale at prices that would have been instant sales a few months ago.

The fact that we have multiple threads going on this is a good indicator that The Fear is setting in.

The mind of The Hobby is seized by a fatal dry rot - and it's only a question of time before all that the mind controls will run amuck in a frenzy of stupid, impotent fear.--with apologies to Hunter S. Thompson

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-13-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 AM
J0hn H@rper

The gains in the US stock market in the last 30-40 years defy all logic. Is it really possible for the world's largest economy to grow about 15 times in just four decades? We'd have to be expanded to the moon and Mars by now.

My assumption is that the 401 k becoming a new societal norm around the late '80s (combined with very low to moderate interest rates the entire time) has led to this massive house of cards being built in the securities markets. And if either of those factors ever changes, especially the interest rates, then look out.

BUT....can anyone really guess when any of that might happen? I stopped trying to ages ago, and never should have to begin with.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:33 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Pre WW

Cobbs And Ruth’s Centered Grades 4 and Up Best Of Breed...
To me lower grades are way over priced and are abundant.

Post WW II

Mantle/Jackie/and Mays are best in show, Centered Grades 6 and Up.

I’ve studies these names and graded example types for over 20 years, these have and in my opinion will continue to outperform the other names If buying and holding for the long term. If you want Steady Eddie Sleep Well at Night Investments in Cardboard these are where it’s at.

Those are the only ones I’ve ever considered as investment or worth hedging with as part of long term investment portfolio.

The rest could get hammered.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-13-2021 at 08:39 AM.