NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Default Misaligned T206 in PSA holder

Hi all. I sent a small order of cards to a third party for PSA grading, and received the cards back today.

Unfortunately, this T206 appears to be wedged under the top border in the interior of the case. I’ve whacked it against a hard surface numerous times but it just will not budge.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it more likely a result of the grading process, or could something like this happen during shipping?

And if this has happened to you, how did you address it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

IMG_8311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by inceptus; 08-23-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:39 PM
Bruce C@rter

I have had them do it to me before. Not coming from grader though. I just lightly tapped the bottom on a desk or something else hard and they moved back into place. Do not hit hard enough to crack the case though.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:43 PM

I've had one like this and while tapping can generally safely move/center a card, when I did it on one pinched like this it held on quite firmly and eventually tore the card (sigh).

I removed it from the holder and it's now raw for those who care about that kind of thing.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:59 PM

Actually, the scan from PSA looks fine, so it must have happened during shipping…

IMG_8280.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2023, 04:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Put it in the fridge for a while to shrink the molecular structure of the plastic, then try tapping it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-23-2023, 06:04 PM
Mike

Same thing happened to me a few years ago . I still have it. Didn't want to send it in and wait another year to get it back. It won't budge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (196.5 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 08-23-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-23-2023, 07:05 PM

I've had to go the tapping route a few times, but not with something like a Factory 42 back.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:14 PM
Frank Wakefield

For the west coast brethren who are wise in the ways of molecular structure, wouldn't cold also tighten the hard plastic case? Wouldn't a bit of warmth (I'm talking holding it near one's skin for a bit to get the case warmer, NOT applying fire or oven heat), and THEN tapping the bottom of the case against a piece of cloth laying atop a table or desk... give that a try if the cooling doesn't help.

It shouldn't take a lot of force, it should take a fair amount of slight repetitive force, such as might happen jiggling along through the mails.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Maybe like a ketchup bottle, the proper method would be to tap the side of the slab? Now I'm hungry.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
For the west coast brethren who are wise in the ways of molecular structure, wouldn't cold also tighten the hard plastic case? Wouldn't a bit of warmth (I'm talking holding it near one's skin for a bit to get the case warmer, NOT applying fire or oven heat), and THEN tapping the bottom of the case against a piece of cloth laying atop a table or desk... give that a try if the cooling doesn't help.

It shouldn't take a lot of force, it should take a fair amount of slight repetitive force, such as might happen jiggling along through the mails.
I've tried both methods with success, during the run up PSA sourced a really bad batch of holders from China that slippage happened, usually in shipping, depending on how the card was wedged I tried contraction first which worked on a couple, others worked with expansion (heat), again depending on the nature of the wedgie, I would try both. Also, used the palm of my hand to strike against, never a hard surface for fear of cracking the slap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-23-2023, 08:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

Phil, thank you, Sir!

Inceptus, it is up to you, now. Please tap that rascal, one way or another; let us know the results, a photo, and how you'd do it next time.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Maybe like a ketchup bottle, the proper method would be to tap the side of the slab? Now I'm hungry.
Probably more like the bottle of wine and a shoe.

Now I'm thirsty.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Same thing happened to me a few years ago . I still have it. Didn't want to send it in and wait another year to get it back. It won't budge.
Yikes!
Old 09-01-2023, 05:13 PM

Often this is a result of cards that were shipped by plane, the altitude depressurizes the slab and allows the card to float in the holder. I once saw a group of Nrmt T207's that were all 7's/8's and upon delivery to the recipient each one was well out of the centered position and nearly every one impossible to tap into place.

At the time PSA made the submitter whole, based on damage to some cards in the form of ridge type depressions made in the cards.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:18 PM

Thanks all! Interesting discussion, as always.

The third-party that sent the card to PSA requested that I return it to them, so it's in their hands now. I'll follow up when it's back in my hands.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:37 PM
Frank Wakefield

thank you for the update!
Old 09-02-2023, 09:19 AM

Default Friends In High Places ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inceptus View Post
Thanks all! Interesting discussion, as always.

The third-party that sent the card to PSA requested that I return it to them, so it's in their hands now. I'll follow up when it's back in my hands.
;, Is there any conjecture in here about still nowadays having someone well-known and friendly to a Third Party Grader do their submitting for them. ? Has it been known to work lately ? I thought those bad old days were history ??