NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Bert Hunter (Negro League) auto authentication advice

I recently picked up a late 30s or early 40s snapshot of a few pitchers including Bertrum Hunter and Sad Sam Thompson and signed by Hunter. I was hoping to get it authenticated but PSA doesn't have Hunter in its database of signatures...or at least I couldn't find it. I'm surprised as he was a pretty strong pitcher at various points with the Grays, Monarchs, and Crawfords and, if memory serves, pitched in the first East-West All Star game.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how I might go about getting this authenticated. Does PSA have a research request contact for autographs? Or is Beckett or someone else a better bet?

Getting it authenticated isn't the be all and end all, of course, but it would make me happy and, whenever possible, I try to get LOAs for my photos just so my kids can more easily manage them when I pass.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bert hunter pic.jpg (68.9 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg bert hunter auto.jpg (69.9 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 06-02-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:52 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

He is not listed on JSA's list either but I did find one with an auction LOA from JSA for a Clean Sweep auction so they will probably authenticate him. You would have to call and verify and find out the fee. The one I found said it was the only known photo authenticated but who knows. You can find it and compare yours to it. It was a signed note with a full first name rather than an initial. Yours looks to be a close match to me. It is for sale on Ebay for a grand.

Last edited by rand1com; 06-02-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Thank you very much! I will reach out to JSA.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:33 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I am surprised about PSA, I would reach out. Kevin Keating, there head authenticator, is a leading expert of Negro League Autographs.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I am surprised about PSA, I would reach out. Kevin Keating, there head authenticator, is a leading expert of Negro League Autographs.
I can try that. Any chance you could steer me to contact information that might reach the autograph authentication department directly? Except for the card research department, I never seem to have any luck getting touch with PSA without extremely long delays.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:08 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Sorry, I can't help more.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:02 PM

I had a Bud Fowler handwritten letter that PSA had for a while and did a ton of research before finally passing it. I think they are the best when it comes to Negro League stuff so if they have no examples to go off, it is actually probably a plus for you as that means it is exceedingly rare.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default update

It's been a few months, but I just got an email from PSA saying that autograph has been authenticated (the photo was authenticated as Type 1 earlier). I appreciate all of the advice and just wanted to say thanks.